Nikon D60 flash?

cnh25

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone :mrgreen: I'm new here.

I've always had an interest in photography but it's always just been a side hobby and I've always had fairly cheap cameras. Well recently I finally had a reason to take pictures (I'm responsible for taking pictures of the foster animals in my Humane Society's system and getting them on our webpage).

So, give me a reason to buy a "real" camera and I jumped at it. I got a Nikon D60 and I love it. I did watch the DVD but for some reason my manual was in Spanish so I don't have a clue what it says lol.

So I'm quite the newbie at the camera and it's settings - if anyone has any suggestions here please walk me through them step by step :blushing:

The problem is, every time I go to take a picture of a kitten they blink because the picture snaps after the flash goes off. So just about every picture turns out with them with their eyes closed :er:

Is there anything I can do besides just use more natural light and turn the flash off? I am using the default, pop-up flash that comes with the camera. I have played around with the camera settings but I don't see anything pertaining to this.

Thanks so much for any help you can give

Experiment by shooting in P mode and increasing your ISO. P mode will keep your in camera flash from popping up and activating.

if this doesn't work try using toothpicks to keep the eyes of your subjects open....

Thank you... so I have to buy a nikon speedlight flash? :er: I saw nothing else in there that helped me... I twidled with the dial and modes in P,S,A,M modes but results are always the same - blinking kittens :(

no... try higher iso's first... if you can't get the desirable result then buy an SB400 and bounce the flash off the ceiling...

Experiment by shooting in P mode and increasing your ISO. P mode will keep your in camera flash from popping up and activating.

if this doesn't work try using toothpicks to keep the eyes of your subjects open....
Thanks.. while this did kind of work the pictures don't look near as good as the ones with the flash & when the kittens move it gets blurry :(

Thanks.. while this did kind of work the pictures don't look near as good as the ones with the flash & when the kittens move it gets blurry :(

oh well.... SB400 then...

you can also try pumping your ISO to 800 and shoot rapid fire.... often you can get a good shot every 3rd or 4th frame with moving subjects like pets...

Try increasing the amount of ambient light in the area. A couple of heavy-duty work lights with home-made diffusers (any translucent plastic bottle) should help.

or a fast prime lens.

50 f/1.8 can get you blown out white cats in low light.

or a fast prime lens.

50 f/1.8 can get you blown out white cats in low light.

this will be no easier for her..... @ 1.8 manual focusing a nifty fifty on moving kitties is pretty much as fun a sticking a fork in your eyeball...

this will be no easier for her..... @ 1.8 manual focusing a nifty fifty on moving kitties is pretty much as fun a sticking a fork in your eyeball...

The answer: sedatives. ;)

Other than that, the Sigma 30mm 1.8 HSM works.

It's always the case that the flash fires just before the shutter opens. The only real way is to keep shooting, and hope for the best. Rear Curtain Sync might help too, but I kinda doubt it (hold the "Flash" button and use the scroll wheel to select it). Good luck!

And Dylj: Do you mean the Sigma 1.4 HSM?

It's always the case that the flash fires just before the shutter opens. The only real way is to keep shooting, and hope for the best. Rear Curtain Sync might help too, but I kinda doubt it (hold the "Flash" button and use the scroll wheel to select it). Good luck!

And Dylj: Do you mean the Sigma 1.4 HSM?
Thank you for the help. Right now I'm thinking that I can't believe I wasted $800 on a camera. Yes I love it for close up shots of a lot of things but the main thing I take pictures of is kittens for our website. I guess I'll have to drag out my old $80 piece of crap digital camera... they didn't look near as good but at least they didn't f**king blink.

I'm so frustrated :\

Just try rattling off a few shots. It's the only real way, and it happens to me all the time. You'll just have to hope that one of them turns out well.

Regarding to my previous post, the flash doesn't actually fire before the shutter opens, but it has the same effect (the kittens blink before the exposure has ended)

Most reactions

Back