nikon d40x or canon eos 450d?

dog1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
considering that i have no experience in photography, and the £200 difference in price (nikon around £400, canon around £600), what are your recommendations? what would you do if you were in my position?

If you go nikon go d40, its actually better than d40x.

is there anything in particular that makes the d40 a better camera than the d40x?

for a beginner, what would be the better buy? the 450d, or one of the nikkons?

would buying the less expensive nikkon body along with a better lens, rather than the canon eos 450d kit be advisable?

High ISO performance is one biggie. Also, I believe the D40 has a higher flash sync than the D40x (I think). May not seem like much, but it could be important down the road (it sure has been for me lately).

I'm a big Nikon fan. That said, I would choose the 450d over the D40/D40x. The D40 series lacks the ability to autofocus with quite a few lenses...(you need AFS or AIS lenses). A lot of the primes that are a lot of fun (and inexpensive) won't autofocus with the D40/x and D60.

However..... if you can afford a D80, then it is a great camera and I would choose it over the 450d.

is there anything in particular that makes the d40 a better camera than the d40x?

for a beginner, what would be the better buy? the 450d, or one of the nikkons?

would buying the less expensive nikkon body along with a better lens, rather than the canon eos 450d kit be advisable?

Well for starters, the Nikon D60 is the current entry level offering from Nikon and it's probably more fair for comparison. Many people don't like that the Nikon D40-D60 won't AF with all current lenses in the line up. I believe Nikon did this to cut down on size and cost of their cameras.

Well for starters, the Nikon D60 is the current entry level offering from Nikon and it's probably more fair for comparison. Many people don't like that the Nikon D40-D60 won't AF with all current lenses in the line up. I believe Nikon did this to cut down on size and cost of their cameras.

I agree. The problem is that if you begin to buy many lenses, then that cost is quickly thrown out the window by having to purchase more expensive AF-S lenses instead of the many, many great "Nikon's of the Past".

thank you for your replies!

i understand that these two cameras are in different price ranges and that it is hard to campare the two. what i meant to ask was, for the money, which camera is the best buy for a beginner? is the canon overpriced, therefore making the nikon a better choice for me? or do you pay for what you get with the canon?

Considering your price range, get the Canon. If you get Nikon D40 and decide to expand with lenses in the future, you'll be limited in a lot of ways. So...for your money, I think the 450d is the better camera and worth the extra cash.

For what it's worth. I bought a D40 kit as my first DSLR. 2 months later I sold it and picked up a used D70s because I was already finding the limitation to be too much.....so I'm speaking from a semi-costly experience.

You have to remember the d40 is marketed it those who will most likely keep the kit lens on all the time. If you dont think you will want anymore lenses you will be fine. Even if you do want to upgrade theres the 55-200mm VR and the 70-300mm VR and you can also use all Sigma HSM lenses.

You cant only consider price, but whats right for you. Personaly i think the Nikon has a MUCH better build and is way easier to use and is also more comfortable. Go to the store and see what you like and get that.

thank you everyone for your help. i shall be on my way down to the shop very soon.

Most reactions

Back