Nikon D5000 vs Lumix G1

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Wannafish, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Wannafish

Wannafish TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    After having my point and shoot camera stolen on my last vacation it's time to upgrade to a DSLR. After reading reviews it's hard to find side by side comparisons of certain models that do more than just show specs. We had a good look last night at both the Nikon D5000 and the Lumix G1 which both fall at the top of our price range. The camera will get used the way most point and shoot cameras get used but would like to see better performance in all aspects with the option to become a little more creative. The wife would like to expand to add a lense that would allow her to do portraits that blur the background while keeping the subject crisp. I read that both cameras perfrom well but question the newer technology that the Lumix has. The wife likes the way that the Lumix feels in her small hands but the lack of video seems somewhat limiting. I also like that the Nikon has a two year warranty.

I'm hoping that someone could help to steer us in the right direction so that we can be please with our purchase and expand on our lense choices.

2. ifi

ifi TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would say Nikon D5000 because I don't think Lumix G1 is an DSLR...?

3. nchips1

nchips1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D5000 it is.

4. PerfectlyFlawed

PerfectlyFlawed TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D5000!

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The G1 is not a dSLR camera.

It has an electronic viewfinder which can be very difficult to use in low light (noise and low refresh rate) .

Thought the G1 has an interchangeable lens capability the lens to sensor spacing is not standard 4/3 spacing and thus lens selection is very limited.

Also the image sensor is exposed when changing lenses so it will get dirty pretty rapidly.

I would recommend the D5000 for your intended uses.

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Not completely true.... yes noise and refresh rate does slow a little but it is totally usable in low light and I use manual focus lenses exclusively on the camera. In fact, in really low light, the fact that the EVF increases brightness automatically is actually helpful.

Yes.. limited. The lenses they do have are pretty darn good. 20mm f/1.7 is absolutely stellar.

Not anymore than a typical DSLR.

If you are looking for a step above a P&S (OP did say that use will be more P&S like) then the m4/3rd is a viable option. It has all of the easy use and compact size of a P&S but with the advantage of

- interchangeable better quality lenses
    - larger sensor than typical P&S.
    - RAW capabilities
    - Advanced modes

Otherwise.. if you see yourself more of a photographer as a serious hobby (more than just to record family vacations and such) you should consider the Nikon (or any other DSLR).

Not many people here use m4/3rd cameras so the bias is going to be obvious... and much rehashing from old threads and online reviews. I have both the G1 and EPL1 which compliments my other systems not replace them.

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
  8. rpm

rpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    dont let video be the determining factor but between the two id say the D5000 is the better alternative and even if it didn't come with video and the G1 did.

9. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Comparing the D5000 to the G-1 is now (June of 2010) somewhat unfair. The G-1 is now a discontinued product and should be selling at a distinct discount (I just bought one new for $499USD).

The proper comparison would be the D5000 and the G-2; the G-2 being a slightly improved G-1 that also adds HD video capability. You might also consider comparing the Nikon to the G-10 (G-2 minus the moving rear panel, simplified video, and a lower res eyelevel EVF) if you are price sensitive (G-10 = $599USD MSRP).

10. sovietdoc

sovietdoc TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    nikon all the way

11. Newcastle Shooter

Newcastle Shooter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon D5000 - for every single reason I would consider buying a camera. A DSLR that is. If I wanted a non DSLR I would go smaller and go for a Canon G11.

12. Wannafish

Wannafish TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for all the feedback. I especially appreciate the info that has an explanation attached to it. We definately want to expand on our picture taking to include a little creativeness not just point and shoot. Is the Nikon that much better bang for my buck or are there a lot of people who are just brand loyal towards the Nikon?