nikon d7100 vs d600??

cwindle1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking to upgrade and torn between the two. For equine photography so fast moving.

The 51 focus points are drawing me into the d7100 ect. I heard it's also better in low light?

it's not better in low-light compared to the D600, no.

Both shoot 6 fps.

Either would be fine doing equine photography, but the D7100 will make getting closer to the subject and cropping easier/better.

Try very diligently to get yourself to a real camera store, where you can pick up and hold and actually LOOK through both the D7100 and a D600 or D610. For me, the big deal between a crop-body and a full-frame is the viewfinder's image size, visibility, and ease of viewing. if I can literally SEE through a camera easier, or the finder image is bigger and clearer, then the camera with the better viewfinder is...the better shooter. For fast-moving action where framing and NOT cutting off of the hooves,etc. is going to be an issue, I think a camera with a better viewfinder is really a major advantage. Again, if you can get to a real camera store, see if there's any difference to you. I expect you will literally see the difference between the crop-frame finder and the full-frame finder. If you get a chance, look through a used D3s and its viewfinder, to see what a high-end "action camera" viewfinder image looks like. I'm totally serious: if you can SEE better through a particular camera, for action work, or anything shot fast, the better viewfinder leads to better "pictures". it doesn't matter how good the sensor is,etc.etc, if you end up accidentally lopping things off all the time because you cannot actually see out to the corners or the edges of the frame, or if the image is so small that important details escape your notice consistently.

I was in same dillema and I went with the D7100 but today there is a new player, the Nikon D750.
If you can afford it then this is the camera to go with!

I was just there, ended up taking too long to choose and had issues getting my hands on the D600 in time for my class coming up. So I ended up just getting myself the D610, will be here tomorrow.. I was sooo torn between the two, but ended up going with the D610 because I wanted to step up to full frame, not that it's really important.. Both are great cameras, you won't be disappointed either way.

I have alot of experience with the D7100 (about 100K shots) and about 10-12K shots with the D600. I am a bird/wildlife photographer. The D7100 AF system is snappier and tracks better. I felt the D600 was a little more sluggish for moving subjects. IQ wise the D600 is really pretty awesome, but the D7100 does pretty well for a crop camera. All cameras are a compromise.. So if you are mostly shooting fast moving subjects the D7100 might give you more keepers, but a little more noise. It also depends on what lens you are shooting with now?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back