Nikon D610 thoughts?

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by DreamCatcher, Sep 18, 2017.

1. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Have you any friends with a d610 that you could try. I know of course it's never going to match the more pro spec models with its focus system, but the af you describe seems worse than a lot of users myself included are experiencing

2. nerwin

nerwin Been spending a lot of time on here!

I'm quite happy with my D610, I don't generally have any issues with AF performance, it works good enough for me and I'm able to focus on planes and birds in flight with no problems. Is it perfect? No. But it is one heck of an affordable full frame camera with superb image quality and dynamic range.

It drives my lenses quite well, plenty of power. When I had the D7000 and the 70-300 VR, the autofocus was slow. Whereas the D610, even though it has the same AF module, the auto focus speed of the 70-300 VR was so much faster.

I do recommend the D610, I don't think you can get a better performing full frame DSLR at this price point. However, you must take my recommendation with a grain of salt because I haven't used anything better than the D610, I don't have any experience with the D750 or D8xx models..besides the few moments I've played with them in the store and had to walk away before I go in debt.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think seeing as I don't need it right this minute I'm going to wait it out a little longer and save up for the D800 or D810

• Like Like x 1
  4. nerwin

Just curious, what lenses are you interested in getting? Because at the end of the day, glass is the most important. If you spend more money on the body and have a smaller budget for lower end glass. You pretty much defeating the purpose. I'd rather get a used D610 cheap and put more money into good glass.

Just my two cents.

5. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Other than a more reliable shutter, there is little difference between the D600 and the D610. In the "800" series, however, there are some significant difference between the D800 and the D810 that you should confirm before going forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    The EV rating of the center point is only -1EV, whereas the 51-pt AF module of the D800 & D4 is -2EV. I do find it struggles a bit in low-light, but I use beam-assist over the worthless light bulb if needed.

7. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's a whole different question entirely. I do mostly portraits and family photos still narrowing it down to exactly what I plan on doing exactly.

8. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Mostly portraits and family photos, you probably never need more than a d610. Go for the d750 if in doubt about the af. The d810 is a fine camera but at the end of the day most people don't really need the 36mp. Sure there are other bells and whistles on the d8xx but again, many don't really need them either.

In real terms a dx camera with the correct lenses is probably enough for most needs

• Like Like x 1
  9. nerwin

D610 + 85 1.8G and D810 + 85 1.8G will yield the same results, just one will have higher resolution..okay...maybe the D810 maybe look slightly sharper due to the lack of an AA filter. But having an AA filter could actually be better for portraits.

10. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess I could start with a 610 and aquire glass and not have to worry about it when I move up.

11. DreamCatcher

DreamCatcher TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What is Nikon's professional grade glass. I know Canon's, but not Nikon.

12. nerwin

Gold ring. I dunno, don't really care. I use what I want. haha

• Agree Agree x 1