Nikon D70 lighting q

gabelimom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all-

I've been reading through my manual to find a way to override my camera's lighting sensor. I want the flash to pop up (for fill, etc.) and it doesn't. Would I need to buy a separate flash and mount it on the hotshoe to ensure that I get the flash exactly when I need it? And if so, any recs for a good flash? Again, just want something to fill the shadows and/or to give extra light in a mixed light situation.

Thanks!!!!

Hey all-

I've been reading through my manual to find a way to override my camera's lighting sensor. I want the flash to pop up (for fill, etc.) and it doesn't. Would I need to buy a separate flash and mount it on the hotshoe to ensure that I get the flash exactly when I need it? And if so, any recs for a good flash? Again, just want something to fill the shadows and/or to give extra light in a mixed light situation.

Thanks!!!!

Just a hunch but I suspect that you need to be in one of the PSAM modes and manually pop the flash.

-Set the camera to Manual, meter the scene, set appropriate shutter spd & apeture, manually raise the flash, and it should fire.

As an aside, the built-in flash is not ideal for fill-flash, since it is not terribly powerful, and is pointed right at the subject (often you want fill light to come in at an off-angle).

I would suggest looking for a used SB-600, which in slave mode can be used off-camera in conjunction with the built-in flash.

I agree I am not excly sure why you ould want to use the pop-up but in the case that you do se your camera to anything but the "Green" mode try "P" if you want o still use program and there is a little button on the side of the flash that you push and it should pop up. That all being said I do think that it ould be a goo idea for you to find an SB-800 or a 600 and use that for your fill flash.

set the camera's flash to manual and bracket the exposures from 1/128th until you hit what you need. i think otherwise it will always overpower. the d70s flash meter wasn't great.

Thanks guys. I'm going to get an SB-800 so I can fill in those nasty shadows! :lol:

So I took (part of) all of your great ideas and put my camera on A-priority, and popped the flash. It was a super sunny day, so I wanted the flash to fill in the dark circles under people's eyes. And since it was so bright, I couldn't see my itty-bitty LCD well to see how successful I was.

Big mistake.

When I got home, all the photos that I shot in that mode came out DARK!!! I thought the flash would help, and it only made it worse. Now I know that I should have metered, but I thought leaving it on A-priority was exposing it properly, with the flash working as the fill. How come they came out so underexposed? Sigh. Thanks for all your help in advance!!!

Is your Exposure Compensation off of the zero mark? That's the only thing I can think of.

Oh and is your flash on TTL?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back