Nikon D50 vs. Nikon Coolpix 8800

Click!

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first post. I am thinking to get a Nikon D50 or a Coolpix 8800 but I cant understand the difference. I checked the comparison chart at nikonusa.com but they seem to be 2 very similar cameras. Can anyone point out the difference?

Thanks for any comments :)

have a look at dpreview.com and do a side by side comparison.

The D50 has interchangelable lenses and is a digital SLR. The coolpix, is what I like to call a 'fake' DSLR. Didn't have enough time to look more, sorry.

Thanks for the post. It is very similar to the comparison at nikonusa.com.
Can anyone tell what would i compromise if i picked nikon d50 instead of coolpix 8800. I think coolpix 8800 is serving many handy advanced options without worrying about knowing the details of slr techniques.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...yside&cameras=nikon_cp8800,nikon_d50&show=all

Well to me... it seems like a waste to spend that much money on a fake-dslr, when you could have the slr version for cheaper!!

You've got more megapixels in the coolpix and that means you'll be able to enlarge the photos slightly more than the 6mp D50. But the sensor is tiny in the coolpix!! :shock: (8.8 x 6.6mm) In the Nikon D50 the sensor is 23.7 x 15.5mm! That sensor size is very important. If you have a bigger sensor you will get a better picture.

The D50 has more ISO settings = greater flexibility
The D50 looks like it has a better metering abilities - but I don't know nikon that much.
The viewfinder on the D50 is you actually looking through the lens so what you see is what you get. The coolpix has what I think is a digital view finder - like a little LCD screen in there.
The D50 has a couple of other advantages that I'm sure you'll see in that side by side comparison I linked there.

If you're worried about a complicated camera, you shouldn't buy either of these. Because they're both complicated. From what I could see... you can basically do all of what you do on a DSLR on the coolpix as well.

But don't forget because the D50 is an slr, you've got the flexibility of using different lenses, and really adapting the camera to suit your style. With the coolpix, you're stuck with what they give you. :-(

With the D50 it's also easier and cheaper to buy filters such as polarizers, NDs and grads. They're always more expensive on compacts because the market is so much smaller.

You have to also remember that the D50 is going to have a larger sensor than the Coolpix so the images will be higher quality.

Most reactions

Back