Nikon D5100 problems

I also made a note, as I had seen it written in a D5100 review, that you can hand-hold down to 1/13 sec...

For your 18-55mm, at 55mm, you could hand-hold at 1/20 seconds. At 18mm, you could hand-hold at 1/8 seconds.
For your 55-300mm, at 55mm, you could hand-hold at 1/10 seconds. At 300mm you could hand-hold at 1/60 seconds.

Thank you very much Michael. I am also going to get the 35mm 1.8G AFS DX "soon"; do you know what the minimum hand-hold shutter speed and aperture "sweet spot range" is for that lens?

Regards, John

I also made a note, as I had seen it written in a D5100 review, that you can hand-hold down to 1/13 sec...

For your 18-55mm, at 55mm, you could hand-hold at 1/20 seconds. At 18mm, you could hand-hold at 1/8 seconds.
For your 55-300mm, at 55mm, you could hand-hold at 1/10 seconds. At 300mm you could hand-hold at 1/60 seconds.

Thank you very much Michael. I am also going to get the 35mm 1.8G AFS DX "soon"; do you know what the minimum hand-hold shutter speed and aperture "sweet spot range" is for that lens?

Regards, John

Minimum hand hold speed is 1/50. Sweet spot range... I don't know, like normal, don't use any aperture beyond f/11.0.

The 35mm 1.8G seems very sharp, even sharper than the 50mm 1.8 G, so you need not worry about which aperture to use. You might even be able to use f/16.0 without problem.

Thank you for all of your help, Michael! You are the best! I have written it all down on my camera 3"x5" cards. Over the last week I have bought the 35mm and the 55-300mm lens. I think I am done with buying for a bit!

Regards,

Marc

EchoingWhisper said:
Minimum hand hold speed is 1/50. Sweet spot range... I don't know, like normal, don't use any aperture beyond f/11.0.

I think f3.5 to 4.5 is optimal looking at certain review sites, mine looks great even wide open to be honest but at f3.5 and up is tack sharp

EchoingWhisper said:

I think f3.5 to 4.5 is optimal looking at certain review sites, mine looks great even wide open to be honest but at f3.5 and up is tack sharp

Yea, I'm just stating usable range without strong blurring. Sweet spot is normally exactly between the minimum aperture and maximum aperture within usable range.

Gentlemen, Hand-hold minimum shutter speed is 1/50 for the 35mm? Did I catch that right? I looked around Google, and didn't see this mentioned.

Regards,

John

Im pretty sure the sweet spot for the 35mm 1.8 is f/3.5

As for hand held im not sure what it is technically but im certain you would get good reaults at anything faster than 1/20

Gentlemen, Hand-hold minimum shutter speed is 1/50 for the 35mm? Did I catch that right? I looked around Google, and didn't see this mentioned.

Regards,

John

Yes it is. 1/(focal length[35mm] x crop factor [1.53]) second = minimum hand hold speed without VR. 1/(focal length x crop factor) x 4 second = minimum hand hold speed with VR. 1/(focal length x crop factor) x 8 second = minimum hand hold speed with VR II.

Hi all,

I just wanted to drop by to thank all the contributors to this extremely helpful thread. I've been the very proud owner of a Nikon D5100 for a few weeks now. It's my first DSLR and any thoughts of an expedition away from the big green 'A' were out of the question!

Thanks to this thread (and just a little extra research) I've learned so much it's just incredible. I now know all about my lenses sweet spots and I can absolutely testify to the truth of it. I'm doing landscapes in Aperture Priority, getting amazing results, and I'm taking control of both ISO and focus.

This thread has been an awesome read for me. When I first bought the camera I was a little disappointed with the results. I now know just exactly what I was doing wrong and I'm totally thrilled with the pictures I'm now getting.

Although I'm only very new at photography I've now spent hours noting F Stops, shutter speeds, ISO ratings and focal lengths, judging the best results and studying what went wrong when it went wrong. I had a lot of poor quality shots, but I learned from them and now I have a very good percentage of 'keepers'

Having shown no previous interest, my wife is now eager to have a go. She'd like a camera of her own to learn on and she loves the D5100. It's paradise for me, because she's happy for me to invest in a more updated model after Christmas so she can have the D5100. Yippee! D7000 here I come (unless Nikon release something even better in the meantime)

Just to make it clear, if the D5100 was the only camera I could ever have I wouldn't be disappointed. It's a superb piece of equipment. Yes, it's much harder to learn and use than a 'point and shoot', but stick with it and learn what YOU are doing wrong (not the camera) and the results are so worth it.

Once again, thanks to all those who offered assistance here. So pleased I found this thread

Inter

Most reactions

New Topics

Back