Nikon D5000 vs. Canon T1I

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by pbrr1der, Apr 29, 2010.

1. pbrr1der

pbrr1der TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Alright, I'm sorry to do this to you guys cause I know you prolly get it alot on what camera is a good starter point. I have done extensive research over the past month and am honestly torn between these two cameras. This is a huge decision for me because once I make my purchase, I am going to probably stay with that brand for a long time because I'll have glass for that brand!

Ok, to outline some of the pros for each camera:
    Nikon D5000
    -$50 cheaper
    -Smaller/lower quality screen but can swivle and tilt
    -11 pt auto focus compared to t1i's 9 pt
    -Better HD video

Canon T1I
    -15.1 mega pixels compared to d5000's 12.3 mp
    -Bigger better screen
    -able to shoot in RAW+JPEG (for learning purposes)
    -14 bit color depth compared to d5000's 12 bit
    -Larger ISO range 100-3200, hi1, hi2
    -color temp compensation as well as w.b. presets
    -from what i've heard, larger lens selections

With that being said, these two are pretty much the only cameras in my price range that seem to fit my needs. The only other thing i'd like is an in body af motor but like most people on here say, you seem to quickly outgrow your starter camera. For some reason I am partial to the Nikon but the Canon looks better on paper, to me at least.

Please anybody with experience with these cameras tell me what you liked and didn't like about them and post up any example photos taken with either camera.

Thank you for being soo patient with this long thread.

P.S. Both kits I'm looking at I believe comes with the 18-55mm kit lens as well as a 50-200mm variable aperature VR lens

2. pbrr1der

pbrr1der TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Also the guy at Murphy's camera, big local Louisville shop, said he thought the D5000 was the best bang for the buck, but that was after I seemed interested in it. I can't honestly say his comment on that wasn't completely bias free.

3. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What is it about the D5000's video that makes you rate it as better?

4. rusty9

rusty9 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    actually, both cameras have a 3 inch screen, and with nikon you get a better lens selection, because all nikon lenses will fit the d5000, but you need to buy specific lenses for the canon to make sure they will work. and the nikon has the same iso range. it has a low 1 and 2, 100-3200, and hi 1 and 2. and MPs don't matter as much as people think. 12.3 MP on the nikon will be plenty

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  5. Alan92RTTT

Alan92RTTT TPF Noob!

The D5000 can do RAW+jpg(3 levels of jpg quality)

6. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

hum ........

7. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is not entirely true! You get just as good as a lens selection with Canon! To many maybe a better lens selection but definitely just as good! And all current Canon lens will work. I prefer Canon over Nikon because that is what I like , but I do believe the one advantage of the d5000 is its higher ISO performance. Also Nikon glass is more expensive than Canon in most cases. Both Nikon and Canon have an exceptional line of quality glass. Good luck! Both cameras should work great!

8. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you like Nikon handle, GET NIKON. If you like Canon handle, get Canon.

Both will give you good results but since both are consumer so is the handling of the two.

9. tsaraleksi

tsaraleksi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Any, and I mean any, Canon lens made after 1987 will have full functionality on the T1i-- which is to say, it will autofocus, meter, etc. All you need to look for is the letters EF. And if you really really want to use an old Nikon lens, you can buy an adapter and that lens will work on there too.

For the D5000 on the other hand... some lenses will have full functionality, some will not AF, some will not meter. In order to figure it out you need a chart.

The D5000's hobbling-- it's inability to AF with screw-drive lenses (anything that's not AF-S) is not a huge deal. But it will limit you to a very narrow range of lenses if you want autofocus. If you're going to compare lens compatibility the Canon wins hands down.

And to clarify-- the D5000's screen in 2.7 in vice the Canon's 3.0. Not a big deal in the least but if you're going to give advice, make sure it's accurate.

10. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey guys, can you help me choose between a Ford F-150 and a Chevy Silverado 1500? I've done research on both and I like them both! I haven't used the search function but I'm sure you guys can help me. Thanks!

:er:

11. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Get the Tundra instead. :lol:

12. Gaerek

Gaerek TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And so you don't think of me as a complete jerk (sorry, it's early, and I'm feeling particularly snarky this morning), the reason I posted my previous post was that there's a new one of these threads just about each day. I did a search for "d5000" and "T1i" and came up with 9 'versus' threads between those two cameras on just the first page of the search results.

If you're looking at choosing between these two entry level cameras, and you're torn, here's my suggestion. Neither is better than the other, really. They're both solid entry level DSLRs. Go to a store, hold both, and pick the one that feels better to you. You won't be disappointed with either camera.