Nikon D7200 officially announced (02-Mar-2015)

ruifo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Read these:
It's for real now. Scheduled to ship in April, it will be available as a body-only ($1,200) or kit with the 18-140mm f3.5-5.6 lens ($1,700).

To be honest, I was expecting a bit more. The bigger buffer is a major upgrade, though.

Last edited:
Read these:
It's for real now. Scheduled to ship in April, it will be available as a body-only ($1,200) or kit with the 18-140mm f3.5-5.6 lens ($1,700).

To be honest, I was expecting a bit more. The bigger buffer is a major upgrade, though.
ummm yeah.. i don't see me buying one.

Last edited:
WiFI and NFC both built-in. Expeed 4. Huh....Some people will like this camera I bet. Seems like a good first step into the dual WiFi and NFC inclusion as a factory stock build. Being able to get an image from the camera and directly to a smartphone is something many social media users want to be able to do. NFC might open up some pretty cool camera-to-phone tricks that some people will like using.

The buffer is a really nice upgrade.. 18/27 shots 12/14 bit.. Improved AF is a nice addition as expected.. I'm mostly curious about the sensor though.. Isn't this the first Nikon DX to go to 25.6k native?

Buffer is the main thing, and to be honest the buffer is my only real fault with the d7100. I won't upgrade but it's a more rounded camera with this improvement

Buffer is the main thing, and to be honest the buffer is my only real fault with the d7100. I won't upgrade but it's a more rounded camera with this improvement
think i might wait another generation or two. Find a alternative maybe elsewhere. The buffer hasn't really been a problem for me as i don't do types of shooting where i am holding down the hammer. The wifi i wouldn't mind having. But considering that a upgrade is kind of a kick in the teeth. Hundred dollar cameras have wifi. The 7100 and probably the 7000 should have already had built in wifi, not much to expect. The video is what i am interested in, but seeing the video isn't significantly improved doesn't really hold well for me. Looking at the link posted for shots, it appears to put out about the same crappy images my 7100 usually does in low light with a 18-140. So i guess the new processing engine isn't really all that amazing. I would fathom they just made minor changes to force people to move up to a different camera and not infringe on the higher models territory. The 7100 probably wont see much for a reduction in price either i am guessing. They were discounting them last year to around a grand with rebates i think. Maybe discount them to 850 now during rebate season?

Now THIS...this has GOT to be one of the absolute worst full-size sample images I have **ever**seen!!! WTH is this? this is the muddiest, most God-awful soft-focus-like image I have ever seen. Ever. Ever-ever. Ever-ever-ever! This is utterly comical! I cannot for the life of me figure out who bungled this image so,so,soooo badly! Please, take a look if you need a good laugh!

http://chsvll.nikon-image.com/products/slr/lineup/d7200/img/sample/pic_04_og.jpg

To be fair the improvements are minor, but this camera may please the "d400" people more than any other Nikon since the 300s. I would def pick the d7200 over three d7100 if buying new. The -3ev is also a good improvement. I have no idea about video but I know more control is asked of newer Nikon models, it doesn't seem to deliver here. Either way it seems a fine machine

To be fair the improvements are minor, but this camera may please the "d400" people more than any other Nikon since the 300s. I would def pick the d7200 over three d7100 if buying new. The -3ev is also a good improvement. I have no idea about video but I know more control is asked of newer Nikon models, it doesn't seem to deliver here. Either way it seems a fine machine
True. And for the birders and sports shooters they would love the buffer upgrade (much overdue).

Okay so its:
- Bigger buffer (thank god), but no tilt screen (... damn)
- WiFi built in (GPS apparently not)
- Doesnt support AI/AF lenses anymore (?? says "CPU lenses only" here)
- Better Autofocus (same AF system as Nikon D750)
- Likely no more banding issues (dpreview thinks Sony instead of Toshiba sensor)
- Native 25k, but no more extended modes (BW up to 100k)
- 1920x1080 @60p, but only with 1.3 crop factor
- Flat Mode for improved video
- Zebra Stripes ... but still no Focus Peeking
- Better Braketing (max 9 frames instead of just max 3)
- 1100 shots CIPA instead of 950
- Can copy between SD cards
- Little bit bigger and heavier
- new NX-i Software

Well the buffer was very necessary. WiFi is certainly useful. The newest Autofocus system is nice, but there is no face detection outside lifeview. Still no tiltscreen. Apparently no more support for older lenses (I hope thats wrong, the press text says otherwise). Video got a bit better, but still missing important features and no 4K.

All in all: thats a camera with which Nikon can probably compete quite well against the Canon 7D2.

I'm waiting for all the naysayers to stomp their feet and say .. Nikon is crazy .. it's NOT ENOUGH !!.

For me, I think a d750 is more adept to me than the d7200. I was thinking of upgrading my d7000 to the d7100, but I might as well make the skip to the d750 instead (in addition to my d600).

The lack of support for older lenses is a killer for me too.
Did they drop an in-body focus motor ??

any info on if the d7100 battery pack fits the d7200 .. or is there a new one on the way?

From NIkon's website
Nikon D7200 Digital SLR Camera DSLR from Nikon
  • Lens Compatibility at a Glance***

AF-S and AF-I CPU lenses only
  • Compatible Lenses

AF NIKKOR lenses, including type G, E, and D lenses (some restrictions apply to PC lenses) and DX lenses, AI-P NIKKOR lenses, and non-CPU AI lenses (exposure modes A and M only).
    Electronic rangefinder can be used with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster (the electronic rangefinder supports the center 1 focus point with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/8 or faster).
    IX NIKKOR lenses, lenses for the F3AF, and non-AI lenses cannot be used.

• Lens Compatibility at a Glance***

AF-S and AF-I CPU lenses only
  • Compatible Lenses

AF NIKKOR lenses, including type G, E, and D lenses (some restrictions apply to PC lenses) and DX lenses, AI-P NIKKOR lenses, and non-CPU AI lenses (exposure modes A and M only).
    Electronic rangefinder can be used with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/5.6 or faster (the electronic rangefinder supports the center 1 focus point with lenses that have a maximum aperture of f/8 or faster).
    IX NIKKOR lenses, lenses for the F3AF, and non-AI lenses cannot be used.
Judging by the images of the prototype on DPR it still has the screw drive in the bayonet. Seems strange how they reworded the compatibility list though. It almost seems like they juggled specs at the last minute. The Nikon mobile site originally listed it at 36.6 MP. Maybe they changed stuff around and that was the delay. They are saving the new sensor and all the real goodies for the D400, lol...

I'm waiting for all the naysayers to stomp their feet and say .. Nikon is crazy .. it's NOT ENOUGH !!.

For me, I think a d750 is more adept to me than the d7200. I was thinking of upgrading my d7000 to the d7100, but I might as well make the skip to the d750 instead (in addition to my d600).

The lack of support for older lenses is a killer for me too.
Did they drop an in-body focus motor ??
big jump in price to the d750 though, pretty much double the price and being "popular camera of the year" i don't see that dropping soon. Looking at the website it looks like the d610 is only 300 dollars more than the new 7200. Maybe the 610 is the deal to be had?

Most reactions

Back