Nikon D50

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by skiboarder72, Oct 13, 2005.

1. skiboarder72

skiboarder72 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Im really thinking about entering the DSLR world via this camera. I've read some really positive reviews of it and i think its everything that I want in a camera (that isnt 1000$+). Has anyone herd of anything wrong with these cameras? The grip feels really nice and i love the general feel. Also I am looking for some places to get the camera for a good price (i've seen everything from 650-800) with the kit lens, can anyone recommend a good low priced place to buy this from. Thank you!

Josh

2. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

I bought my D70 from Cameta Camera, a camera store on eBay, and had a very positive experiance with them. However, I'm sure you want the kit lens (18-70 ED), and they don't have any D50s available with that. Warning: stear clear of the 18-55 lens, it's pretty awful, especially when you could get that great 18-70.

Basically, find a site with a good Reseller Rating, and go for it. I can absolutely recommend B&H PhotoVideo as a great seller. Good luck, and enjoy the camera.

3. skiboarder72

skiboarder72 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I don't think that 18-55mm lens is that bad, i've heard it isnt quite as good as the 18-70 that comes with the D70 but for that much extra money i think i'll stick with the 18-55, and upgrade later. This is my first digital slr and i just want a basic lens to start off. Here is a good review of the lens, http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1855.htm . If I can get something exponentially better for 100$ or so extra then let me know, other wise i think im sticking with the kit lens.

4. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

Sorry, I thought that the kit lens with the D50 was the 18-70, and Cameta was just being weird until today. I haven't heard too much about the 18-55, but I do know the 18-70 is fantastic. If you can, I'd try to buy the D50 body, and the 18-70 separately, if that fits into the budget. If not, oh, well, I'm sure the 18-55 isn't Bantha Fodder...