Nikon D610 thoughts?

DreamCatcher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is your opinions on this camera body? I have been looking on mpb.com?

Buy it! If your looking to full frame Nikon, and can't / don't want to buy the upper models. Buy the D610! I have D600 and D800. I will use either of them. Wife likes the D600 more than the D800. So, she typically uses the D600, and I the D800.

The D610 is still currently listed as the 9th best camera, sensor wise on DXO.

Yeah currently I can't afford the newer models and from what I've read on my own. The D610 is a very capable full frame considering it's age.

I bought a D610 this summer. I am very UN-impressed with the autofocusing system and its sluggish performance with consumer-level lenses, as well as with the 180 AF-D and 85/1.8 AF-S G and the 50mm Nikkors...also the white AF assist lamp, while pretty good in dim light, comes on wayyyyy too often, and the presence and the unfortunate necessity of Nikon's decision to include said AF assist lamp is indicative of a weak AF module. There are some issues that this camera has with AF that are exceptionally annoying. Back focusing. Front focusing. Missing OBVIOUS targets. Refusing to SHOOT, etc.. Just a major PITA camera compared to the many I've used before.

This camera can often not "see" a seagull in flight, or even a jet airliner at 1,000 feet, and can become confused on otherwise easy subjects. Worst AF module I've seen in any Nikon. Period.

After 16 years with Nikons like the D1, D1h,D2x,and D3x, as well as consumer Nikons like the D70,D40, and the Fuji S2 Pro, I have to say, the autofocus module of this camera is weaker than I had been lead to believe. I find the camera slow and rather unresponsive, and am really regretting the decision to buy it. The D610 has been a major dissapointment to me. One of my LEAST-favorite digital SLR cameras, and I have owned the above models, plus others, and three Canon digitals.

This is a consumer-level body and AF module. I loathe the ISO system, and the U1 and U2 modes are fairly useless. Overall, the camera is adequate, but not much more than that. The FILE quality on the other hand, is extremely good! The image quality is nice, better than the D3x, which was also 24MP and FX, but which was a simple STELLAR shooter, with a hugely better AF module, better AF performance, and much,much better controls and easier to shoot. Battery life is simply superb! The grip from Nikon? SLOPPY fit. Bad,bad fit, with a gap, and play in it. Shabby.

I just recently moved from mirrorless to Nikon. Amongst the camera tested, Nikon df, d600,d610,d800 all were front/back focusIng. The older camera like D700,d3s,d90 were spot on with all the lens. So I believe the modern Nikon cameras all have some sort of focusing issues.
I just recently spent ÂŁ90 to get my d600 fixed by Nikon and still I need to calibrate -15 to get it to focus right.
Apart from that, the d610/d600 is just a basic camera with average functions BUT with a full frame sensor and because of that it's a great buy specially D600 as you can find a decent one for under ÂŁ550..

I find it excellent. Hard to fault the camera. I don't find the af system lacking with any of the lenses I use, I have however used a 28-105 af d screw drive lens and af was poor

I find it excellent. Hard to fault the camera. I don't find the af system lacking with any of the lenses I use, I have however used a 28-105 af d screw drive lens and af was poor
That's me exacly! I got rid of the 28-105 and replaced with an older (non-vr) 24-85 and focusing got MUCH better. For me. I can't campare against higher-end nikons as I was coming from a D5500 crop, but the D610 certainly outshines that camera for focusing speed/accuracy.

Makes me wanna rent a D850 at some point and have a focusing shoot-out!

So I should otherwise same up for an 810 which used I've found them around 2K.

We have had a different experience with our D600 than Derrel has had with his D610. We have lenses from AF (non-d) up through AF-S G VRII's. It has worked well will all of them. Have not noticed any real problems with the AF system. I don't believe the AF systems are different between the two models. We also have not had issues with the shutter or any of the other reported problem. The D600 probably has 3x the actuation's on it than the D800 right now.

For current used prices of $1,000 I think it's a very good deal. Nikon has some refurbished for $1,100 not too long ago. Cameta may have some refurbished for $1,300 or so.

The 610 is considered there entry lvl full frame correct?

I bought a D610 this summer. I am very UN-impressed with the autofocusing system and its sluggish performance with consumer-level lenses, as well as with the 180 AF-D and 85/1.8 AF-S G and the 50mm Nikkors...also the white AF assist lamp, while pretty good in dim light, comes on wayyyyy too often, and the presence and the unfortunate necessity of Nikon's decision to include said AF assist lamp is indicative of a weak AF module. There are some issues that this camera has with AF that are exceptionally annoying. Back focusing. Front focusing. Missing OBVIOUS targets. Refusing to SHOOT, etc.. Just a major PITA camera compared to the many I've used before.

This camera can often not "see" a seagull in flight, or even a jet airliner at 1,000 feet, and can become confused on otherwise easy subjects. Worst AF module I've seen in any Nikon. Period.

After 16 years with Nikons like the D1, D1h,D2x,and D3x, as well as consumer Nikons like the D70,D40, and the Fuji S2 Pro, I have to say, the autofocus module of this camera is weaker than I had been lead to believe. I find the camera slow and rather unresponsive, and am really regretting the decision to buy it. The D610 has been a major dissapointment to me. One of my LEAST-favorite digital SLR cameras, and I have owned the above models, plus others, and three Canon digitals.

This is a consumer-level body and AF module. I loathe the ISO system, and the U1 and U2 modes are fairly useless. Overall, the camera is adequate, but not much more than that. The FILE quality on the other hand, is extremely good! The image quality is nice, better than the D3x, which was also 24MP and FX, but which was a simple STELLAR shooter, with a hugely better AF module, better AF performance, and much,much better controls and easier to shoot. Battery life is simply superb! The grip from Nikon? SLOPPY fit. Bad,bad fit, with a gap, and play in it. Shabby.

you're so spoiled by real cameras.

That's me exacly! I got rid of the 28-105 and replaced with an older (non-vr) 24-85 and focusing got MUCH better. For me. I can't campare against higher-end nikons as I was coming from a D5500 crop, but the D610 certainly outshines that camera for focusing speed/accuracy.

Makes me wanna rent a D850 at some point and have a focusing shoot-out!

I would whole heartedly not reccomend that unless you want to buy a D850.

I have the D500 which shares the focus system of the D850.. and since using it no other camera comes close. My D7100 was painfully slow to use in comparison and even the D750 can't come close.

The 610 is considered there entry lvl full frame correct?

Yes would be their entry level camera. The D750 has some better camera features, but the sensor scores slightly lower in terms of output. And of course it's quite a bit more expensive. It may not have the AF system of the D500 or D750 and higher bodies. But it's low light ability is only beaten by a couple cameras that are more expensive. For fast action in good to decent light, no probably not the best camera to have. But for $1,000 it's a very good camera.

Don't know if your willing to do Ebay. But D800's are down to around $1,000 to $1,200. Low shutter count one on there now for less than $1,000. 18k clicks on it.

Last edited:
Don't know if your willing to do Ebay. But D800's are down to around $1,000 to $1,200. Low shutter count one on there now for less than $1,000. 18k clicks on it.
Isn't eBay a little bit of gamble?

Most reactions

Back