nikon D700 ISO Problems

asunnyphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
my d700 was used last night for the first time set on an iso of 350 and the photos were VERY grainy. This is scary since the d60 didnt do this. I'm using a DX 50mm lens until the full frame version arrives next week that I've ordered. Is it the lens causing this to happen? is it that my lens isnt clean enough? regardless the entire photos are grainy which worries me. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

was this posted twice within 11min in two different groups?

Did you read the owners manual?

my d700 was used last night for the first time set on an iso of 350 and the photos were VERY grainy. This is scary since the d60 didnt do this. I'm using a DX 50mm lens until the full frame version arrives next week that I've ordered. Is it the lens causing this to happen? is it that my lens isnt clean enough? regardless the entire photos are grainy which worries me. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Could you post an example for us to check out?

yes, i did read the manual....and i have used the camera a few times without the issue so im worried ive accidentally hit something or i'm missing something in the manual i shouldnt have. Here is a photo example
20100619-POR_2648.jpg
so sorry this is so huge.....new to the forums

Okay, that's not pretty, but you can't really judge that image. Set up a controlled image with a range of colours and textures, same ISO (400 by EXIF data) and lots of DoF, say f11 and ensure that you get perfect exposure. Then examine it carefully. There are a couple of factors at play here; DX lens on an FF body, under-exposure, etc, all of which will contribute to noise.

Were they all shot into the sun like that? Sometimes this can cause a flaring/lack of contrast, especially depending on the lens. And, as said above, underexposure can for sure do this, and it's really really really accentuated if it's underexposed and you bring up the exposure.

Do you have any that are straight out of the camera not shot into the sun?

I posted in the duplicate thread already. :(

Doesn't DX crop? And whatever program you edited in, did it up the exposure?

By the way, sweet beginner camera.

Going from a D60 to a D700 is a huge jump and you will have a steep learning curve in making the transition.

You will need to read the users manual several times. I keep my camera and speedlight users manuals in my camera bag so they are handy for quick reference.

The shot you posted needed flash. The subjects are badly under exposed and under exposure makes noise much more visible. That photo had an ISO setting of 400, was made at 1/250 shutter speed and an aperture of f/1.8 which also softened the focus.

It sounds like you don't yet have a good grounding in how photography and photographs work, which makes it difficult for you to know when there is an issue with your gear, or if it's user error.

I'm gonna have to say that it has way more to do with exposure than noise from gain.

My D60 ok at ISO 800 if you nail the exposure. It's awful at ISO 100 if you majorly eff up the exposure. I'll bet the same is true for the D700

send me the camera i will test it.

I'm not sure I'd get out of the pits because of the "drink" button on their steering wheel (bottom right). Oh wait. It probably means water. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back