Nikon D50 (SLR)

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by rockstar, Aug 22, 2006.

1. rockstar

rockstar TPF Noob!

Hello all! I'm new to photography and I've been doing some research on some digital SLR cameras. I've fallen in love with the Nikon D50, because, from the sound of the reviewers, it's the best bang-for-the-buck digital SLR out there. As, I've mentioned, I am new to photography so something as expensive as the Nikon D50 probably will be more than I need, in terms of photo-taking but I'd eventually want to take photography more seriously. Just letting you all know so you don't flame a beginner for buying such a crazy camera.

Anyway, my questions are (1) how good is this camera and (2) can some of you post some pictures up, taken with a Nikon D50? For the latter, I know the quality is all dependant upon the photographer and equipment being used, but just as a generality, I'd like to see what it CAN do.

Thanks!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I don't have a D50 (I'm more of a Canon guy) but the D50 is certainly a great camera. It will definitely allow you to grow as your knowledge of photography increases.

The Canon Rebel XT is quite similar to the D50 and would also be a good fit. I don't mean to start a Canon vs Nikon debate...they are both very good cameras. I suggest going into a store and holding them, playing with them. Get the one that feels best to you.

The D50 and Rebel XT are entry level DSLR cameras. You might be able to upgrade to a higher level body with not much more money. The Nikon D70s and Canon 20D are both a step higher than the D50 or Rebel...but have both been recently discontinued...which means you might find a good deal on one.
    Nikon's D80 and Canon's 30D are the new models.

Also, it is rumored to be an upgrade to the Rebel XT coming in September...which would probably be better than either the Rebel XT or the D50...for around the same price.

3. skiboarder72

skiboarder72 No longer a newbie, moving up!

4. TommiP

TommiP TPF Noob!

I recently got a D50, my first slr and i think it is great, loads for features, nice to use and a good price for what you get. I would not hesitate in recommending one. A brilliant Camera.

Go to a shop and try one out.

5. fotogenik

fotogenik TPF Noob!

I use a D50 (as seen in my signature) and photo's I have taken are available on my websites listed below.

Cheers,

6. joyride

joyride TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Also, I wen tiwht the D50, aminly for price and feel. It just fit in my hand much better. The feel of the D50 really sealed the deal for me. I wold suggest grabing both of them. As for the pictures I have taken with it: http://homepages.wmich.edu/~j2cervin

7. dsp921

dsp921 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D50 is a great camera. Go to pbase.com and do a search on D50, it'll give you plenty of pictures taken with that camera. Also, don't forget that the lens used makes a huge difference in image quality. With that in mind, if you get the D50, pass on the 18-55 kit lens and kick in a little extra money for the 18-70mm (the one that comes with the D70s kit), it's built a lot better (metal lens mount instead of the 18-55's plastic mount) and is better optically.

8. D-50

D-50 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree 100% with getting the 18-70, its a much more solid lens.

9. forzaF1

forzaF1 Ultimate Ferrari Tifosi

Photos OK to edit
    I love my D50. All of the pics on my site(link in my signature) were taken with my D50(mostly with my 70-300mm ED lens and some with my 28-80mm)

10. rockstar

rockstar TPF Noob!

thanks for all the replies guys and gals!
    those pictures are excellent!

i've definitely made up my mind about getting a D50 (i'm getting one)!

11. ravikiran

ravikiran TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello Rockstar,
    Welcome to the forum. And CONGRATULATIONS on getting a new D50. It's just wonderful. I too got one. But I would like to suggest you one thing. Get the best possible lens after considering all of your options (your preferences, mode of photography, and above all budget). Selection of lens is the most priority issue in SLR's.
    thankyou,

amiably,
    Ravi Kiran.s

12. MommyOf4Boys

MommyOf4Boys TPF Noob!

I have been using the D50 for about a year now. It is an entry level digital SLR camera, but do not let ENTRY LEVEL fool you. You still need to know how to use an SLR and it can give some great results. Really, the camera is not the biggest factor when it comes to quality of images. It mainly relys on the photographer and the lenses you use.
    Here are some of my photographs that I have done with the D50:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a very small sample of course.