Nikon D40

Nick96

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yes I know their is a countless number of other threads on this but i still have a few questions. Ive heard great things about the d40 but also have heard that it can hold back potential after time. Ive heard that it does not have a built in AF motor, what does this mean and what does this hold back. Ive also been looking into the Canon Rebel series and they seem very promising though itt costs a little more. Suggestsions and what does the AF motor affect.

Also does anyone know an affordable camera site that is reliable.

AF = autofocus. This means that the D40 can only autofocus with lenses that have a built in AF motor. There are a lot, but they're generally more expensive than their non "built in motor" counterparts.

Simple: I owned a D40 as my first DSLR:

NO AF motor in the camera body, means the camera will not auto focus with the older AF lens. If you buy Nikon AF-S lens that have a AF motor built it to them for the D40 to auto focus. For example, the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 is an older AF lens and you would have to manualy focus it. Sigma makes lens that are labled "HSM" which will auto focus with the D40 since they have a built in AF motor.

As for the Canon they have the AF motor so that is not an issue but I suggest holding each before you decide!

they do not have a motor built in them to auto focus. This does not matter much, unless you think you will be purchasing many lenses. There are many that have a motor in them. A lot of newer lenses have motors. If you plan on using many good lenses, you shouldnt be looking at a d40.

Ok so their is no autofocus, Is it a changle to manualy focus on the object you are trying to shoot.And yes i will get my hands on both at the store

How serious about photograghy are you.... What are your plans, how often are you going to use it? What for?

These are questions I recently asked myself b4 buying a D60.... Right now I am not a serious photogragher, but I have bee playing with the idea of taking it more seriously. I have used my previous cams for Family events, and casual photog of my cars and bikes....

The above have answered your major question about the motor..... You will only outgrow a camera if you are using it very often, in various conditions for various events... If you only plan on using it once every 3 months or so, it should be a good setup for you for at least a year or two.

I am new here, so my input does not have alot of experience backing it.... Good luck with your purchase.

When I got the D40 I was not thinking I would be going into photography to seriously.... one year later.... I am shooting a Formal Ball this Sat. as an assistant photographer;-) So I guess you never know..

Most reactions

Back