Nikon D700

SoulfulRecover

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a D700 local to me for relatively cheap (good enough deal for it to be a bargain) and I was considering purchasing it. I like that its the same layout as my D300 and that its full frame however there really isnt much a difference between the two other than the D700 having better low light performance (not something I use often) so it leads me to just put off buying it. Any reason YOU would consider buying it? I could sell my D300 and only be out a couple hundred bucks or possibly break even in the end. I have on DX lens so Im not worried about my lens situation.

D700 has a good following and a good resale value.
I was stuck between a d700 and a d600 last year - got the d600.
D700 still is a very nice camera

I was looking at the D610 which seems like it would be a better leap than the D700 but of course the price is completely different at 1,600 and I would be out a decent chunk of change. I guess Im debating the "do I really need the extra resolution?" Mostly I want to be doing portrait work which the D300 has excelled at with a nice lens (at least in my eyes) so Im not really sure its something I need so it brings me back to the D700 which will be inexpensive if it even costs me anything while moving into full frame but I just dont know if its worth the hassle.

For me the D700's full-sized mirror, full-sized viewfinder screen, and full-sized pentaprism are the strengths as far as using it as a camera that feels more like a 35mm film SLR, and less like squinting through a smaller-finder image type body. I prefer the full-frame size sensor and viewfinder for portrait work; I can literally SEE better through the larger viewfinder. Plus, the lens lengths on FX work differently...the 35mm is more-useful, the 50mm is more-useful, the 60mm is more useful, the 85mm is more useful--all at closer, more normal conversational distances.

My go-to example: 8.47 foot tall field of view with 85mm lens. With FX Nikon= 20 feet away, with 1.5x, about 34 feet away...which means that the 85mm lens makes you stand wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy back to shoot a full-length picture with room for head space and foot space. At 34 feet, the depth of field BEHIND the subject becomes very hard to make shallow. The difference is being able to shoot a person standing full length from just 20 feet way, with a LESS-focused, less-recognizable background.

Also, the 50mm with crappy bokeh = 75mm lens on APS-C.....ehhhhhh....not NEARLY the same thing as an 85mm prime on FX Nikon. The rendering qualities of almost any 85mm are superior to any Nikon 50mm lens. Nikkor 50's are a class have ugly to average bokeh...just not "pretty" imagers.

I decided to go full frame mostly because of the low light capability, for you doing portrait FF will be a nice bonus but you did say you are happy with your current D300.
Did you hear of the saying if it aint broken don't fix it ?

How widespread is the D600 refurb at $900 price I read about here yesterday? Better sensor, higher megapixel count, small, light camera for less than a grand? I dunno...I would NOT pay $1600 or so for a D600...I think the D610's 3 fps quiet shutter Continuous mode and better auto white balance system and 6 fps frame rate would be worth the higher price of the D610 at new retail price, plus a new, re-designed shutter mechanism designed not to shed black specks and fling lubricant onto the sensor...the D600 has, I think, been hurt on its resale value by the shutter debris issue and the oil-flinging issue, and the Nikon replacement/free service issues, so I see the D600 as bad investment as a brand-new camera, but an entirely different proposition as a used or refurbed acquisition.

I was looking at the D610 and its typically about 1600 new. I found some at 1400 new which isnt bad I dont think. Ill see what the guy will do for the D700 and if its not the killer deal its looking like, I think Im just going to jump in on either a new 610 or a used 800 which seem to be in the same price range.

The D600 and then the D600 + free 24-85 VR lens; the D600 refurbs; the D610, and then the discontinuing of the D800 and D800e for the new D810, plus the D750's arrival on the scene, all those things have combined to reallllllly put a lot of fast, downward pressure on the D800 cameras, which initially sold for $3299 just two years ago...they're dropping to the $1800 range used! Talk about a rapid, open-market price drop. Sooooo many good 24-MP bodies got onto the market so affordably that the D800's "lock" on the FX segment was pretty weak. I think the used D800 seems like a very good value in the $1800-$1900 used price range.

I've been considering selling my 6d and picking up a d800 after the prices have been dropping so much

The D600 and then the D600 + free 24-85 VR lens; the D600 refurbs; the D610, and then the discontinuing of the D800 and D800e for the new D810, plus the D750's arrival on the scene, all those things have combined to reallllllly put a lot of fast, downward pressure on the D800 cameras, which initially sold for $3299 just two years ago...they're dropping to the $1800 range used! Talk about a rapid, open-market price drop. Sooooo many good 24-MP bodies got onto the market so affordably that the D800's "lock" on the FX segment was pretty weak. I think the used D800 seems like a very good value in the $1800-$1900 used price range.

Theres a D800 at a local shop that a buddy works at and they will let me walk with it for ~1400. Ill be looking at it on Tuesday

Theres a D800 at a local shop that a buddy works at and they will let me walk with it for ~1400. Ill be looking at it on Tuesday
D800 for 1400$ and you are waiting till Tuesday to see it ?
I hope they are holding it for you or else it will not be there when you come to see it!

I've been considering selling my 6d and picking up a d800 after the prices have been dropping so much
Yes, that will be a nice upgrade, I don't think you will see any improvement in low light but the IQ, DR and AF should be a big step up for you especially if you get it with good glass.

D800 for 1400$ and you are waiting till Tuesday to see it ?
I hope they are holding it for you or else it will not be there when you come to see it!

leaving town this evening as soon as I am off of work for my "mini honey moon" with the wife. Also she would kill me if she knew I was looking into another camera. Im hoping when I sell my d300 she wont notice the difference between the two hahahaha. I have tuesday off from work so I will be able to run down there with out her along to look at the D800

Keh has some d800's right now for Black Friday at around 1400..... I had to put my wallet away. Almost bought one

Most reactions

Back