Nikon D750 or Canon 6D

DP Review just gave the nod to the D750, with a 90% rating!

....... It's not often that we review a camera that does nearly everything right. The Nikon D750 is one of those cameras, due in large part to its top-notch sensor and autofocus system. It also wins points for its responsive (but buffer-limited) continuous shooting mode and video quality. While it has a few flaws, they're minor and won't affect the majority of photographers. Given just how good the D750, it should come as no surprise that it's earned our top award.....
Nikon D750 Review: Digital Photography Review

And they dissed my 5D3......

"..... The EOS 5D III is a nice enough camera, but its sensor and AF systems are behind the times, so unless you have a large collection of Canon lenses, the D750 will fit you better...."

<snif>

And they dissed my 5D3......

"..... The EOS 5D III is a nice enough camera, but its sensor and AF systems are behind the times, so unless you have a large collection of Canon lenses, the D750 will fit you better...."

<snif>

Oh dont be like that, the 5DIII is still an amazing camera, the AF system on it is nothing to sniff at, got loads of respect to it, the only area where it really lags behind my D750 is Dynmic range which sadly is an issue with all current Canon cameras.
Cant wait to see what wabbit Canon will pull out of their hat when they introduce the new D5 IV, I hope it will stay a good general use camera and not a studio camera with loads of MP

Nikon's Dynamic Range is KILLING IT these days :)

D800 (random shot from a botched shoot when my pocketwizard broke, but that's almost 5 stops of exposure increase.... pretty damn clean for a 100% crop
Screen Shot 2014-12-20 at 6.33.10 PM.png
!)

I'm still curious how these nikon sensors will handle landscape astrophotography work. Being able to pull a ton of detail out of an underexposed photo @ ISO100 is great and all, but what about pulling shadows at ISO3200-6400? I love doing big milky way pano's, usually shooting at ISO4000, and then pulling the shadows in my foreground. With my 6D I get a ton of noise (not that it's unexpected). If I can pull shadow detail like this at high ISO's I'd be in heaven

I'm still curious how these nikon sensors will handle landscape astrophotography work. Being able to pull a ton of detail out of an underexposed photo @ ISO100 is great and all, but what about pulling shadows at ISO3200-6400? I love doing big milky way pano's, usually shooting at ISO4000, and then pulling the shadows in my foreground. With my 6D I get a ton of noise (not that it's unexpected). If I can pull shadow detail like this at high ISO's I'd be in heaven

Remember my milk way shot? That was f4 @ ISO 5000. Drop it to 2.8 or lower and you'll be floored. Blown away. Amazed. Awed. Excited.

Remember my milk way shot? That was f4 @ ISO 5000. Drop it to 2.8 or lower and you'll be floored. Blown away. Amazed. Awed. Excited.
Ok, ok boy relax, wipe your chin :)

Who me? I won't bother, every time I use my D800 I drool. So, unless it leaves me life there's no point.

Who me? I won't bother, every time I use my D800 I drool. So, unless it leaves me life there's no point.
You sir are ONE, BIG, FAT Teaseeeeeeee, now I want a D800 too :BangHead:

DxO measurements show that the Nikon holds a firm lead until ISO 400, still better at ISO 800, but more or less identical to the Canon after that.
(Compared dynamic range measurements throughout the ISO range of the Nikon D750, Canon EOS 6D and Canon EOS 5D Mark III. The D810 is apparently very similar to the D750 in dynamic range - even just a tad worse at higher ISOs.)

DxO measurements show that the Nikon holds a firm lead until ISO 400, still better at ISO 800, but more or less identical to the Canon after that.
(Compared dynamic range measurements throughout the ISO range of the Nikon D750, Canon EOS 6D and Canon EOS 5D Mark III. The D810 is apparently very similar to the D750 in dynamic range - even just a tad worse at higher ISOs.)

Well buddy the D810 has a pretty big advantage over all other cameras even my beloved D750 in base ISO but once the ISO start going up its heavily MP populated sensor will loose its advantage and even be leaft slightly behind but not by much.
The D810 is a better general use camera then its older D800 sister but it is still more directed to studio work or landscape where you have more controlled situation can shoot at lower ISO and get the best advantage out of this amazing beast of a camera!

And BTW Happy Hanukka :)

Reactions: Ido
Hello , I could really use some advice . I'm getting ready to purchase a new camera and think I'm set on the Nikon 750.
I will be shooting portrait , landscape and night skies mostly . Which lenses should I purchase with my camera? There are lots of different packages online and I'm confused. I am an amature but hope to take my skills to the next level with my new camera and want the right lenses . Thank you in advance!

Hello , I could really use some advice . I'm getting ready to purchase a new camera and think I'm set on the Nikon 750.
I will be shooting portrait , landscape and night skies mostly . Which lenses should I purchase with my camera? There are lots of different packages online and I'm confused. I am an amature but hope to take my skills to the next level with my new camera and want the right lenses . Thank you in advance!
Hi there
Your question will be easier to notice if you post it in a thread of its own on the forum. You should get more answers there, so try doing so.

Anyway, I'll start here. Will the D750 be your first camera? Do you already know what exactly you want to shoot, and what sort of lenses will be best for that?
If the answers are 'yes', 'no' and 'no', the best option for you is to start with the offered kit lens. In the case of the Nikon D750, that's one hell of a lens; the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 is sold separately for over $1,000, but when you buy it in a kit with the D750, it only adds $300 to the price of the camera. This, to me, means that buying the kit is a no-brainer; use it for a little while, and if you find it's not the right lens for you, you might even be able to sell it at a profit!

I'd also advise against buying a camera like the D750 as your first camera. Most likely, it will prove to be an overkill. But it is a great camera, no doubt—you basically can't go wrong with choosing it, unless you feel it's too big and heavy for you (keep in mind that the lenses aren't small and light, either). And it is your money, after all.

Edit: I've just now noticed you did specify what you want to shoot: portrait, landscape, and night-sky. You may want to forgo the 24-120mm f/4, and jump straight to a 24-70mm f/2.8 zoom instead. The wider aperture will come in handy for the night-sky shots, and 70mm at f/2.8 is a decent combination to start out with portraits. This range is pretty much my most used range for landscapes, though I do tend to shoot a lot with longer focal lengths, too, and sometimes I need to go even wider. That can wait, though; start out with one versatile lens, and learn what else you need as you progress.

The best options for a 24-70mm f/2.8 are the Nikon VR version and the Tamron VC. The Tamron is a lot less expensive (I wouldn't say it's cheap, though), and you may even find good deals on used ones. It is a fine lens, not really worse than the Nikon in any way.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back