Nikon D7100 cokin filter size ?

Canuckphotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello folks!

Have been wanting to expand my arsenal for some amazing shots and this lead me to the world of ND filter shots. I know they're are many F-stops to consider and I'm probably going to go with a 9 stop.

I have been looking at the screw on 67mm filters and for around $120 I can get a decent one. I was also considering the cokin p series but not sure if it will cause vignetting. It's a 84mm width glass insert.

Anybody have any idea of the p series will work on a D7100 with a 67 mm lens?

Looking for real testimony and can't seem to find that combo doing an Internet search. Any input would be helpful.

Photography I'm interested in is water shots during daytime and also trying out portraits. Those shots of structure at low shutter speeds are cool too LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'P' series will work fine on a 67mm lens I used that combination for a long time, and unless you're going reall wide (<20mm) you will be fine. Be warned, Cokin filters can impart a colour cast, especially when pointed toward the sun. I keep an 8x10 piece of matte-black craft foam in my bag and use that as a 'hood' to block the sun, and it generally eliminates in completely, in extreme situations you will still get a slight magenta hue, but it's fairly easy to correct in post.

'P' series will work fine on a 67mm lens I used that combination for a long time, and unless you're going reall wide (<20mm) you will be fine. Be warned, Cokin filters can impart a colour cast, especially when pointed toward the sun. I keep an 8x10 piece of matte-black craft foam in my bag and use that as a 'hood' to block the sun, and it generally eliminates in completely, in extreme situations you will still get a slight magenta hue, but it's fairly easy to correct in post.
Awesome ! :). Thanks

I've used the P-series Cokins on 72mm and 77mm diameter telephoto lenses, as well as a couple 62 and one 67mm zoom lens, all tele lenses, not used them at all that I can recall on wide-angle lenses. I still kind of like their diffusion and fog filters. Cokin gets a bad rap, mostly from people who have never used them. We have a member here, Buckster, who has used these allegedly inferior,low-down,no-good Cokins, often in pairs, or even three as I recall, and has made some beautiful photographs with these infernal devices. (tongue in cheek on the inferior,no-good,and infernal modifiers)...We even had a photo of the month landscape that was shot with one of these no-good, color-cast-causing, awful Cokin graduated filters on a Canon wide-angle zoom lens...

I have nothing against Cokin filters (I have and use a LOT of them), but with the ND G-ND, you can get a magenta cast when shooting toward the sun (Personal experience speaking). As I mentioned, in most cases it's easily controlled, and I've never noticed an issue with any of their other filters; in fact even their polarizer is quite respectable.

Ended up getting a 67mm Hoya NDX 400 HMC for a smokin deal!!!! Figured I'll try some shots with this and see if I even enjoy this photography before getting deeper into it.

It's a 9 stop so on sunny days I can get a slow shutter. On cloudy days I can speed it up and maybe experiment with it a little !!!!

Look forward to getting this thing! Pretty sad that I can order from the U.S and pay shipping, duties and taxes and still pay close to half what it would be in Canada.

tirediron said:
I have nothing against Cokin filters (I have and use a LOT of them), but with the ND G-ND, you can get a magenta cast when shooting toward the sun (Personal experience speaking). As I mentioned, in most cases it's easily controlled, and I've never noticed an issue with any of their other filters; in fact even their polarizer is quite respectable.

Exactly...and yet, Cokin filters get an on-line rap about being basically, the resin equivalent of Satan's sunglasses!!! lol

Took a few test photos and I can see out of it through view finder, however, not ideal. Used the view finder and was actually surprised I didn't have to slow the shutter too much for proper exposure. I was expecting to sit by with the camera in bulb for hours LOL.

Make sure you don't have Auto ISO turned on. A sunny day landscape photo that would normally be at 1/125 would drop to around 4 sec.

I shoot in manual most of the time or shutter priority and for ISO it's set to 100 which is the lowest :). I was actually taking photos at ISO 800 and didn't know it ha ha. Oops.

Any other tips to avoid over exposing the pic? I wS really surprised that a few second shutter would be clear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back