Nikon D5100 focus problems... again.

cwindle1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, haven't posted on her for ages and forgot my password and email I used so had to create another account - grr!

My camera, Nikon D5100, is really playing up with focusing and I don't understand why it is. I posted before that I photograph horses so jumping photo's are snapped often - fast moving object. I shoot manual mode and have fiddled with the settings of the actual camera. I've used AF-S, AF-C and MF. Also used, single point AF and auto area AF. I've tried, dynamic area AF, 3D tracking and nothing seems to work well. Camera seems to lock on to the jump and not the horse jumping so the jump is left in focus and horse blurred. I know how to photograph them and my technique works on how I do it BUT this problem has been accuring for the past 6 months whereas this never used to happen. I mainly shoot with my Nikkor 70-300mm. I know its not the fastest or 'best' lens but I've been shooting with this lens for over a year and never had a problem until 6 months ago. Pictures turn out fine if its just a galloping photo or a stood still portrait shot but jumping is another story!! AHHHH!!! Help!!

For both my D5100 and now for the D5200's when shooting moving subjects i've found my best results are to use AF-C with a single autofocus point, I put the autofocus point in the center and then I shoot a little wider than what I know I'll need so I can crop the photo for the desired composition later in post. I prefer shutter priority for action shots, particularly on the D5200. I've found manual mode to be very difficult to deal with when trying to shoot action shots, varying light levels and the requirement to set Aperture, ISO and Shutter speed with only the one command wheel to get proper exposure just leads to entirely too many missed opportunities. I only use manual mode under controlled conditions and generally with non-moving subjects. For action shots I think you'll be much better of with either shutter priority or aperture priority - I prefer shutter priority myself but some folks swear by aperture priority.

is the issue actually achieving focus, or simply stopping the motion correctly?

Maybe it's the camera ... if it used to work but doesn't anymore.
Any chance you could borrow a d5100 and do a comparison ?

Most reactions

Back