Nikon D50 vs Canon Rebel XT?

VThokies03

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have heard both mentioned numerous times are good choices for a digital SLR for a beginner. Which would you recommend?

Thanks...it is an issue. Is this a good choice for a beginner who might want to upgrade later? I'm hoping to build up a collection of lenses over time, so I want to make sure that I'm not wasting my money if I choose to upgrade later.

Both cameras are very good.

I suggest going into a store an holding both of them. Try them out and find out which one feels best to you. You can do a side by side comparison at www.dpreview.com

VThokies03 said:
Thanks...it is an issue. Is this a good choice for a beginner who might want to upgrade later? I'm hoping to build up a collection of lenses over time, so I want to make sure that I'm not wasting my money if I choose to upgrade later.

Either camera would be a good choice if you are planning to upgrade later. Canon & Nikon make some of the best lenses...and the lenses that are compatible with these cameras are compatible with those companies other Digital SLR cameras, as well as their 35mm Film SLR cameras.

i preferred to save up 2 months longer and get Rebel XT (350d)... it fits me better... it has DOF preview button and I use it quite often... and... it meters light with manual old lenses from zenit through a cheap reduction ring only, so I don't need light meter.

I agree with everything said above.

One other minor consideration, is if you happen to have any close relatives or friends that are interested in photography and have a selection of good lenses that they would be willing to lend to you, It might be advantageous to purchase the same system to take advantage of that.

The first thing I'd consider is previous lens stock. If you've got a large pile of Nikon Lenses around, get the D50. If you've (or anyone else who would be willing to loan you stuff) got a pile of Canon lenses compatible with the 350D (from what I here Canon's backwards compatibility isn't quite up to Nikon standards), get the Rebel XT.

Barring that, they're both great cameras, so get whichever one feels best. The 350D is notably smaller than the D50. For me, I couldn't get a solid grip on it, while the D50 clicked in my hands. My roommate was the exact opposite, and ended up with the 350D because it worked perfect for him. You'll be using the camera a LOT, so get one that feels good.

I recently had the same question. It came down to either the Canon Rebel XT or the Nikon D50. In the end, after holding both cameras, I chose the D50. It felt better. Sturdier. I was more comfortable holding it.

As for the features...I found them to be very comparable. The Canon might take better shots but personally, Nikon was the best choice.

Anyway, my point is to get ahold of each one. Find out which fits you better. That is the right choice.

Most reactions

Back