Nikon D60

can't wait for the D80 replacement, I'm already growing out of my D40x, but can wait. . .D300 is too much for me, and i think the D60 is just retarded. . .

The D40 and the D40X are excellent machines for the money. I have the D80 which is overpriced in comparison to the 40X. It does have two flash features that are important to me:

1) FP Flash (sync at any speed) with at least the SB-600 flash head.

2) I can use the built-in flash as the commander in a multi-flash environment.

Other than that, I don't think there's any difference.

Yeah, but using the built-in flash as a commander can be very useful. Especially if you set it so that the built-in flash merely sets off other flashes and doesn't actually affect the exposure at all, I use that feature on my D300 all the time, in fact, in almost all of my portrait-work.

The D40 and the D40X are excellent machines for the money. I have the D80 which is overpriced in comparison to the 40X. It does have two flash features that are important to me:

1) FP Flash (sync at any speed) with at least the SB-600 flash head.

2) I can use the built-in flash as the commander in a multi-flash environment.

Other than that, I don't think there's any difference.

I find it very difficult to live without the depth of field preview.

Yeah, but using the built-in flash as a commander can be very useful. Especially if you set it so that the built-in flash merely sets off other flashes and doesn't actually affect the exposure at all, I use that feature on my D300 all the time, in fact, in almost all of my portrait-work.

How do you get the built in flash to not effect the exposure? Thats why I hardly ever use my sb600 off the camera.

How do you get the built in flash to not effect the exposure? Thats why I hardly ever use my sb600 off the camera.

I'm not sure how it's done on cameras other than the D300...
But this is how it's done on that...
Custom Settngs menu, flash/bracketing, and then you go to 'Built-in flash', set it on commander mode, and then go into the commander mode settings, and put built-in flash to '--'.

Most reactions

Back