Nikon d60

Beth81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I finally got a camera and it's not even the one I wanted, but it works for starters. I ordered the Nikon d80 but low and behold my luck the order got messed up. I finally said forget it and went to best buy and bought the d60. It only came with the 18-55 kit lens but i have the 50mm lens also. I have taken several pictures already with these lenses but I wanted to know what's a good lens to shoot weather? We are suppose to be having some heavy storms come rolling through in a few days and I really want to capture that. So what lenses are good for that? Oh and as soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll have some for C & C.

It's funny, I had a friend who was in the exact same situation; had to wait for her D80 to roll through. Thought about cancelling; told her - be patient. It is worth the wait.

Well you use what you got. Only AF-S (and the equivalent lenses from third parties) will autofocus on your D60, so unless you are comfortable autofocusing, I would look at the 70-300 VR or the 50-200 VR lens.

It's funny, I had a friend who was in the exact same situation; had to wait for her D80 to roll through. Thought about cancelling; told her - be patient. It is worth the wait.

Well you use what you got. Only AF-S (and the equivalent lenses from third parties) will autofocus on your D60, so unless you are comfortable autofocusing, I would look at the 70-300 VR or the 50-200 VR lens.

Thank you!! I think I've taken some really good shots so far (at least a few) but it's just going to take some time for me. My turn dial on the top is always set on automatic..is it suppose to be set on anything different? I haven't read that far in the manual yet. LOL oh and also, what's a good macro lens?

Thank you!! I think I've taken some really good shots so far (at least a few) but it's just going to take some time for me. My turn dial on the top is always set on automatic..is it suppose to be set on anything different? I haven't read that far in the manual yet. LOL oh and also, what's a good macro lens?
Nice! Glad to see that your photos are turning out well, I was really quite depressed when I first got my D40 and took some photos.

Automatic exposure is alright, although you get, literally, no options at all. I would very highly recommend you start on Program mode. It's basically the same as Auto (i.e. the camera works out what aperture/shutter speed combination to use), but you can choose the ISO sensitivity (higher ISO means a faster shutter speed to freeze action BUT also more "grain" in the image; for sports you might want 400-800, landscapes always leave it at 100 if you have a tripod), when to use flash (the button's on the left side of the flash module), and you can also "shift" the Program settings if you want a higher shutter speed or a smaller aperture.

Of course, there is no substitute for reading the manual. Do it. NOW. ;)

you really should have waited, the d80 is a better camera than the d60... very soon you will notice the lack of af motor and will want to upgrade.

I have the D60, I love it. The flash sync isn't as fast as I would like it to be, but I can adapt. I was looking at the D80 and the D200 and decided against both because the D60 contains the same sensor that was in the D80 and D200. So, you get the same sensor quality at a lesser price.

You will love the camera. I don't even AF mine anymore. Every shot I do is MF.

you should have waited i rushed out t buy a camera and wanted the d80 but didnt have the cash so i bought the d40 now less then a year later i am kicking myself for not waiting. I hwve been oftered 200.00 bucks for a camera less then a year old that i paid close to 600 for a trade towards the D80
you will miss the drive motor for auto focas

Well hopefully I can learn everything well enough so I can use the MF. Besides this is not a camera I plan on using forever. I do plan on upgrading and I'll keep this as a back up camera but in the meantime I think its a good camera to "learn" with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back