Nikon D5100 vs D90

Don't want to be thought of as a troll.....thought the OP might find my opinion helpful since I was a noob to dSLRs when i bought mine and was extremely pleased with getting the D80 as my first dSLR.

Everyone's has an opinion. Please don't get upset because it may differ from yours.

hope you enjoy dpreview again but i am sure your input is equally valued here as well.

Considering that a new in the box D90 can be purchased here for $729.00 as compared to the D7000 at $1129.00 and the D5100 at $769.00, I know what camera I would purchase. I would rather have the D90 and put the savings over the D7000 to better lenses.

Where can you get a brand new D90 for $729?

Here and here. I live in Canada and these are both well known camera stores.

Last edited:
Considering that a new in the box D90 can be purchased here for $729.00 as compared to the D7000 at $1129.00 and the D5100 at $769.00, I know what camera I would purchase. I would rather have the D90 and put the savings over the D7000 to better lenses.

Where can you get a brand new D90 for $729?

Here and here. I live in Canada and these are both well known camera stores.

WOW!

That is a great price and the last one even comes with a USA warranty!

Wish I had seen this last week!

Thanks for sharing!!

Last edited:
I bought my D90 from T Dimension last year when I was new to Digital SLR. So far I didn’t buy any extra lens as I think that’s good enough for daily life shooting. But I im worrying about its difficult setting.. Possibly change to another brand in the future, once my D90 is broken.

I bought my D90 from T Dimension last year when I was new to Digital SLR. So far I didn’t buy any extra lens as I think that’s good enough for daily life shooting. But I im worrying about its difficult setting.. Possibly change to another brand in the future, once my D90 is broken.

I've heard that so many times.... D90 was hailed as the best camera for your money, its like BMW M3, poor man's porsche. So everyone was jumping in with 2 feet 3 years ago and now you are hearing "I just upgraded my D90 to T2i/T3i" An upgrade? really? what most ppl fail to realized is that Nikon/Canon/others have structured their product lines to target many many different segment of consumers and tiered pricing. As of now, there is almost a DSLR for everyone who's remotely interested in taking pictures (point: look at Canon's point and shoot line up! its massive!)

Somehow in this forum, when you recommend something that's they do not own or against buying something they own, its like a blasphemy. very strange.

Suet: good luck with D90 being broken, its almost impossible!! unless of course you decide to throw it down from your balcony or rooftop... just put it up for sale, seems like plenty of folks here will buy it here.

Last edited:
I have the D90 and LOVE it. I wouldn't change it for anything. I'm still learning new things on it after having it for almost 2 years. It's a good buy, I think you'll love it too OP!

I have the D90 and LOVE it. I wouldn't change it for anything. I'm still learning new things on it after having it for almost 2 years. It's a good buy, I think you'll love it too OP!

you won’t change it for anything although you have been using it for 2 years. Similar to my situation :lol:

D90 used is the best option.

orb9220 said:
I always recommend the kit lens. As it will take some shooting through out the range to see where your needs and preferred range is.

Don't listen to another word by this person! You simply CAN'T shoot a wedding with a "kit" lens! That's suicide!

You need fast glass for receptions and dark churches.

I shoot weddings and I use the normal wedding lenses: 17-55 2.8 & 70-200 2.8 & 50 1.4. I have quite a few others but those are industry standards as far as weddings go.

Sent from Erics iPhone www.ericporado.com

orb9220 said:
I always recommend the kit lens. As it will take some shooting through out the range to see where your needs and preferred range is.

Don't listen to another word by this person! You simply CAN'T shoot a wedding with a "kit" lens! That's suicide!

You need fast glass for receptions and dark churches.

I shoot weddings and I use the normal wedding lenses: 17-55 2.8 & 70-200 2.8 & 50 1.4. I have quite a few others but those are industry standards as far as weddings go.

Sent from Erics iPhone Pittsburgh Wedding Photographers - Eric Porado Photography

Sorry didn't understand when they said "I want to shoot baby, and wedding if it is all possible"

And should have pointed out that if serious about shooting baby and weddings to look at the more expensive faster lenses alternatives or prime.
But starting out new and unfamiliar with photography and lack of understanding what is required is why the recommend for starting with kit lens.

But you seem to be quick to blanket condemn everything a person says with "Don't listen to another word by this person! ". Instead of maybe considering they were addressing her lack of knowledge and limited budget! and maybe missed the wanting to do weddings.

I suppose you never misread a post and gave only partially accurate or missed the mark response there.

Pretty extreme response there not knowing the whole story behind the post. Which I'm sure you could have pointed out or clarified my misunderstanding of the OP intent with a statement of clarification of OP intent instead of blanket condemation.

I'd put MY MONEY on orb9220 as to being a guy who could actually shoot a wedding with a kit zoom. As far as
"Don't listen to another word by this person!" in reference to orb9220...well, I'll tell you EPPhoto, orb is a "shooter"...not just a "photographer"....Hell, the world is filled with "photographers" these days--everybody's a fricking "photographer", but orb is a "shooter"!! Do you know what that even means????

Have you seen his abilities with a camera and modest gear? He can out-shoot people with his D90 and 17-50 like it's nobody's business...

I appreciate orb9220's advice and I see his kindness to newbies often. I also like the particular advice to learn your needed and favorite ranges with a kit lens. I also think being a nice person is better than being a photographer and / or a shooter.

you can certainly shoot a wedding with a kit lense, it all depends on your skillz. Obviously, it may not be an ideal lens and may require you to be more physical and spending time doing post editing. Ofcourse, if you are really good, the entire theme/style of the wedding shots can be tailored around it....

I've a friend who's a cinematographer and he can do amazing stuff with a point-n-shoot Samsung... you don't need a fancy setup to take good pictures and develop a overall theme to your shoots....

and I 100% agree with orb's recommendation (again) on kit lens for a newbie.... you will learn so much about the way or what you like to shoot for a mere $100 (new) totally worth it.

Last edited:
you can certainly shoot a wedding with a kit lense, it all depends on your skillz. Obviously, it may not be an ideal lens and may require you to be more physical and spending time doing post editing. Ofcourse, if you are really good, the entire theme/style of the wedding shots can be tailored around it....

I've a friend who's a cinematographer and he can do amazing stuff with a point-n-shoot Samsung... you don't need a fancy setup to take good pictures and develop a overall theme to your shoots....

and I 100% agree with orb's recommendation (again) on kit lens for a newbie.... you will learn so much about the way or what you like to shoot for a mere $100 (new) totally worth it.

Shooting a wedding with a ****ty setup doesnt depends on your skillz you noob. It depend on what light you have available. I would shoot a Destination wedding in mexico with a d40 and a 18-55 anyday. try doing it in a church with no light. you can have all the skillz you want. no light no pictures.

ghache said:
Shooting a wedding with a ****ty setup doesnt depends on your skillz you noob. It depend on what light you have available. I would shoot a Destination wedding in mexico with a d40 and a 18-55 anyday. try doing it in a church with no light. you can have all the skillz you want. no light no pictures.

Exactly...I dont care who you are...you are going to run into situations doing weddings where you simply cannot use a kit lens and get decent results! Sure you CAN do it, but all your pictures will either be way underexposed or grainy from bumping ISO.

Sent from Erics iPhone www.ericporado.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back