Nikon D5000 good choice?

njnewby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new to the "real camera" scene.
My wife is trying to get her new baking business off the ground and does a lot of still photography of her cakes and arrangements to post on the web and some print for her portfolio. Currently she's got a Cannon Powershot A530 with 5MP. This camera isn't cutting it anymore.

I'm into cars (most old muscle) so I would use the camera out doors, usually still photography. Once in a while I like to shoot video.
Currenlty I have a Casio Exilim 6MP. Not bad but not anything special.
Wish the D5000 had a longer video time limit but I'll compromise.

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the Nikon SLR series and like what the D5000 has to offer without the price tag of the D90.
A buddy of mine has the D90 that I used at his wedding and it was awsome. A lot of controls but a high price tag.
I'm aware of the recall for the D5000 power control internals.
D5000 Service Advisory

I'm at the point where I want to invest in a good quality camera that will take great quality shots but not so complicated to use. I'm just learning about SLR cameras, lenses and such so I would appreciate any advice you all may have.
My brother-in-law works at Best Buy so I'm considering seeing what kind of deal he could get me.
Everywhere else I look the D5000 is aound $750 with 18-55mm lense.
Abe's, Vanns and Newegg have them for $700 but if I had any issues with the camera such as it being on the recall list above then I'd have to deal with them via shipping UPS, Best Buy or Electronics Expo are right down the street from me.

-Will a 18-55mm lense suffice for what my wife and I would use it for?
-What size memory card would you recommend? 10gb?
-Advice on the D5000 or any other recommendations?
-Any recommendations on where to buy from?
Will probably be looking to pull the trigger first two weeks of February.
Thanks! - Brett

I got a D5000 and D300s. And for the entrance level, D5000 with 18-55mm is good enough for the start. Just D5000 doesn't have a madar inside the body, so some lens can not be operate automatically. Also you can choose a 55-200mm at the same time. And 4Gb card is ok.

Yes, it is a good choice, IMO. It offers class leading image quality (IMO), but it doesn't have an in-body AF motor. So it "only" autofocuses with AF-S or AF-I lenses.

Get a refurbished one if you want to save some $$$. Adorama is a reputable vendor:

INKD5000RD Nikon D5000 DX-Format 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Kit - Refurbished - by Nikon U.S.A. with Nikon 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX (VR) Vibration Reduction Wide Angle Autofocus Zoom Lens, - Refurbished - by Nikon U.S.A.

Refurbished D5000 + 18-55 VR kit for $524.95 @ Adorama.

Free shipping.

You might want to compare it against the Canon Rebel T1i, the Pentax K-x,and the Sony Alpha entry-level DSLRs.

Yes, it is a good choice, IMO. It offers class leading image quality (IMO), but it doesn't have an in-body AF motor. So it "only" autofocuses with AF-S or AF-I lenses.

Get a refurbished one if you want to save some $$$. Adorama is a reputable vendor:

INKD5000RD Nikon D5000 DX-Format 12.3 Megapixel Digital SLR Camera Kit - Refurbished - by Nikon U.S.A. with Nikon 18mm - 55mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX (VR) Vibration Reduction Wide Angle Autofocus Zoom Lens, - Refurbished - by Nikon U.S.A.

Refurbished D5000 + 18-55 VR kit for $524.95 @ Adorama.

Free shipping.

Thanks! Adorama is a much better price. Hopefully camera isn't scuffed or anything.
Would you recommend getting the Mack Camera 3yr warantee? For $40 it covers all electronical manufacturer problems. Also looks like they're in the tri-state area so shipping shouldn't be bad for me if needed.
1057 Mack 3 Year Digital Still Camera Warranty (for Digital Cameras & Camera Lens Kits with a retail value of up to $1000.00)

I'll compare to the other cameras you suggested as well.
Thanks for your advice and recommendations :thumbup:

Would you recommend getting the Mack Camera 3yr warantee? For $40 it covers all electronical manufacturer problems.

Sorry, I wouldn't know. If you google them there's plenty of "mixed" reviews, but people tend to focus on the negative.

Doesn't Nikon's warranty cover electronical manufacturer problems, though? (Just asking)

Most reactions

Back