Nikon D5000

You don't see sport car out there that is purpose built for the track
Boy, did you ever pick the wrong analogy. There are plenty of sports cars purpose-built for track days that lack creature comforts.

It would be ideal for alot of us if they do this, but there isn't a big enough market for Nikon to bother with. They would have to sell alot to keep the prices down and they probably can't do it without the support of soccer mom.
Not that either of us are qualified to answer this one way or another, but, from what I gather, there are a ton people (myself included) who want pro-features (which, let's face it, are just a bunch of dedicated controls, a few extra mechanisms and some firmware tweaks) on a budget. Nikon just needs to figure out what features will keep the pros buying the more expensive pro gear; probably high-ISO performance, higher resolution, weather-sealing, heavy-duty build quality, etc.

Last edited:
Not that either of us are qualified to answer this one way or another, but, from what I gather, there are a ton people (myself included) who want pro-features (which, let's face it, are just a bunch of dedicated controls, a few extra mechanisms and some firmware tweaks) on a budget. Nikon just needs to figure out what features will keep the pros buying the more expensive pro gear; probably high-ISO performance, higher resolution, weather-sealing, heavy-duty build quality, etc.

You are right, neither of us are qualified to answer this, I'm just giving you my opinion as to why Nikon are doing what they doing. Pros will surely pay extra for weather sealing and heavy duty build quality, an extra grand set aside ever year for camera bodies isn't alot if that how you make your living. But I just don't see alot of people that can shoot full manual on a camera or care too but that's just me. Part of the reason that D40 and the like are cheaper is because due to their sale volumes. You have to have sale volume pretty close to the D40 to have that kind of price.

The car comment, can you be more specific? I'm not sure what you mean by plenty? Plenty as in production volume? I mean all the high volume production car such as the Nissan Z series, Corvette, Camaro, Supra have at least an AC, power window, and a radio. Those money could've been spent on better brake pads and lines but oh well, you have make the wife happy too.

I'll offer my $.02 worth here:

hits:

higher FPS - personally I like this. I shoot a decent amount of sports, would be handy.

11 point af- also much nicer than the 3 point on the D40 and D60

the swivel screen with live view- i know that a lot of you hate it, but I see it as a tool to use once in a while. I know there are times when I won't be able to look into the viewfinder because I am not that tall, or I want to shoot from the hip (with some decent accuracy) or when trying to get down as low as possible to the ground I can just squat and look via live view so I don't have to lay myself out on the ground and eat dirt just to get the shot.

12.3 megapixel sensor- I think that 12 is a decent number

GPS port- pretty damn cool

Misses:

-no af motor, but I think we can see that it won't be much longer that new lenses don't offer af-s
- hd video- I'd buy a video camera if I wanted video
-more crap-tastic scene modes

Just to touch on the video thing- I think it is something that you will see creep up in the more professional models as well. I know a lot of photojournalists are being moved into more of a multimedia role than a pure photographic role, and the video mode is something they would use to capture small video clips of events going on- say a minute's worth of video of a fire or a protest and then they go back to shooting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back