nikon d50 vs. d70

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt">Oops! Sorry about the sore eyes everyone. My PC screen is projected on a 10 foot wall, it&#8217;s easy to forget the size thing. I&#8217;ll try to remember from now on. Anyway&#8230;I wish that I put a little more thought into my last post, Rob&#8217;s opinion is a good one. Don&#8217;t get me wrong, I still stick by my last post, but I realize that the D100 doesn&#8217;t appeal to everyone&#8217;s pocket or technical ability. I therefore give my vote to the D50. The price tag&nbsp;is the only&nbsp;reason for this decision.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN></P>

im glad this has turned into a thread where all brands are compared to be honest as this forum needs one! its great reading everyones opinions, thanx, i cannot add anything as yet but keep it up *thums up*

i Got myself a D50, no complaints, Except i cant find burst shoot, i dont really need seeing the camera shoots so fast!!

thanks for the link. But I'm still considering... d50 / d70 / or canon 350d.... but still not enough cash...

and sorry for bumping the thread:) but I'm looking for more opinions on d50... comparing to d70

heheh I'd like to and I have to admit that I'd be the most happier with it... but I'll have to collect much more cash... or... I'll buy second hand canon but I'll have to w8... now people do not sale used 350d :(

I think they have Firewire 800 now, its twice as fast. They are looking at doubling or tripling that soon.

I doubt that the theoretical transfer speed matters at all when your CF/SD-card is the limiting factor. I've yet to see the card which would fully max out USB2.0.
What use is a speedway on which you could drive 600km/h when the fastest car only does 300 or 400 ;-) (let alone the usual cars which are even slower)

Polygon said:
What use is a speedway on which you could drive 600km/h when the fastest car only does 300 or 400

Not much use now, but sooner or later someone designs a car that does drive 600 km/h. It eventually filters down to the general public (like me). You are right the transfer speeds don't matter much with CF but I did want to correct the statement that USB2.0 is faster than firewire, it just isn't true. What is that quote I heard about USB2.0? Something like, 'It's yesterdays technology today'.

I held a d70 last night and goodness it's big compared to my 350D and i have big hands. It was easy enough to hold just alot more bulky. The kit lens is better than Canon's. It is obviously more expensive and better built (the lens). The camera seemed good but didn't really know how to use it properly. I managed to get a properly exposed shot but couldnt see it's quality as couldn't download it. I've seen images form the D70 hoguh and it's obviously a nice pice of kit....

not a 350 thoguh :D

I bought a D70s because Nikon lenses are compatible with all Nikon bodies. For a photographer who's on a budget, this is important since we all know that technology changes so fast and before we know it there'll be a newer body with higher mpx etc. So if we can't afford the entire kit, we can at least get the body and use our existing lens.

hi,

well im also one of those who was first looking at the Canon 350D, but then read reviews about nikon 50D and 70D, and also 'held' the nikons in my hands and since then i think i have to say the professional feeling is definatly stronger with the nikon!:wink: Canon to me feels very plasticy:meh:

so: to anyone who has a D50 (which is what im thinking of going with due to bigger 2 inch LCD, flash compansation +/- 2 stops, and cheaper compared to D70):

i have some questions
nikon D50 has a colour space sRGB? (IIIa), is that not as good as RGB which is what the Canon 350 D has i think. If anyone could enlighten me that would be great.

Raw format, is it an Uncompressed NEF or a Compressed NEF ?

no fine tuning white balance, does that bother anyone, or is it not used that much? does it mean that there is no "manual" white balance setting??

the lens that comes with the 50D, 18-55mm, how does that compare with the lens that comes with canon 350D (18-55mm)? i didnt like the canon kit lens AT ALL, but what about the one for nikon? how is the focusing (manual), is the focusing ring as 'shaky' and unprecise as canons? the whole lens was a dissapointment to me so i am hoping that the nikon equivilent is better. I have yet to hold one in my hand, thats why i ask.

the d70 comes with a better lens i know (18-70mm), how does this lens compare with the cheaper one that comes with 50D? Also does it make sense to buy the 50D body and get the better lens (18-70mm)?

anyone made experiences with this?

Also: i have a nikon FG slr camera, will these lenses fit that camera or am i dreaming??:confused: i read somewhere that all lenses fit all bodies?.... well in this case only on maual focus i understand!

thank you in advance, hope some of these questions can be answered:blushing:

I'll answer to the things I can:

White balance:
I'm not familiar with fine-tuning the white balance and the possibilities it gives. For me the built in modes work quite well. You have the options to shoot white balance reference images from the light source and use these as basis for the white balance. You can keep some reference images on the memory card and load them on demand. But I've never bothered with that. Whenever white balance seems to become a problem I just shoot RAW and later adjust the white balance on the PC. You'll loose no image quality whatsoever with that method and don't have to bother about it while taking images.

RAW-format:
It's compressed NEF and not changeable.

Lens:
Can't compare to the 18-70 or Canon one but so far I'm quite happy with it. The focus ring is a little more "shaky" than for example the one on my 50mm but not very much. But I'm not focussing manually often, so I've not tested that in the field. You should really try it out yourself.

Compatibility:
You should be able to mount almost everything from Nikon on it. However if it's not AF or AI-P you'll lose light metering completely. Check the handbook for a list of what will work and how it will work. You can download it here:
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...y5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Hope that was any helpful.

Most reactions

Back