nikon d50 vs. d70

JonMikal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
if you're on the fence, read this. http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d50.htm#summary

i shot a d70 for 2 years and after reading many reviews, especially this one, i purchased a d50 for comparison. with the exception of a few features, the d50 IS a d70. look specifically for the differences, most will never miss/use the added features of the d70. IMO, my work has not suffered from the switch.

just some food for thought if you're struggling with the price difference.

Well I am waiting for my tax return to get a camera. Was going for the d70 until I saw this and read the article and started thinking the d50 might be for me except the biggy was d50 has no dof preview button! Ugggggggggg... I use this all the time on my f100 and is definitly a must have.

zedin said:
Well I am waiting for my tax return to get a camera. Was going for the d70 until I saw this and read the article and started thinking the d50 might be for me except the biggy was d50 has no dof preview button! Ugggggggggg... I use this all the time on my f100 and is definitly a must have.

there ya go, but i've never found it useful. figure i know enough about f/ that i don't need it.

Yeah.. for normal pics no dof preview is fine since it is fairly easy to know but I do too much macro stuff and have yet to really figure out a system for what will be in focus and what won't be so I use dof a ton for close ups.

photo gal said:
Thanks for the info Jon, I've been thinking about the d70, now I 'm gonna look more into the d50! : )

:thumbup:

To me the only drawback to the D50 is it's use of SD flash cards instead of Compact flash cards. The CF cards are "standard" for most DSLR's. If I were to buy a D50/D70, I would lean to the D70 for compatibility reasons with my other DSLR's. If you are moving up from a P&S, the SD cards might be an advantage for you as your old camera would most likely have also used them.

jstuedle said:
To me the only drawback to the D50 is it's use of SD flash cards instead of Compact flash cards. The CF cards are "standard" for most DSLR's. If I were to buy a D50/D70, I would lean to the D70 for compatibility reasons with my other DSLR's. If you are moving up from a P&S, the SD cards might be an advantage for you as your old camera would most likely have also used them.

something to consider. :thumbup:

thanks Jon for your opinion here... you know that I'm saving cash for a dslr and I am thinking about canon 350d... but the price is still to high for me... I was also thinking about d50 but I read a few very negative opinions... but on the other hand d50 is I think the cheapest dslr on the market... I'll think about it :p

I really cannot understand why people keep thinking that the only choice in a digital slr is between Canon and Nikon. People keep forgetting the Olympus E300/Evolt. They dropped the price recently so you can get a DSLR easily as good as a Canon or Nikon for a lot less.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e300-review/index.shtml
If you read the review, my answer to some of his negative points are:
My E300 has Firewire - way faster than USB.
I have had no sharpness issues with my E300 - but the firmware has been updated.

I'm happy with mine and it's well worth a look.

That olympus looks tacky and cheap. Id much rather a Nikon over that. but then again I bought the canon over the nikon, go figure/ hehe..

Hertz van Rental said:
I really cannot understand why people keep thinking that the only choice in a digital slr is between Canon and Nikon.
This thread would appear to be a comparison of two specific Nikons - not just another brand vs brand ramble.

Most reactions

Back