Nikon D7100

• Thread starter Deleted member 215987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 215987

I came across a deal on a Nikon D7100 that I just could not pass up. I currently have a Nikon N60 film camera that sports a Nikkor AF 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6D lens that I'll be using on the 7100. I would like to add a prime for this camera and am debating which lens between the Nikkor AF 28mm F/2.8D or the Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm F1.8G. My budget is up to $350. Any suggestions?

I might be mistaken but I heard bad things abut the old 28mm 2.8D lens.
On the other hand Nikon 35nn 1.8G is a fantastic and very affordable lens, I would recommending getting it over the old 28mm 2.8D lens

And congrats on the Nikon D7100, fantastic camera, owned it for about 2 years and it always made me happy, great camera! :)

I just looked up the 28mm D lens in my Nikon Compendium reference book and it seems you are right about the quality. Thanks for your reply.

I just looked up the 28mm D lens in my Nikon Compendium reference book and it seems you are right about the quality. Thanks for your reply.
My pleasure.
One more point to consider, do you see yourself moving to full frame Nikon in the future ?
I am asking because there are 2 Nikon 35mm 1.8G lenses, one is a DX and the other is FX.
Both good but the DX lens is a bit cheaper and is recommended to be used on DX body like yours, the FX version will work fine on your DX body and obviously perfectly on a potential FX body in the future.

Yes, I am aware of the two different 35mm lenses. The FX lens is $330.00 more than the DX one! I don't think that I will ever go full frame as the APS-C sensors do everything that I need. Thanks for the suggestion though. By the way, I ordered the DX 35mm G lens from B&H yesterday!

Yes, I am aware of the two different 35mm lenses. The FX lens is $330.00 more than the DX one! I don't think that I will ever go full frame as the APS-C sensors do everything that I need. Thanks for the suggestion though. By the way, I ordered the DX 35mm G lens from B&H yesterday!
Nice, my buddy who also has a D7100 loved his 35mm DX lens, its his favorite and his most used lens.

Funny but I'm close to concluding that a low price is the main strength of the 35/1.8g. The 40/2.8 Micro Nikkor gives up a bit of speed but has the advantages of close focus and way nicer bokeh for a few bucks more. Have both and prefer the 40 in many situations to the 35.

I have the micro 40. It is a little step down from my 60 f2.8 D in terms of resolution but it is pretty good. I like it for tabletop work because it focuses fast and doesn't hunt focus like the 60. Also, since it is a little shorter, I get a little more flexibility in terms of camera placement. I think it would make an excellent normal lens for a DX camera and should outperform a faster lens except in maximum aperture.

Most reactions

Back