Nikon D70s !!

Wirral Bagpuss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am about to take the plunge this weekend and snap up the Nikon D70s !! Yay !! :thumbup: Anyone got this camera already? I know the reviews are into the stratosphere but i would love to hear from anyone who has one !!! I am just so excited !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and one final question, what size Lowerpro bag should i get? :???:

Thanks!!

Can't tell you much about the D70s but I just bought a D70 and I'm very impressed with it! Regarding a camera bag, I don't think a bag is ever too big. Really depends upon how many lenses, etc. you're planning on having. You'll need a little room for an extra card, battery and such. I plan on using two lenses with my D70 at the moment. One is a Nikkor 20-35mm zoom and the other is a Nikkor 35-70mm zoom. Both are fast lenses and should cover most of the gambit...

so, what exactly are you excited for? Is it the bigger screen, or the new "wider area" autofocus, or the electronic cable release?

Well i hum and harred today and on final reflection i got a D70 !! Just upgraded my firmware to the latest one so that it is a D70s in all but name !!!! I am just charging the battery to fukk charge now so that i can start playing with my camera!!! Cant wait !!! :heart:

Anyone give me some first steps advice? :confused: Gosh i am so excited about this !!! :thumbup:

Woo Hoo !!! Oh i got the 1GB compact flash card and the Lowerpro Rezo 140 at half price !! Yay !!:) :mrgreen:

Check number 3 on this website.

http://www.pbase.com/dlcmh/dslr_links

There are some lessons in 3 that are excellent.

D70 is a great camera but it does take some tinkering to get it to take pictures that look great right out of the camera. You can always adjust things in PS, of course, but having come from film, I'm in the school that thinks one should always try to achieve the best result on camera.

what do you do acheive this, KDuffer? i'm guessing you dont shoot RAW then. do you just change the color temp and the contrast and sharpness and saturation on camera? I find that so convenient...i wish i had a dSLR

It depends. I'm still learning so if I'm not sure, I actually do shoot RAW and do post processing, especially in situtations where I'm not too sure and I want to make sure I get the picture. I guess that's the great thing about digital. It gives you so many options.

When I shoot jpg, I probably play around most with exposure, white balance, and saturation on the camera to my liking. D70, I think tends to underexpose in general to make sureyou dont' get blown highlights. So, I generally compensate the exposure by +0.3 to +1.0. If I'm taking portraits, I might reduce the saturation, and if I'm taking landscapes, I might do the opposite. White balance has been the trickiest for me.

I've been having so much fun with it so far. It is definitely different than shooting film. The exposure latitute was much better on film compared to digital.

What is in the D70 upgrade that you were talking about Wirral?

I'm almost 80% sure I'm going to get the D70 because there's a 400Euro difference between the 70 and the 70s. I personally don't see the point in paying that much extra if you can just upgrade the 70.

Well the upgrade to the Nikon D70 can be found here

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nikoneurope_en.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=13907&p_created=1115371075&p_sid=1fWl*EGh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD02NzImcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

The upgrade consists of the following:

[font=Arial, Helvetica]About this firmware:[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]The D70 has two sets of firmware, A and B, which must be updated separately. This firmware update, upgrades previous A and B versions to 2.00. This download file contains both sets of firmware, A and B as separate files.[/font] Upgrade is not necessary if your camera already has version 2.00 of firmware installed.

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Issues addressed in firmware version 2.00
-
Improved performance for the 5-area autofocus system's Dynamic Area AF and Closest Subject Priority Dynamic Area AF modes.
- Updated menus with a new design similar to that of the D70s, making them easier to view and quicker to recognise.
- Page size and setup support for PictBridge compatible printers has been added to the camera menu.
- The display for number of exposures remaining when using NEF (RAW) or NEF+JPEG Basic image-quality settings has been changed. The number is now calculated based on the average size of a compressed RAW file, instead of the maximum file size.
- Maximum number of exposures displayed using a 256-MB CompactFlash memory card:
Version 2.00: NEF (RAW): approx. 44 exposures; NEF+JPEG Basic: approx. 39 exposures.
Version 1.03 or earlier: NEF (RAW): approx. 23 exposures; NEF+JPEG Basic: approx. 21 exposures
- The default setting for the camera clock has been changed from 2004.01.01 to 2005.01.01. The clock can not be set to a date before 2004.12.31.
- Correction of a problem that occasionally caused communication between Nikon Capture Camera Control and the D70 to be unexpectedly terminated (Windows).
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica]Click here to download an addenda to the instruction manual covering the new features added in this firmware update.[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]Compatible OS:[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica]Windows 98 SE
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP
[/font]

As per the Nikon site. You have to log in and create a free account to get hold of it, but it is worth it !! ;)

I was just at Adorama again today, and the two people in front of me in the checkout line both were purchasing D70's.

I suppose they've gotten cheaper have they? Maybe I should start to consider a DSLR. I have a Sony DSC-f717 5MP, but I only use it for EBAY pics...don't really like it that much. A lot of my pictures seem to have that purple-fringe on edges.

Most reactions

Back