Nikon D5000 VS Canon EOS Rebel T1i

Yes, but ALL of their compatible lenses do...unlike many Nikon lenses.

The trade off is that Canon switched their lens mount back in 1987, so their SLR lenses made prior to that, are not compatible with new cameras. Nikon didn't switch their mount when introducing Auto Focus, so you can still mount old Nikon lenses to new Nikon cameras....the only issue being that the new entry level DSLR cameras don't have the focus motor like higher level bodies do.
For most people, this won't be an issue at all....but some might be disappointed if they expected their new camera to fully work with older lenses they might have or want to buy.

I was at a few camera shops today they said the Pentax no where compares to either the Canon or Nikon. I was thinking of getting a bigger lens not jut the 18-55. Is it cheaper to buy a body then a bigger lens? or a 18-55 kit then buy a lens? or a upgraded kit like and 18-55 and some other one?. Like I was thinking with a different lens stores offer the D5000 for about $1200 why not pay $100 more for a D90 then you get a better body and a good lens like a big one. I might give you a call lol

Holy **** no way in hell would I pay 1200 bucks for a entry level camera with lens. You could get a refurbished Nikon D300 for that cost! Seriously before you spend any money - let us know your budget. You can be directed to quality refurbished cameras for a lot less saving yourself a ridiculous sum of money.

As for the retailers - they no doubt told you that so you wouldn't be disappointed when they told you they didn't carry Pentax. Pentax's lens lineup might be "weaker" but theres no camera on the market that isn't able to produce excellent photos.

Everyone carries Pentax or at least all the camera stores I went too and Futureshop so I don't see any biast things on that part. They also told me to stay away from Sony they're garbage.

All kits come with an 18-55 lens kit which is good but in the future is it worth it? Like should I purchase a body and lens separate?. Like the 5000 has 3 different options 18-55 Kit, Body, 18-55 and 55-200, 18-105.

The prices range from $850 for the 18-55 kits to $1100 *SALE*. I was thinking like when upgrading lens and stuff I might aswell get like a D90 those come with a good lens.

Main thing Im shooting is cars I want my photos similar to this guys:

Flickr: Rockets.'s Photostream

I would also look into the new Pentax K-x. It just came out and has been garnering quite a bit of acclaim as being the best entry level on the current market. It's pretty jam packed with feature, is pretty cheap and the noise handling is amazing. I have one right now that I'm testing and it's pretty impressive. I honestly think that it might be the best aps-c for handling high ISO noise. ISO 6400 is really clean, and 12,800 is surprisingly usable. I don't know enough of the features of the three cameras to give you a point by point comparison at the moment, but it's definitely worth your time to check into it. It's a mighty impressive little dslr.

Do you mind posting some sample pics cant seem to find any on the web.

lol that's cause most people have Nikons or Canons...go look at all their web sites and see the lens selections. If you, like most, want really nice fast quality glass, at a low price (in comparison to Leica) then Nikon or Canon are the ones. However, low price is still a lot.

I have looked at the Pentax...I don't doubt it's great. But I just love the glass selections, among other things that Nikon has to offer. For instance I love it's CLS, look into that.

Ok, here are some quick and dirty photos, just to show the ISO capabilities. These are all straight from the camera RAW files. They could look much better with some NR. Don't compare these to the out of camera jpegs from the canon or nikon which already have NR applied. The only way to compare what a sensor can do, is raw for raw. ISO 6400 is completely usable, and ISO 12800 looks like it could be pretty usable, especially with good NR PP. It's most likely the best APS-C camera in regards to high ISO.

Pentax K-x
Pentax DA* 16-50mm F/2.8

ISO 1600
p862698644.jpg

ISO 3200
p1005578883.jpg

ISO 6400
p679894081.jpg

ISO 12800
p1021708563.jpg

Thanx for the pics but looks like Iam going to pass on a Pentax

For the following which kit should I get:

Nikon D500:
-Body $750
-18-55 Lens Kit $840
-18-105 Lens Kit $1000
-18-55, 55-200 Lens Kit $1050

Canon T1i:
-Body $870
-18-55 Lens Kit $850
-75-300 Lens Kit $1100

**Just To Note Might Be Over Budget But If It Worth It Ill Take It Into Consideration **
Nikon D90:
-Body $979
-18-105 Kit $1279
-18-55 Kit $1129

I was on the fence between the Canon T1i and Nikon D90. I ultimately chose the Nikon for two reasons. 1. I liked how it felt using it and the controls. 2. I found a 18-105 refurbished kit from Adorama for less than $1K It's worked flawlessly and I like it a lot. I doubt I'll ever out grow it as I'm not that serious about photography, yet.:lol: Look into it. In the end, the person behind the camera takes good photos, the camera is a tool. You say you like taking pics of cars, well you know in auto racing the driver wins races, not the car. ;) Good luck with whatever you choose. I'm certain any entry level DSLR will serve your needs just fine.

Thanx for the pics but looks like Iam going to pass on a Pentax

For the following which kit should I get:

Nikon D500:
-Body $750
-18-55 Lens Kit $840
-18-105 Lens Kit $1000
-18-55, 55-200 Lens Kit $1050

Canon T1i:
-Body $870
-18-55 Lens Kit $850
-75-300 Lens Kit $1100

**Just To Note Might Be Over Budget But If It Worth It Ill Take It Into Consideration **
Nikon D90:
-Body $979
-18-105 Kit $1279
-18-55 Kit $1129

Compared with
Nikon D90 (Refurbished by Nikon which means as good as new):
- $760
Nikon 50MM F/1.8 (Refurbished by Nikon):
- $99

Buy used. Do not buy new. Your camera will be "used" within weeks of you purchasing it, and will look and operate exactly as a "used" (refurbished) camera.

....... But I just love the glass selections, among other things that Nikon has to offer. For instance I love it's CLS, look into that.
Unfortunately, the D5000 doesn't have CLS's Commander Mode.

The K-x has a commander mode, and can control the compatible Pentax flashes wirelessly. Sorry, I'm not a Pentax salesperson, but it's a damn impressive camera for $650 with kit lens.

Whichever you find cheapest. I would also look at the Nikon D3000; it can be had significantly cheaper refurbished (good as new) with lens and will perform the same as the D5000 - just without video and the swivel screen. But then who cares about that really. . .

I would caution against the Pentax only if you are interested in the "used market" (which you should be) for future camera upgrades.

The D3000 is based on an old CCD sensor while the D5000 is new CMOS sensor. I doubt they perform the same.

The D3000 is based on an old CCD sensor while the D5000 is new CMOS sensor. I doubt they perform the same.

You're right - they don't... not even close.

/sigh - I'm not even going to get into this. However if you two think those two entry level cameras are so disparate in practical performance that an individual would be hard pressed to NOT find a difference in image quality - well I suppose theres a few in every crowd.

I've had the D40, D60, D80, D200 as well as a D90... there's a huge difference in high ISO performance from CCD to CMOS, if you deny that then I'm sorry, you're one of the few, not me...

Yea I mean the difference between the D200 and D90/5000 above ISO400 is like night and day. Makes the D200 look like a point and shoot. I've owned all 3 with the D90 and D200 having 200,000 clicks on each and to my knowledge the D3000 uses the D200 sensor.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back