Nikon D40x Vs D80

NikonD40x@Denver

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.thecreativejuicemagazine.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at the D40x, from what i've seen it is not much different from the D80.....does anyone think otherwise...please list

Oh, and if you have suggestions what type of lenses should a beginner buy.:camera:

Just like a car, both will get you to your destination - the question is do you want an affordable KIA, or would you rather have - for a few dollars more - that Escalade with all the creature comforts?

2 Customer Reviews 4.5
shim.gif
nikon.gif

shim.gif
shim.gif
<H1>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nikon D40x, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera Kit with Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens[/FONT]</H1>
shim.gif
Mfr# 9421 &#8226; B&H# NID40X1855</SPAN>
shim.gif
shim.gif
Price:$ 699.9​

&#8226;

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens with Front & Rear Lens Caps &#8226;

EN-EL9 Rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery &#8226;

MH-23 Quick Charger &#8226;

UC-E4 USB Cable &#8226;

DK-6 Rubber Eyecup &#8226;

BF-1A Body Cap &#8226;

DK-5 Eyepiece Cap &#8226;

BS-1 Accessory Shoe Cap &#8226;

Camera Strap &#8226;

PictureProject Software CD-ROM &#8226;

User Guide &#8226;

1-Year Nikon U.S.A. Limited Warranty

Make sure it is a good site as that sound too good to be true? There are a few sites that sell them real cheap and then tell you that you baught the non US version and it is out of stock, so they ask if you would like the US versions witch is X $ more:( Look at B&H photos, they are reliable from what I hear. If the prices of a web site are not close to B&H than it is probably no good.

Wisetronics is part of the Bait-And-Switch online stores. I guess you can purchase from them, but be prepared to fight to get what you order.

If you go to eBay - you can get a good deal, as I did.

Nikon D80, 10.2 Megapixel, SLR Digital Camera with Nikon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens. http://www.wisetronics.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=nkd80k18135

Does this look like a good deal?

ah no, it doesn't. It looks like you would spend about 6 months trying to get your money back.
Click on the B&H or Adorama links at the top right of this page.

If you are going to be a family/travel shooter, the D40x (unless you have medium to large hands) and a 18-200 VR is all you would need except a flash some extra batteries, memory cards, circular polarizer, neutral density filters, tripod, and a bag.

mike

I'm looking at the D40x, from what i've seen it is not much different from the D80.....does anyone think otherwise...please list

I've said it enough times. It's a the DSLR equivalent of a point and shoot. It is an SLR and has interchangeable lenses, but it has no Autofocus motor. That means more than half of Nikon's CURRENT lenses will not fully work with it, let alone any older lens.

I wouldn't buy it for that reason alone.

Just like a car, both will get you to your destination - the question is do you want an affordable KIA, or would you rather have - for a few dollars more - that Escalade with all the creature comforts?

That largely depends on the price of gas, seeing that the KIA gets about 15 more MPG.

That largely depends on the price of gas, seeing that the KIA gets about 15 more MPG.

I ride a motorcycle, so I have no idea. . .o-0

If you want thoughts on the D80, here are mine:

Lightweight (if you're not a complete weakling), has a sturdy construction - even if it is made out of plastic, and looks sexy as hell. There are a ton of buttons and features, with the most used camera controls (ISO control, quality of picture, white balance, exposure settings, and even adjusting custom colors) no more than a button or two away.

The menu, and in-camera functions are so much better than my previous D50, you can even do slight photo adjustments to the pictures in-camera including cropping and lighting, and save the resultant image as a seperate photo (so as not to destroy the original).

Other than that, I would check out Nikonians.com or DPReview.com and read the users reviews if you want a wide range of opinions on the camera. Thom Hogan also has a review of both the D80 and D40/x and comes to the conclusion that they are virtually the same. So really what it all comes down to, is whose opinion you will put more stock in.

Fotoconnection is another scam site.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productList&A=buyUsed&Q=449061

That is one of the best deals youre going to find. 820 (including tax) for a base D80. Plus another 100 for a 50MM 1.8 lens. Looking at 940 or so for a D80 package. You're really not going to find a better deal, unless you look around locally (and in your area folks are selling lenses pretty cheap so you can start there).

Seriously - no website is going to bulk sale a D80 w/ lens for that cheap.

Most reactions

Back