Nikon D70S or Canon D20?

Lorenzacchio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a digital SLR in the + or - $1700 price range. I read up on these two cameras, and frankly cannot decide. I plan on buying the body and a higher end wide to 80mm lens. I realize there is a slight difference in the pixel count, but that does not sway me either way. Any opinions? Thanks!!!

Lorenzacchio said:
I'm in the market for a digital SLR in the + or - $1700 price range. I read up on these two cameras, and frankly cannot decide. I plan on buying the body and a higher end wide to 80mm lens. I realize there is a slight difference in the pixel count, but that does not sway me either way. Any opinions? Thanks!!!

Never had a D70 but I love my 20D. I do know that the D70 doesn't match up with the 20D---it is behind it technologically.

the 20D is also 500$ + more then the D70 so I would hope so. The D70 is more comparable to the 300D / 350D ...

I also like how you can make that statement after saying "that you have never had a D70" ...

The 20D has a ton of features. Some that many people never use. The D70 is an awesome camera (just doesn't have all the 'monkey motion' of the 20D) but it really gets the job done. If you don't need all of the fancy features offered on the 20D, I'd say the D70 is more bang for the buck and you can take the extra money and invest in some nice glass.

PS - No brand bias here, I'm a Canon user and my boyfriend shoots Nikon. :D

foxXx said:
the 20D is also 500$ + more then the D70 so I would hope so. The D70 is more comparable to the 300D / 350D ...

I also like how you can make that statement after saying "that you have never had a D70" ...

I don't have to own a D70 to know that the 20D came out after it and has several technological edges over it. I don't have to own an F16 or an F4 to know that the F16 is a technological improvement over the F4 either. So don't be a smartass.

I wasn't being a smartass, I just really hate when people make comments about gear without personally trying it. It was nothing personal agaisn't you and I didn't mean to come off as sounding like that.:hug:: ?? ha

When Nikon came out with the D70, it's comparable canon was the EOS 300D digital rebel. most notable reviews all stated that which you already know: pixel count. The technology difference is typically made up for with Nikons as they are more affordable then Canon allowing for more to invest in accessories. The trade off in that regard is considered to be well worth it. Nikon has recently introduced the D70s which exceeds Canons tech lead in some respects and is also still more affordable. As your can tell by now my opinion is more or less finance driven. Bsides finances, for me personaly; I stick with the Nikon system for lens backwards compatibility. Any lens back to 1977 by nikon can be used with the "F" mount digital cameras( D70 included). Not all features can be used in auto, but function is retained. Lenses with Canon prior to the introduction of the "EOS" system are not compatible. it's up to you to decide if the small details will matter as the rest of the decsion proccess is like asking Ford or Chevy? for the most part it is just conjecture.......Good Luck.

the d70s is better than the 300d, and is more comparable to the 350d. go feel both the d70s and the 20d in a camera shop and see how they feel. also look through nikon's range of lenses and canon's range of lenses (sometimes lenses sway people toward nikon or canon, not the actual bodies). both have extremely good lenses. if you are going to be shooting large landscapes, both will do wonderfully. the d70s' sensor has a 1.5x crop factor, so a 12mm (on nikons 12-24mm zoom) would be around 18mm in 35mm format, while canon's 1.6x crop would result in a 19.2mm focal length in 35mm format. if that matters to you, then you may want to go with the nikon. however, if you are shooting a bunch of long distance stuff, then the canon would be more enticing (a 200mm on that becomes a 320 mm, while on a nikon it is 300mm. not really that big of a difference). i'm sure you realize all of this, i'm just tired and i'm rambling. sorry. like dave said, if you use nikon glass already, go nikon (and vice versa with canon). it really depends on what you shoot and what you think you will be shooting with the camera. if you are going to shoot high speed sports, the 5 frames per second of the 20d might entice you. otherwise you really wont have a need for the extra two frames per second IMO. also the low light performance on the 20d is better. on the d70 the noise is pretty noticeable at ISO 800 and above (with the 20d it is noticeable, but looks like the equivalent of some medium grained 400 speed 35mm film). you'll be saving 500 bucks if you go with the nikon, though. that means more money to spend on a nicer lens. so that might be a better way to go. as for the quality, they are both very nice cameras. dont get lost in the whole nikon vs. canon thing. it's idiotic.

foxXx said:

Gee. thats a bit rude...

Put it this way. I have a 300D - but I know a 20D is better! But I have never touched, or even SEEN an 20D!

1) What are you going to be shooting?

Any lens back to 1977 by nikon can be used with the "F" mount digital cameras( D70 included).
2) Yeah, you can mount it. But you can't meter with it. And the dim viewfinder also makes it impossible to focus it manually.

Plus, you can mount nikon, m42 and some other funny mounts on the EF Canon mount. So that's not a plus for nikon.

Also you're looking at digital. Nikon is encrypting his RAW format, so you'll only have nikon software to work with. Canon is not doing that at least now. So you'll be able to use third party raw converters, which are really important part of the pro workflow usually.

20D noise handling is way better than that of noink.ISO 400 is noticeable already.

Also D70 doesn't have ISO 100, D20 does. This comes in handy when shooting outside with a flash.

There's a grip for D20 if that interests. No grip for D70.

EF mount is more versatile. It's wider and closer to the focus plane, thus giving designers more options to design weird glass.

Higher FPS and higher writing speed of 20D. Way better autofocus.

I personally find the D70 viewfinder confusing. The areas don't light up clearly... (very subjective though)

All and all, there are many reasons why 20D costs almost twice as much as D70. There's almost as twice as much camera in there. :p

Shoot with both of them and see which one you like better. We can all throw facts at you all day and it all comes down to which one you like the best. You're spending the money, and you should make the decision. Check out www.dpreview.com and bump them up to a side by side comparason and you can see all of the strong and weak points for both. I've shot with both and come from a 10D D70 family. Just keep in mind to not believe everything you read on the net...some things you need to see/feel for yourself.

Good luck.

I have the 20d and yes of course it's a great camera. But.... Looking at alot of the D70 photos from many in here. I find that the D70 has a unique quility to the photos that I really love, especially bw shots are a tad better than the 20D. If you were to put a photo of a 20D and a D70 together , I can pick which picture came from the D70. There both awesome, and I was confused when I was in the market also. Soooo, it's your turn to lose sleep over it. 8 )

nikon AND canon SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(joke, please don't kill me now :D)
it is just funny how people always discuss on nikon and canon, it is really a personal decision, both are great cams.

Most reactions

Back