Nikon D60 or D80?

bisp21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, I have mastered the point and shoot digital camera and want to move onto bigger and better. I have already done some small business items with my digital camera, but am limited to what I can do and need to take a step forward.

Should I get the D60 or D80. Cost isn't much of the issue, if the D80 is going to be much better for me, but if I can do the same things with the D60 and do just as good as work with D60 I am going to go with it. The D60 comes with an extra lense and is about $400 cheaper initially right off the bat.

I will be taking nature and architechtural shots mostly. Some weddings too.

If D80, why?

the D80 will be able to autofocus with more lenses than the D60, that is the major difference.

I would either go with the D80 or get a D40 and spend the extra money on lenses or something

The D60 has the advantage of d-lighting, live view and dust removal but the autoficus isn't compatible with any lens that is just 'AF', it has to have 'AF-S' lenses. It's also lighter.

The D80 has the same sensor, it's much better built and has easier access to controls. If your going to shoot weddings, get the D80 and then you can get primes which have very good image quality and wide apertures for cheap. Don't use kit lenses to shoot weddings unless your good with a flash and the people your doing it for have low expectations.

Ok, I have mastered the point and shoot digital camera and want to move onto bigger and better. I have already done some small business items with my digital camera, but am limited to what I can do and need to take a step forward.

Should I get the D60 or D80. Cost isn't much of the issue, if the D80 is going to be much better for me, but if I can do the same things with the D60 and do just as good as work with D60 I am going to go with it. The D60 comes with an extra lense and is about $400 cheaper initially right off the bat.

If D80, why?

The D80 includes built-in Commander support for wireless flash. With the D60, you'll need to purchase a separate Commander unit for several hundred dollars.

IMO, the D60 is a bit too much like a fancy toy. It has many features that seem really useful when printed on paper, but when you're actually trying them for yourself, they won't make much of a difference. For that reason, I would go with the D80; it's better built, has a more professional feel to it, and it can autofocus with all "AF-D" or "AF" lenses (like the 50mm f/1.8 & 1.4).

However, if you still find yourself leaning towards the D60, then I would highly recommend you get the D40 instead. It's cheaper, but has a better high-ISO performance, a class-leading 1/500s flash synchronisation, and the images are generally nice and sharp. It doesn't have the fancy features of the D60, but I can honestly say that I can replicate each and every feature the D60 has without too much trouble.

And Antithesis, I think the D60 only has the advantage of Active D-lighting (which brightens shadows while taking the photo via computer wizardry). I think the D80 has a D-lighting feature, but as a post-processing effect. The D40 certainly does.

the D80 will be able to autofocus with more lenses than the D60, that is the major difference.

I would either go with the D80 or get a D40 and spend the extra money on lenses or something

Ok, so I can assume that the D40 is a better camera than a D60 then, right? If so, how which would be better for me the D80 or the D40?

The D40 is not necessarily a better camera than the D60, but I find that the newer things that were put into the D60 are not worth the $. The D80 is the better camera of them all.

Ok, instead of narrowing it down, I have become more confused and am now considering the D40, D40x, Sony Alpha and Cannon XTi. :) Thanks for all the input so far though.

Rather then get caught up in other brands if someone was going to give you a brand new D40 or D60, both came with two decent lenses, bags, memory cards, battery, etc...basically both identical with accessories and everything else, which camera would rather have if it was being given to you?

I may be getting one of these as a fathers day gift and will have a choice...

Well i think that you should take the d40x off that list. Overall its not any better then the d40, it may even be worse. It has half the sync speed and worse hi ISO performance. The only things you gain with the d40x are .5 faster fps, 100 base ISO (compared to 200 on d40), and 4 megapixels.

As for the other ones go to the store and pick them up and see if you like them. I personally would go with the d80 if you have the money though.

Wait on the new D90 - the expected replacement for the D80 due in August then buy a D80 at a reduced price if you think the new one isn't worth it.

The D40, 40X and 60 are all somewhat 'crippled' in needing AF-S lenses. There's some pretty good older glass out there you can't use on these cameras. Any of the f/1.8 primes and the 35-70 f/2.8 come immediately to mind.

We replaced our D40 with a D50 (nice small size, cheaper than a D80) for this reason.

If you think there's any chance you're going to get more serious about this save some money long term and buy a 'higher level' camera right off (that means NOT the 40, 40x, 60 bodies).

If D80, why?
If you're thinking of doing weddings seriously and professionally, I'd skip both of these cameras and go straight to a D200. I have no idea how the D60 is, but the metering on the D80 can be all over the map, especially when you have a guy in a black tux and a woman in a white dress right in the center of your frame. For that reason alone I'd go with a D200 for serious wedding work which has much more consistent metering. It also gives you a lot more direct access controls, more info in the finder, and is a lot easier to change up configuration wise on the fly. The D80 is a pretty serious amateur camera, but not quite serious enough when it comes to the real professional work. D200's are still available NEW for just $1100 USD, or for about the same price as a new D80 if you get one used.

Another vote for the D200, they are absoulte bargains at the moment.

Go and hold and use each of these cameras. The answer generally becomes apparent very quickly, if not immediately.

After holding the D200 there is no way I would now want to shoot with anything less.

Of course you may find the D40's size and light weight preferable, but unless you go and play with them, you won't know.

Most reactions

Back