Nikon D610 thoughts?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think seeing as I don't need it right this minute I'm going to wait it out a little longer and save up for the D800 or D810

Just curious, what lenses are you interested in getting? Because at the end of the day, glass is the most important. If you spend more money on the body and have a smaller budget for lower end glass. You pretty much defeating the purpose. I'd rather get a used D610 cheap and put more money into good glass.

Just my two cents.
That's a whole different question entirely. I do mostly portraits and family photos still narrowing it down to exactly what I plan on doing exactly.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think seeing as I don't need it right this minute I'm going to wait it out a little longer and save up for the D800 or D810

Just curious, what lenses are you interested in getting? Because at the end of the day, glass is the most important. If you spend more money on the body and have a smaller budget for lower end glass. You pretty much defeating the purpose. I'd rather get a used D610 cheap and put more money into good glass.

Just my two cents.
That's a whole different question entirely. I do mostly portraits and family photos still narrowing it down to exactly what I plan on doing exactly.
Mostly portraits and family photos, you probably never need more than a d610. Go for the d750 if in doubt about the af. The d810 is a fine camera but at the end of the day most people don't really need the 36mp. Sure there are other bells and whistles on the d8xx but again, many don't really need them either.

In real terms a dx camera with the correct lenses is probably enough for most needs

D610 + 85 1.8G and D810 + 85 1.8G will yield the same results, just one will have higher resolution..okay...maybe the D810 maybe look slightly sharper due to the lack of an AA filter. But having an AA filter could actually be better for portraits.

I guess I could start with a 610 and aquire glass and not have to worry about it when I move up.

What is Nikon's professional grade glass. I know Canon's, but not Nikon.

I have tried the d800. The files are much larger in size and so is the camera. I think d600/D610 is a good buy for the price. If you like prime lens, you can start by 35mm f1.8fx or 50mm f1.8G. Not sure if they are gold ring but they perform like one. If you like zoom then 24-120f4 or even the kit 24-85mm vr would give good results.
However like my earlier post, if you buying Second hand,
Try to put a D lens and see if the AF motor works.. had couple of Nikon camera which refused to af with D lens
Secondly try to use your lens wide open and camera to focus on someone’s face at a 45• degree with the centre point focusing one eye. Zoom in the pic and if you see other areas sharper than the eye you focused, then you have AF fine tune problems.
Many people would say 1.8 or 1.4 have a thin DOF and that it’s user error but with Nikon I believe it’s the camera calibration.

Many people would say 1.8 or 1.4 have a thin DOF and that it’s user error but with Nikon I believe it’s the camera calibration.

Thin DOF is distance from subject. Not user error. Closer you are the thinner it is. The further the wider it will get. For every setting.

Thin DOF is distance from subject. Not user error. Closer you are the thinner it is. The further the wider it will get. For every setting.

Yes but the centre focus point has nothing to do with DOF. Closer or far, if the lens is calibrated properly, you will get perfect sharp focus point with thin DOF. A lot of people complain that they are not getting that sharp image from a f1.4 or f1.8 lens. And then people say it’s because of the thin DOF.
So basic point is focus one eye, and that eye should be in focus. Don’t worry about the DOF. If that eye is not in focus, then it’s a Mis calibrated lens

Most reactions

Back