Nikon D50 or Lumix G1?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by sam_justice, Aug 4, 2010.

1. sam_justice

sam_justice TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I've been offered one of the two, not sure which one to take, have used both cameras for an amount of time. But I'm still unsure, ideas?

2. flyingember

flyingember TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon has more lenses available that are doubtless better but the D50 is 2-3 years older than the Panasonic.

The G1 has a smaller sensor (micro 4/3) which could be noisier but it's also a newer sensor tech so it could be comparable.

The G1 is slightly heavier. but the D50 is probably bigger.

Nikon is a more respected brand with many not that Panasonic is a bad brand.

at the end of the day it's going to be a gut decision. My assesment is to go for the newer camera if it's a toss up. Especially if you're unlikely to buy more lenses.

3. FemFugler

FemFugler TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd go with the Nikon.

4. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Boy...tough call...I think I'd rather have the G1 as a fun camera to carry and to play around with. The D50 on the other hand, has pretty jazzed up color, straight out of camera, and is one of the better straight out of camera JPEG d-slr models Nikon has ever made...tough call,really,a tough decision.

5. sam_justice

sam_justice TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Exactly, after using both for some while now, the image quality is better on the Panasonic. Buut, the compositions are far nicer on the Nikon, the colours are a lot richer and it is a joy to use. The G1 feels like a glorified point and shoot camera. I think I'm going to go with the D50, I've seen some stunning pictures taken with this camera, whereas not many with the G1 (I know it's a new camera and all but still)

6. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    You can get cheap but quality lenses from film SLRs on eBay to use on the G1 if you do not mind shooting manual focus.

7. Idahophoto

Idahophoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would go with the Nikon, but have to admit I have been wanting to play with a Lumix for some time and may end up getting one before long. The reason for Nikon though is easy as you will be able to get lenses and other accessories much easier and cheaper for it than the Lumix. Every major 3rd party makes stuff for it and they have been around long enough you can find real good glass at pawn shops even. Lumix you will have a far more difficult time doing the same with.

8. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Cost wise, the G1 (with kit lens) should cost more than D50 (with kit lens).

9. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    True... Less available lenses for m4/3rd mount. If you like manual focus lenses, then there are 100s more available for m4/3rd via adapters (which is part of the fun for me).

True.. I can't say as I only have the G1 but the measurements (taken with a grain of salt) taken by dxomark place the G1 and D50 very close.

The biggest difference is in the lenses. Remember, the best camera is the one you'll take with you.

[​IMG]

14-42 and 9-18mm lenses. Both are smaller and lighter weight than my Canon 50mm f/1.4.

But for m4/3rd and P&S, Panasonic is very well known...

I am afraid the answer here in the TPF will often biased towards the DSLR simply because there are not that many people here with a m4/3rd camera. I can only count probably less than 5 people (including me).

I will add more later... time to hit traffic on my way home. For now you can read my G1 assessment:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-my-thoughts-panasonic-g1-w-manual-glass.html

10. Newnan3

Newnan3 TPF Noob!

I have a Panasonic GF1 which i bought before I really got into photography. I considered getting a more traditional dslr but I decided to keep what I had and be happy with it. So far I have a prime and zoom lense and Im not feeling like I will need to get another anytime soon.

Theres fewer native lenses available for the m4/3 format but for me thats a good thing because theres less equipment for me to lust over.

Less equipment envy for me means I can put more energy towards whats going to really improve my pictures and less energy towards thinking about what equipment I need....

my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/44706805@N07/

11. Mbnmac

Mbnmac TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My parents have the G1 and I used it for some time in Feb this year, it's a really nice fun camera but limited going forward, they are making more lenses now, but you won't ever get the range you'll have the with Nikon.

Honestly, if you think that the lenses on the Lumix will be enough for you I say go for that, if it won't be a huge hobby/investment for you but a fun and good camera it's a great choice.
    If you are interested in making alot more out of it in the future, maybe the Nikon will give you a better start

12. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    You have an absolutely huge choice of lenses not limited to ones made for a specific camera brand if you are willing to manual focus. I have two native lenses sitting in the cupboard & 17 others bought cheap on eBay that I use 95% of the time. Manual focus trumps auto for much of my shooting.