Nikon D60 replacement out - D3000

The only real difference is the 11 point af :S

True, but having that on my D90 it's kinda nice... and it's only $50 more than the D60 right now.

I'm thinking the high ISO performance might be on par with the D5000 too, which would be sweet.

I think I would forgo the D3000/60 and either get a second D90 body or save up for a D300 before they become impossible to get.

True, but having that on my D90 it's kinda nice... and it's only $50 more than the D60 right now.

I'm thinking the high ISO performance might be on par with the D5000 too, which would be sweet.

Probably not. The D3000 uses a CCD with specs that seem to match the D60 (and D80 & D200). The D5000 uses the same CMOS chip found in the D90 and similar to the D300 (possibly a match to the new D300s) with only slight differences in the processing engine (DXOmark rates the D5000 as a near match to the D90 and both very slightly better than the D300).

When those old D300's hit $1k, I'm snatching one up... if I can resist the temptation to buy a D300s that is.

When those old D300's hit $1k, I'm snatching one up... if I can resist the temptation to buy a D300s that is.
There was a refurb D300 available earlier today for $1300.

If the price stays the same till it's available, you get the D300s's AF video and extra memory card essentially for free compared, to today's price of a D300.

So really, the D3000 is a D60 with 11 focal points?

Is that really it?

In terms of real features, yes. There are also changes in the menu system and an new expanded help system targeted at P&S users moving up to their first DSLR. They also mention improved legibility due to using a larger font which may indicate some incremental improvement in the LCD display hardware.

Given that the MSRP is only $599USD is sounds like rather substantial improvements for what is really no increase in price. D60s have been somewhat less lately, but that seems to be sell-off discounts. Most of the time the D60 sold for more.

Most reactions

Back