Nikon D60 vs Panasonic Lumix G1

Fremen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I'm new on this board. Been reading alot for the past few days mostly here and on a few other sites.

I'm looking for my first DSLR.

Budget wise, i'm mostly going to get the Nikon D60. But the Panasonic G1 is tempting me. I dont have big fingers so its ok with me :)

From what I know about the G1 is that only 2 lens are available for now ( more coming in September, if im right? ). I know you can use adaptor...

I'll go at the store for the D60, dont think they have the G1 where I go.

My question is...( are )..

Wich one do you recommend? goods and bads..

Any of you tried both?

I'll mostly like to do portrait, nature, landscape, city life, and close ups on flowers, insects...etc....

Thx for you time and inputs.

P.S. Lets consider that I know nothing about photography....been a long time since,,and it was not digital :)

Thx for that link. It confirms more and more my choice....Nikon D60 will surely be my first new love in DSLR.

Thx for your time and input.

Fremen

The micro 4/3rds mount is still iffy in my book even though I do like the design. The reason why I say "iffy" is not because any issue with the new mount but due to Olympus and Panasonics market strategy. The camera(s) were released and sold in a select set of packages containing kit lenses. This is NOT a system. This tells me that neither company is backing the new mount 100%.

People serious in photography are looking for a system.... The m4/3rd is not a system yet...

Personally.. I am in the market for a deal on a G1 panasonic. For me it is to replace an aging high end P&S not as my main system. In your case, I'd stick with the Nikon

Also, don't put too much into dxomark's results. There are a lot of inconsistencies in their results. Think of it as a general pointer...

Thx for you input.

Ill stay with a " classic " for now and maybe give a try for another type later. I have alot to renew with and discover first.

Very different from a point in shoot ( Canon As40 ).

I started to watch their DVD last night ( from Nikon ) and so far, i like it.

Thx again

Fremen

IMO, the D40 is basically the exact same camera as the D60 (aside from the MP) so, just get a D40.. its a great entry level camera (which the D60 also is.. but the D40 saves you a few bucks)

IMO, the D40 is basically the exact same camera as the D60 (aside from the MP) so, just get a D40.. its a great entry level camera (which the D60 also is.. but the D40 saves you a few bucks)
Now that is a pointed, concise technical reason........in my opinion.

The 70% increase in MP is well worth the slightly higher price for the D60. Add the reasons Dwig provided and unless your budget is severely constrained, you get the D60.

Agreed. Go for the D60 over the D40. If your budget is even bigger, go for the D80 with the 18-135 kit lens (or 18-55 VR, or 18-55 ED II lens) . Or D90 with the 18-105 VR lens. Then youd really be hitting the ground running.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back