Nikon D70 giving issues with CF cards

timbo59

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I own a D70 that is giving me a lot of grief and I'm not sure where the issue lies. It only has about 30k actuations, so it's not as if it's been driven into the ground.

The last year or so it's increasingly been giving me error messages whenever I try to use it, so much so of late that it's getting almost unusable. The most common message is that the CF card needs to be reformatted (even thought it has been) while at other times it doesn't even recognize that a CF card is even in place. It will take pictures only to show that there is nothing registered on the card, while at other times it will take a series of images, show them as being there, yet later on wipe a whole series of them away. Because of this constant toing and froing it creates a multitude of folders, and basically just makes life hell while trying to use it. Sometimes it locks up because of this and I simply have to switch the camera off and take out the battery in order to clear the issues.

I've tried swapping in other CF cards but the problem still seems to stay the same regardless of which one I use, though I hasten to add that all four CF cards are 8 - 10 years old now, though of different types/brands. I did some reading online to see if the cards could be the issue, but nothing I read suggested that there should be a problem with them.

I should also add that the firmware is the most current available.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be? I'm inclined to go out and just buy a new CF card to see if that makes a difference, but it will save me the dollars if someone here thinks it may be an issue with the camera instead. If so it's not that big a deal as it's more or less retired now. I was just thinking of converting it to use as my full-time spherical photography camera so that I don't have to keep adjusting settings on my D7000 every time I want to mount the 10.5mm lens on it for that purpose. That or if I get an FX camera soon I can switch the D7000 to spherical work and give the D70 to my 11 year-old daughter so she can start playing around with DSLR's, as she is developing an interest in photography.

Since the same thing happens with different CF cards indicates the problem is the camera and it needs to be repaired.
Shutter count does not speak to the condition of the buffer or any other sub-systems in the camera.
The buffer is where image data files are temporarily stored so the buffer can them write them to the CF card in the camera.

I had a D70 with the same problem and it was due to the pins on the connector.
First look into the cf card slot, with the card removed, and see if the pins are straight.
If they look straight, it may be that one of the pins has been driven into the card and no longer reaches into the cf card far enough.

Exactly on point articles
D70s Camera Repair How-To | stephan mantler

Nikon D70 CF Slot Replacement - iFixit

Ok, I'll check the pins. As for the buffer, is there any history of that area being a problem with the camera - or any Nikon DSLR?

It is difficult to imagine that buffers are the cause of your problem. My guess is that KMH just referred to the buffers as another place that age deteriorates cameras.

Since the pin problem was the scourge of older D70s, I would be that is the problem with yours.
My 'fix' to this was not to have it repaired but, once I has a working connection, to download images from the camera with a mini-usb cable rather than taking the card out.

My guess is that,having it repaired by an outside source would not be cost-effective.

@The traveler. Still haven't opened it up yet (been mowing all afternoon - joy!) but I think you may have hit it on the head. I followed the first link and the reference to the common CHA issue is one I also have been having with the camera - I just thought it was a separate issue to do with the battery!

If you have a P&S, you may want to use that to snap each dissassembly step.
Things that look so easy to take apart look different when trying to put together. (I learned this early in my dating days)
I put a small Olympus on a tripod and take a picture at every step, it's a perfect way to remember how cables get routed, etc.

oh yeah, know that lesson well. Years ago I decided to learn all about motorbikes by completely disassembling one, right down to the last bolt in the engine. Needless to say I ended up selling the 1,001 parts to someone who actually knew how to put it all back together!

Those pins - connect the buffer to the CF card.
If a pin was bent it's likely the card would not seat at all.
I straighten bent CF card slot pins in the camera using an old circuit board wire wrap tool or an ink pen barrel with the pen innards removed.

It helps to troubleshoot if you know where in the camera body the various systems and subsystems are, like the AF module, Metering sensor, Buffer, the flash unit main capacitor, the lens aperture motor, etc.

Just a quick follow up. Had a really good look down inside the slot this afternoon with a flashlight and magnifying glass, and all the pins look perfectly in place. So my one guess perhaps is that it's a case of what was said in one of the links about possible wear on the pins themselves?

Just a quick follow up. Had a really good look down inside the slot this afternoon with a flashlight and magnifying glass, and all the pins look perfectly in place. So my one guess perhaps is that it's a case of what was said in one of the links about possible wear on the pins themselves?

Do you delete pictures with the camera? I have a D70 as well and used to delete straight from the camera and had that same error. I would suggest to go buy a NEW memory card and start deleting pictures from the computer and not directly from the camera. If that doesnt work, then you can return the memory card and not be out any money (other than gas money). I personally am purchasing a new FF body here shortly, so if trying a new card doesnt work, you could always buy my D70 camera from me. No card reformatting error ;)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back