Nikon D610 Set-up question.

jbylake

Dodging the Men in Black
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure what thread this should be in, so I'll try here. I'm in the process of setting up my camera, while reading the book "Mastering the Nikon D610".

Here's my dilemma. I'm coming from a film background, and also have absolutely no idea how to use Lightroom 6, which came with my camera. (I have just very rudimentary skills in Photo Shop Elements that I also go in a package deal.)

Now I'm stuck. I've ordered a book, through recommendations on this forum, on using LR 6. I'm at the stage in the set-up where I have to choose between NEF (RAW), or JPEG, or JPEG fine, or a few other variants of JPEG.

I can use two memory cards and have RAW saved on one card and JPEG on another. Or use one as an overflow for whatever format I want to shoot in. Or one primary and the other a back-up.

Since I think it'll be at least a couple of three weeks of reading before I can begin shooting in RAW, how would you proceed, as far as set-up. And if you're going to recommend JPG's, which JPG format do you recommend.

I think this question answers itself: Use JPEG while learning new camera and nuances of digital photography, until I at least get a rudimentary understanding of PP with Lightroom, then format one or both cards for RAW.

However, I don't want to walk off a cliff with a blindfold on. Could I get some educated replies here, on what and why you would recommend I do?

Thanks in Advance for your valuable time.

J.

RAW+JPG, Large, Fine. Takes a little more space, but gives you the best of all worlds. I like to set my bodies up for sequential recording (RAW1+JPG1, RAW2+JPG2 -> etc). In cases where data safety is paramount (weddings) then I will duplicate all files on both cards.

If I'm reading correctly, save in both RAW and JPG, one on each card until I can start trying PP in LR? Once I start learning PP in LR, then leave it that way?

As far as safety goes, I'm not a pro, even with years of film experience. So unless I catch some aliens exiting their spacecraft, or a bigfoot or something like that, I really am not that concerned about safety. So I could probably go without the Primary + Backup setting?

Thanks again,
J.

Why not RAW + JPG both on one card? What's wrong with that? The second card can function as a backup copy, or overflow as you wish. Why make it more complicated than it is?

Why not RAW + JPG both on one card? What's wrong with that? The second card can function as a backup copy, or overflow as you wish. Why make it more complicated than it is?
Yep, this is what I was recommending... sorry, I just washed my tongue, and can't seem to do a thing with it...

Raw is really not complicated to use, folks should be less affraid of it.
It's has more data so more voluminous, but once open, you have a pretty easy menu where you can save your highlight or your lowlights, go shooting for fun, outdoors, friends, street photography, load your images into your computer and be amazed, nothing to fear, just fun. Otherwise, I always shoot Jpg and Raw, i'm lazy, if someone pay for an unedit file, I do not have to convert them, it's already in my computer.

You know, reading the section in the book about possible settings of the card, I don't recall it saying that I could have both formats, RAW and JPG on the same card. Thought I would have to format each diffently. I'll have to re-read that section. That would be the simplest way, I suppose. I thought it was like having to have a disk formatted for Windows, and another disk (or partition) formatted for Linux. So I 'll need to put my nose back in the book!
Thank you, I'll flush my headgear out, and take another look at the book.

Thanks much,
J.

You know, reading the section in the book about possible settings of the card, I don't recall it saying that I could have both formats, RAW and JPG on the same card. Thought I would have to format each diffently. I'll have to re-read that section. That would be the simplest way, I suppose. I thought it was like having to have a disk formatted for Windows, and another disk (or partition) formatted for Linux. So I 'll need to put my nose back in the book!
Thank you, I'll flush my headgear out, and take another look at the book.

Thanks much,
J.

Absolutly not, I Have a d610 myself, you can shoot both format on one card :)
exemple; you'll have _DSC6155.nef _DSC6155.jpg

I just had to add another 2tb to my pc. Don't need raw + jpg. Waste of space -- both on card and hdd.

using tapatalk.

Thank you all for your patience and replies. I was getting all discombobulated over nothing, I suppose.:biggrin-93: Nikon ninja's.

J.

I just had to add another 2tb to my pc. Don't need raw + jpg. Waste of space -- both on card and hdd.

using tapatalk.
Braineack, the only reason I want both, for now, is that when the weather clears up a bit, I'm going to take just one lens and my camera and experiment while learning the camera. I thought I'd try both RAW and JPG. Reason being, I can use the JPG's right away. I can save the RAW files for learning LR PP, after I get a few chapters into the book. (a LR book recommended in another thread.) Have to remember, I'm coming from film (with a few years off) and am new to working in digital. Later, when I get a little experience with LR6, and feel confident enough, I can get more into RAW for more advanced PP. Bad idea? I'm all ears, and appreciate all advice/replies.

Thanks,
J.

I only shoot RAW right now. When I get a new camera that can send photos to my phone the plan is to use RAW + JPG small fine.

When I first went to a DSLR it took me about two or three weeks before I went to RAW+JPG. I also had picked up LR when I got the DSLR so it took those couple weeks to have a basic workflow. Having both the RAW and JPG gave me some time at the start to compare the two images after I had applied my developing on the RAW. Later I dropped the JPG as my workflow is faster without it. I wish I had started from day one with RAW.

I think the options for the cards is Overflow, Backup, RAW 1 -JPG 2. With Overflow you would have both the RAW and JPG on the same card and when that card filled it will start writing to card 2.

In LR you set it so it only Imports the RAW. I like RAW 1-JPG 2 so I know all my RAW are on card 1 for Import and those go to a directory I call Archive\NEF.

Always format the cards in the camera. I reformat the card every time I put it back in the camera.

using tapatalk.
Another question, Braineack, I was considering one of the "personal cloud" basically a Wifi HD, since they are getting so cheap. 3TB for a couple of hundred dollars. I have a 1TB in my laptop, for downloading to, then can upload to "Personal Cloud" HD. Any thoughts? Thanks again, and sorry about the barrage of questions, but one question and reply seems to beg a dozen more.

Thanks,
J.

5tb usb 3.0 drive is $130. Your raw files are 30-40mb each.

You still have to load jpgs on your computer, it takes 2 Seconds to save out the ones you want "right away".

I personally have no need for 2 copies of the same file, just one being basically useless for editing and sharing only. If I have reason to share I'll save it out.

using tapatalk.

I get you on the 5TB drive, but I doubt I'll have that much need for storage, and the "personal cloud" , 2 or 3 TB external drive, well I've use external drives, and hate being tethered to my laptop. Anyway, storage is not the problem, my ignorance on the subject of file type and file systems, has been addressed, by you and other's and I have a much clearer understanding of how to handle these things.

Thanks to all of you,

J.

Most reactions

Back