Nikon D750 Or Canon 5D MarkIII

vahidfar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

Can anyone advise me should I go for Nikon D750 or Canon 5D MarkIII? or feel free to suggest anything else!

one key feature which is important for me is versatility.

Both top notch. Nikon sensors supposed better at low iso for great dynamic range. D750 also cheaper.

Both great cameras. If you are into video, the 5D MKIII would be a better choice. You really have to hold both cameras in your hands, and see which one you prefer. Then, look at the lenses you would like to get now, and later on. That should help you choose.

Well they are both good cameras. I'd go to the camera store and check them out and see which one feels better in your hands and which button and menu layout you prefer. Remember, you are not just buying camera, you buying into the system as well. Its an important decision.

Thanks all, at this point I feel Nikon D750 is a better choice, although I think the canon focus system is better, also I'm planning to get 24-70mm f/2.8 lens, or Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, but I am wondering at a same range, canon lenses are better or Nikon? lets say 24-70, which one is better?

Here is a very interesting thorough comparison of these 2 cameras

As said before these 2 cameras are very good, never the less the 5D III is pretty odl while the D750 enjoys newer technology, the rumors say the 5D III should be replaced soon.
Dynamic range and low light the D750 has the edge.
AF of both cameras are very good, I saw contradicting info, some give the advantage of the D750 and some to the 5D III so I would choose either one due to their AF because they are both top notch!!!

I own the D750 and its an outstanding camera, really amazing and the fact its cheaper then the 5D III just makes it ever sweeter.

Canon has 2 24-70mm 2.8, the old version was very good but Nikon's 24-70mm 2.8G was consider better, the new Canon 24-70mm 2.8 is better then the old one but I believe its also much more expensive.

Under no circumstances would I go with a superzoom lens like 28-300mm you asked about or ANY other superzoom lens no matter who makes it as ALL superzoom lenses offer great focal flexibility but substantially inferior image quality especially compare to the pro 2.8 zoom glass.
Lens will always be the camera bottleneck and it makes no sense to buy excellent FF camera and put a mediocre soft glass in front of the sensor! well thats how I see it anyways :)

My advice get the D750 but either camera will give you many years of happiness and great images!

Under no circumstances would I go with a superzoom lens like 28-300mm you asked about or ANY other superzoom lens no matter who makes it as ALL superzoom lenses offer great focal flexibility but substantially inferior image quality especially compare to the pro 2.8 zoom glass.
Lens will always be the camera bottleneck and it makes no sense to buy excellent FF camera and put a mediocre soft glass in front of the sensor! well thats how I see it anyways :)

I can't agree more with this. Try to keep the zoom ratio of a zoom lens under 4, meaning you divide the long end by the short end. Example 70-210mm : 210 / 70 = 3. Anything more than a ratio of 4 and you get into compromise land pretty quick. IQ and brightness will suffer quickly.

Thanks, the thing that makes me hesitating to go for Nikon is the AF of Canon that seems to be better, although I am not sure about this.
Other thing is that I am going to invest on lens too and since Canon soon or later is going to release the 5D markIV and it might be so tempting and then that would be so hard to switch to Canon.

The d750 has top class af also. Every brand will likely release a newer better camera. Think and decide, as mentioned earlier you're buying into a system

Auto Focus on the D750 is awesome, I have a feeling no matter what any of us will say you will not trust it, it has taken the D810 AF system and made it even better.
Read few reviews about it and more comparisons and you will see what more serious people think of it, I can tell you that since I got my D750 my sharp pictures rate has went up dramatically using exact same lenses that I had on my D7100, true I have advanced my skills but the fact is that today I get very few out of focus shots even in dark conditions.

As I said either way both the D750 and 5D III are good cameras but the advanatge of the dynamic range on the D750 is already worth choosing it, the fact you get better low light performance and all for less money then a camera that should be replaced soon should be major factors for you what you need to buy.

Either way good luck.

Thanks a lot,
any idea that if at this point I want to spend less on glass, is getting a "Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.4G Nikkor" good idea? or I should go for 24-70mm f/2.8 ?
the goal is to have a decent glass but at this point spend less and still no compromise.

Other thing is that I am going to invest on lens too and since Canon soon or later is going to release the 5D markIV and it might be so tempting and then that would be so hard to switch to Canon.

Going back and reading this comment again I believe you really like Canon as a brand more then other brands, if this is the case then just get a Canon, Canon makes excellent cameras and just like any other brand they have their pro and con.
In this case I would advise to you one of 2 things, wait for the 5D IV which I think you really want or buy a used 5D III and when the 5D IV will come out to the market get it.

Comparing the D750 to the 5D IV and considering moving from Nikon o Canon makes no sense, I will not be surprise if the 5D IV will be better then the D750 but a year or so after the 5D IV will come out Nikon will replace the D810 or the D750 and they will be better then the 5D IV.
Switching again from Canon to Nikon will be insane.
Buying a DSLR means commiting to a system, even if your camera is currently the best it will not stay like that for a long time, cameras are not a fasion, its a tool, if this tool does the job you need then who cares if the other makers have something better, its not a competition or contest.
In any case for all I know in 4-5 years Sony will rule the market and both Nikon and Canon will be small player or will disapear altogether (god I hope this will never happened).

Look deep inside be honest with what you really want and then follow your heart, it will prevent a lot of headache and waste of money in the future.

Good luck.

Thanks, the thing that makes me hesitating to go for Nikon is the AF of Canon that seems to be better, although I am not sure about this.

I understand where you're coming from, and you're right in the sense that Canon's AF system is hard to beat. I think something you're not seeing though is that you're looking at marginal differences. You have to look at a camera as a whole, and not by a feature you like. Otherwise, you can miss out on a great camera. Both Nikon and Canon make great systems. I started on Canon, but made my switch to Nikon because I preferred how they feel in my hand. Canon's button and wheel layouts also never sat right with me either. Again...it's a personal thing that only you can decide is for you. If you don't like how a camera fits and operates in your hand, you'll be less inclined to use it.

I also agree with Goodguy. I think you have your heart set on Canon. If that's true, I'd either get a used 5DIII like he suggested and sell it off when the Mk IV comes out, or just buy it new and stick with it for a bit until the Mk V comes. Either way, for someone just getting started, I feel that you're maybe a bit ahead of yourself. Slow down, breathe, and learn how to use a DSLR. It won't come overnight.

As for lenses, I think I'd stick with your original choice of a 24-70 f/2.8. It'll be infinitely more versatile than the 50mm. The 24-70 has 50mm covered. Don't worry about that extra stop of light from the 50mm. Sure, it'd be great, but I'd rather have VERSATILITY of multiple focal lenths and lose a stop of light or so over a single focal length with a wider f/stop.

Something important that I'm feeling you're not quit seeing here though is that equipment won't make you a better photographer. That comes with time, patience, and practice. Wanting the "best" won't get you anywhere except having cool gear. The trick with the cool gear? Knowing how to use it. Give someone who know's what their doing a basic camera and lens and you have the best, state of the art gear you can find, including Hassleblad or Leica, and that person with the basic DSLR kit who knows what they're doing will out-perform you.

Just food for thought.

Thanks a lot, just to make it clear my heart is not set on Canon, actually it's been with Nikon, and if it seemed other way was to make a decision free from unconscious bias

Well, if you have your heart set on the Nikon, it's really hard to beat! I'd get that and pair it with a 24-70 f/2.8 and call it a day!

Most reactions

Back