Nikon D750 or Canon 6D

Matt Glick

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
New guy here.
Im in the market for a full frame DSLR and have narrowed it down to the Nikon D750 and Canon 6D. I am leaning towards the D750, but wanted other's opinions. I have read countless reviews and all of them favor the 750 and the specs show why. I wanted to see other's opinions on these cameras. The noise level in low light, high ISO for the 750 is very appealing to me, as are many other specs and performance reviews.

Thanks for the help!

Hello Matt and welcome
It depends on the usage. Both are very good cameras. Obviously the D750 is a more recent model with a better specs sheet, however you will pay more for it. If you didn't need the extras the D750 gave, it would allow you to get the 6D and a nice lens.
I cannot bang on about it enough, better glass is more important than a better body. I've learnt the hard way.

The only major aspect of the D750 over the 6D is the focusing. The 6D is not bad in any way, however the D750 borrows the latest system from the higher end Nikon bodies and will focus in lower light more reliably. So if you shoot sports or low light action then the D750, otherwise the 6D and some decent glass.
I hope this helps the decisions.

Hello Matt and welcome
It depends on the usage. Both are very good cameras. Obviously the D750 is a more recent model with a better specs sheet, however you will pay more for it. If you didn't need the extras the D750 gave, it would allow you to get the 6D and a nice lens.
I cannot bang on about it enough, better glass is more important than a better body. I've learnt the hard way.

The only major aspect of the D750 over the 6D is the focusing. The 6D is not bad in any way, however the D750 borrows the latest system from the higher end Nikon bodies and will focus in lower light more reliably. So if you shoot sports or low light action then the D750, otherwise the 6D and some decent glass.
I hope this helps the decisions.

And the dynamic range. I recently sold all my Canon gear (just have one 85 f/1.8 left) and bought a D750 with lenses. The Dynamic range is simply amazing. You can bring an underexposed photo up 5 stops and still have a good looking usable photo. You can basically make one shot HDR photos with it because the DR performance with this camera is so insane. This is coming from a 5D MKII. I'm not regretting it at all.

I agree with Andy. If money is not an issue then D750. By no means does it suggest you could not produce great photos with the 6D also. Don't ignore ergonmics, lens choices (both great) etc.

Thanks for the replies. When you say better glass is more important then a body, you mean a better lens is more important a better body, correct? I could see that being the case for sure. I'm coming from a Nikon D70, this is going to open up a whole new world for me.

Thanks for the replies. When you say better glass is more important then a body, you mean a better lens is more important a better body, correct? I could see that being the case for sure. I'm coming from a Nikon D70, this is going to open up a whole new world for me.

That is correct - for the most part. If you get the D750 the only thing you should ever worry about for a good long time is lenses.

6D is at same level as the D610 so already you are talking about the D750 located one level above both the D610 and 6D.
The 6D is a very good camera and as was said before if you are not looking to do any action shots with it-it could do the trick nicely but the D750 really is a big step above the 6D.
Low light and Dynamic Range on this camera is amazing, if you shoot video then it is one of the best DSLR for that. The tilty screen is nice for high and low shots and the AF system on it is superb.
Lots of more goodies on it but I have a feeling you will get the D750 and I do recommend you to get it, it is just a fantastic camera.
Got mine over a month ago and I love, love it!

The 6D has one big advantage over the D750 and thats the price, is the D750 worth the extra price ?
This is a question only you can answer, I think it is but it really is up to you.
One more thing to consider is that the 6D has been out for a while and it is rumored that it should be replaced soon, I have a feeing the 6D II will be a big step up from the 6D and probably not much more expensive.
Buying an old camera now only to see it replaced in short few months is not a happy thought.

I have a 6d now and really like it, but it's not the best for wildlife,sports,etc. the AF system is not the best by any means, and I have thought recently about switching to Nikon. I'm going to wait and see what canon comes out with next for camera bodies. The 6d has been great for landscapes though

My girlfriend wanted photos of the house lit up so last night I took a few with my D750.

Before:
16000006182_c24e040ce8_c.jpg

After +2.6 exposure in LR:
15814944747_c437ba8c21_c.jpg

Crop of after:
16000695895_9a9809bbc6_c.jpg

If the D610 has anywhere near this DR, then the only level the 6D and D610 would be on is based on marketing.

Also it used to be that lenses were more important than a camera body and that was that. There wasn’t much to a camera back in the film days. After the advent of DSLRs and when cameras became small computers, the bodies tended to matter a bit more but still not as much. Now a good body can mean as much as a lens depending on what you’re doing. I’d still rank the importance of a lens higher but going from one body to the next depending on sensor size and body age can mean a lot faster and accurate AF, way better dynamic range, and more features that may or may not matter to the type of photography you do.

Last edited:
^^ Can't see any photos using Firefox...

Yeah that is pretty insane DR. If I try and pull the shadows/exposure that much with the 6d I get a ton of noise and purple/magenta fringing

Yeah that is pretty insane DR. If I try and pull the shadows/exposure that much with the 6d I get a ton of noise and purple/magenta fringing

And although some people may say this is a crutch and that you should expose correctly in the first place, they may not realize the benefit this would give a photographer that shoots in high dynamic range situations, like outside on extremely sunny days.

Most reactions

Back