Nikon D40

It depends on how much money you have. If you are not limited financially, and can afford the D60, go for it. The only useful extra feature it has, to me it seems, is integrated sensor cleaning.

However, if you are limited financially (which you most probably are), there are so many better ways with which to spend $200 - an extra lens, filters, bag, other accessories... which is why I cannot reccomend the much more expensive D60 to anyone who does not have money to burn.

As for the XSI, it has live view but does not have a rotating screen, making the live view pretty pointless, you may as well look through the finder and cut down significantly on battery usage (and, of course, it will FEEL like an SLR ;) ). Live view isn't really a good reason to get it over a Nikon, especially in its current state.

Try both the Nikon's and Canon's hands-on. The one which feels best and most natural to you will probably be the one for you. Both are very capable. It is critical that you try out both manufacturers for yourself.

Dont get a hood for the 18-55. If it would make use of one it would have came with it. When i first got my d40x with that lens i made the mistake of getting a 52mm pedal hood. The problem is the 18-55 has a rotating from element, so if you get one of those hood it will be lined up correctly one second, then the lens will focus and it will protrude into the picture. The other alrernative it to just get one of those cone hood but still you dont know if it will get in the frame and it most likely wont be effective,

The kit lens is supposed to take the HB-45, not a petal hood, it won't work with it.

crap i bought a D60 :( (looks for receipt)

As far as the warranty you would have to send the camera to the US for any work. If you use a Canadian Nikon repair shop you will probably be charged.

Just bought my D-40 this week. I got the package and upgraded to the vr on the 55-200(which did come with a hood).

I shot 130 pictures today at our towns Memorial Day service, very pleased to say the least!!!!!!!!!!!! I deceided to just go with auto setting today as I had a close friend who just returned from Iraq giving the speach and did not want to mess up. Pretty good pics, much to be learned yet but the camera did not disapoint me one bit. Happy I chose it after months of research.......... As for the VR it cost me a extra 50$ and was worth every penny, I shot yesterday with it turned off and on, shot for shot, the difference was easily seen, vr is the way to go. Good luck with your purchase, I am sure you will be pleased.........................

FINALLYYYY.... I got it!!! I am extremely pleased, taken over 2000 pics already!!

Most reactions

Back