Nikon D5100 generic batteries?

tissa said:
Thanks to dumeril7 I got a generic one for $40 (with shipping and taxes). Lets hope it works ok

I thought the one he posted didnt work with the d5100. I didn't check - that's just what another poster said.
It said on the web site specifically that it works for D5100.
"Use this battery to replace the tired, old Nikon EN-EL14 battery in your Nikon D3100, D5100, COOLPIX P7000 or P7100 digital camera. Keep a fully charged spare in your bag so you never miss a shot."

tissa said:
It said on the web site specifically that it works for D5100.
"Use this battery to replace the tired, old Nikon EN-EL14 battery in your Nikon D3100, D5100, COOLPIX P7000 or P7100 digital camera. Keep a fully charged spare in your bag so you never miss a shot."

The battery Dumeril posted does not work with the d5100.

jriepe said:
In doing this search for you I found you are right in that they are not easy to find and has been mentioned on other forums as well but I did find this.

Dantona 7.4V/950mAh Li-ion Battery for Nikon EN-EL14 - RadioShack.com
Jerry

^^^ this must be the battery you bought. Hope it works great!

Warning for those who might want to buy batteries from this site Dantona 7.4V/950mAh Li-ion Battery for Nikon EN-EL14 - RadioShack.com. Even though the description clearly states that the batteries fit Nikon 3100 and 5100 they DO NOT! I paid $40 for them (with taxes and shipping), got it today and the display on my camera said "this battery is not designated to be used on this camera. Please use a battery that is designated for this camera" (or smth like that). I called customer support and the guy couldn't answer why they have wrong information about the product. He was speaking very very fast and quickly said he was gonna issue a return lable and i can return the battery and get a refund.

URH!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Tissa. I am the one who provided the link to you but I didn't know as it states specifically that it does fit the D5100.

Jerry

The Nikon D3100/D5100 can detect third party batteries once you put them inside and will give you an error message. The only way to use cheap third party batteries is to use them with a third party grip. (Nikon does not have an official grip for these models.) The price of two batteries and a grip is even less than the price of an original. You can get them at Amazon. Also, you can go to Youtube to see actual reviews of the grip and batteries. I can attest that these batteries do work as I have bought two together with a battery grip though the one I got is the one with a remote sensor for $35. The most popular brand is the Meike/Neewer brand costing around $23 whereas two batteries would cost around $15. There are other more expensive third party grips but they seem to be rebranded Meike grips. So far they work fine for me though my D3100 has become bigger due to the grip.

Last edited:
I have two that work great. I got them from Cameraland when I ordered my camera. When I get home I'll get the model # info.Bob

I have two that work great. I got them from Cameraland when I ordered my camera. When I get home I'll get the model # info.Bob
Thank you Bob!

I'm sorry, I made a mistake. The D5100 batteries are all Nikon originals. I bought 2 cameras at about the same time from Cameraland. A D5100 and an AW100. I bought two extra batteries with each. The D5100 batteries are Nikon originals and the AW100 extra batteries are Promaster. I apologize for the error.

Bob

i guess no way to avoid paying another $60 :( Ridiculous considering that it has been quite a while and no generics yet

Battery Grip? And why is that? I would be leery of a $6.80 battery but I must say I did buy some generic batteries for my Canon S95 for a very low cost and they work great. With my D7000 I decided to stick with Nikon batteries. If a generic battery leaks, explodes, etc. and ruins a $1,200 camera you're SOL. I bought a generic for my D80 from Adorama that sucked so I went back to a Nikon battery for a spare.

Jerry

Sarah, when you stated it was necessary to buy a battery grip to use generic batteries for the D5100 I was at a complete loss as to your reasoning and was questioning that logic but now I see another poster has stated the same thing stating that the generic batteries will not work when inserted directly into the camera. So your info. was spot on. Just felt compelled to let you know I was evidently wrong.

Jerry

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Good luck finding one, but keep in mind that generic ones tend to last half as long as the standard ones. I've found that they are not worth what you save because you need two to equal the original one!

The battery is an important piece of the equation. Trying to save a few bucks may end up costing you your camera if a crappy battery fries it or explodes in it. I would not cheap out on the batteries. Just something to consider.

The battery is an important piece of the equation. Trying to save a few bucks may end up costing you your camera if a crappy battery fries it or explodes in it. I would not cheap out on the batteries. Just something to consider.

I agree with you on this. I could have bought generic batteries for my D7000 but decided otherwise. If one saves $30 on a battery but that battery ruins a $1,200 piece of equipment you have lost BIG time.

Jerry

The Nikon EN-EL15 (not for the D3100/D5100/P7000) has an issue. EN-EL15 Battery - Electrical Safety Recall. So originals do have their issues as well. That's something to consider too. (This also reminds me about original Sony Vaio batteries literally burning up.)

This issue IMO is more of Nikon trying to have a monopoly on batteries. The P7000 with the original firmware was able to use after-market batteries until after the latest firnware upgrade. This just shows that Nikon strongly discourages the use of aftermarket accessories. From a manufacturer's standpoint accessories have the largest profit margins, hence making accessories extremely overpriced.

But I must say that some aftermarket items are better than others. It also goes that one should check the aftermarket brand's reputation and also actual user reviews.

To reiterate, AFAIK there are no known aftermarket batteries that will work directly with the D3100/D5100 without using an aftermarket battery grip. Nonetheless, two batteries and a camera grip would still come out cheaper than an original one.

Should you still prefer an original one, the cheapest that I can find costs $40 both at Fry's and Amazon which was pointed out by others.

Last edited:

Battery Grip? And why is that? I would be leery of a $6.80 battery but I must say I did buy some generic batteries for my Canon S95 for a very low cost and they work great. With my D7000 I decided to stick with Nikon batteries. If a generic battery leaks, explodes, etc. and ruins a $1,200 camera you're SOL. I bought a generic for my D80 from Adorama that sucked so I went back to a Nikon battery for a spare.

Jerry

Sarah, when you stated it was necessary to buy a battery grip to use generic batteries for the D5100 I was at a complete loss as to your reasoning and was questioning that logic but now I see another poster has stated the same thing stating that the generic batteries will not work when inserted directly into the camera. So your info. was spot on. Just felt compelled to let you know I was evidently wrong.

Jerry

@Jerry do note that you still have to insert the original battery first and then turn the camera on in order to make the generic batteries to work. Doing this "fools" the camera to "think" you still have the original battery installed. But as an afterthought, if I had spent $1,200 for a D7000 (body only) plus around $300 for a basic 18-105mm lens I would most likely not scrimp on batteries. But since the EN-EL14 compatibles have been out for around two years and with no known reported issues, I decided to take a leap of faith and purchased a two-pack and a battery grip as well three weeks ago. Only downside for me is that the my D3100 obviously became bigger. But I wanted a battery grip with remote as well. :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back