Nikon D750 Purchase Fear

Total non-issue if you but new from authorized dealer. Great camera. In the unlikely event you have an issue it will likely be apparently well within warrnanty and Nikon will fix for free. Another positive for going with Nikon vs. Another company with lesser or 3rd party support

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Wow, so a-swim, lol! Given some of the responses here, maybe I should ask first, is moving from DX to FX really a good idea, or should I just stick to my D7200? I like it, am comfortable with it for the most part, but really struggle with it in lower light situations, which I seem to get into quite often. Thought a move to full-frame would help with this. If I make the switch, the D750 is priced at the point I could do it. If it won't represent an advancement over the D7200 and its dependability perhaps is iffy, should I just stick with what I have. Can't possibly afford a D850 or higher. I really want to go full frame, but... *sigh*

Of the models currently available in DSLR format from Nikon. The D750 would be the best body for low light. The Nikon DF is rated higher for ISO but has the smaller 16mp full frame sensor. The D7200 is a very good body though. What lenses do you have? It may be a better move to just update your lenses. The D750 sensor is better in several ways. But it's not a huge difference in what you have in your D7200. ISO would be better but not a huge difference.
I have an 18-140 f3.5-5.6 zoom (kit) and a 35mm f1.8
The 35mm is a pretty fast lens. Are you having troubles with it? And do you have a speedlight? It may be better to just get some external lighting. The D750 is probably only 2 stops better in low light than the D7200. I have seen reviews that infer this. But no actual experience myself.

The kit lens is a basic do all lens. You might find 1 or 2 new lenses will help wth over all quality. But for low light. A flash just might be your best option, and least expensive one. And if your budget allows. One that can be used off the body (either Nikon wireless system, or wireless system of another company).

As mentioned above
If you can do what's required with your 35mm lens at that focal length (what I mean is though you are limited by the focal length, if the lens gives images that are satisfactory even in low light), then you need a few faster lenses than the kit.

I have a d7200 and it is the best crop sensor camera I have used in low light (not saying the best, but the best I've used). I then bought the d610 and there is better image quality in low light. The d750 is like the d610 on steroids, better focus system and a few bells and whistles, though image quality should be very similar (read-only very good image quality)

I tried to convince my GF to buy one but she kept insisting it had poor build quality, flappy back LCD and she hated the prosumer interface.
There if there's anything down to say about the D750, that would be it. She also complained about the insufficient resolution, plastic body and the way the shutter sounded *LOL*

I tried to convince my GF to buy one but she kept insisting it had poor build quality, flappy back LCD and she hated the prosumer interface.
There if there's anything down to say about the D750, that would be it. She also complained about the insufficient resolution, plastic body and the way the shutter sounded *LOL*

Well, I’d tend to agree with her. The stupidest thing they did is giving the D750 the two line top display. Even the D7xxx and D600 have better top panels than the D750. The 750 also lights up the back screen any time you want to change the iso and there is no way to avoid it. Just seems like they very intentionally made the D750 a camera that true professionals wouldn’t want to use.

Just seems like they very intentionally made the D750 a camera that true professionals wouldn’t want to use.
Interesting remark

I am a wedding and event photographer.
I have been using my D750 for 3 years, it has been bullet proof reliable, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the low light performance, I love the auto focus, the metering system, its in my view just a great camera for the money.
I now added the Nikon D850 which I planned it to be my main camera and put the D750 as my secondary body.
Well guess what, after shooting few weddings with both cameras my D750 has remained my MAIN camera and D850 as my second body.
Did I mention I LOVE my D750 ?
Its awesome, got nothing but good things to say about it, if you buy it I am sure you will love it too!!!

Well, aren't I a case? Finally, faced with B&H's incredible Black Friday sale, I "decided" to buy the D750. AND THEN. The salesman convinced me that, except for cropping, I would be getting almost the same camera as my D7200. I told him I couldn't afford the D850. We eventually talked glass vs. full-frame (never knew sales folk could take so much time). I ended up purchasing the new Nikon 24-70 2.8 VR lens instead of a new camera and will save for a better full-frame down the line. Wise choice? I don't know. But it's the choice I made: invest in good glass first. Maybe I'm a dufus. I probably would have loved a D750, but I don't hate my D7200. It seemed like a logical decision while I was talking to him, lol!

As mentioned above
If you can do what's required with your 35mm lens at that focal length (what I mean is though you are limited by the focal length, if the lens gives images that are satisfactory even in low light), then you need a few faster lenses than the kit.

I have a d7200 and it is the best crop sensor camera I have used in low light (not saying the best, but the best I've used). I then bought the d610 and there is better image quality in low light. The d750 is like the d610 on steroids, better focus system and a few bells and whistles, though image quality should be very similar (read-only very good image quality)
I decided to stick with my D7200 for now and invest in glass. See my post below.

As mentioned above

I decided to stick with my D7200 for now and invest in glass. See my post below.
The d7200 with nice lenses is a brilliant camera. Enjoy

Well, aren't I a case? Finally, faced with B&H's incredible Black Friday sale, I "decided" to buy the D750. AND THEN. The salesman convinced me that, except for cropping, I would be getting almost the same camera as my D7200. I told him I couldn't afford the D850. We eventually talked glass vs. full-frame (never knew sales folk could take so much time). I ended up purchasing the new Nikon 24-70 2.8 VR lens instead of a new camera and will save for a better full-frame down the line. Wise choice? I don't know. But it's the choice I made: invest in good glass first. Maybe I'm a dufus. I probably would have loved a D750, but I don't hate my D7200. It seemed like a logical decision while I was talking to him, lol!

Sounds like a smart salesman. The guys at BH are famous for long and helpful phone conversations.

I would not recommend to buy a Nikon D750. The camera is not reliable and Nikon customer service sucks.
I just experienced the shutter issue many other users experienced before. When I sent my camera to the customer service, I was expecting to receive apology for the poor manufacturing quality and have it repaired for free.
The answer of Nikon Customer Service was : we can repair it for 400 euros :(

Attachments

• DSC_9069_.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 144
  • DSC_9333.JPG
    DSC_9333.JPG
    859.3 KB · Views: 117
I would not recommend to buy a Nikon D750. The camera is not reliable and Nikon customer service sucks.
I just experienced the shutter issue many other users experienced before. When I sent my camera to the customer service, I was expecting to receive apology for the poor manufacturing quality and have it repaired for free.
The answer of Nikon Customer Service was : we can repair it for 400 euros :(

Would love to hear more about where you bought the camera, and when. It sounds kind of like there is more to the story than we are hearing from you. What is the camera, an official import or a Gray Market one? WHat country are you in? How long have you had the camera? What seems to be the problem? How come it was not covered under warranty? Did you get warranty papers when you bought the camera?

The camera was bought on ebay and shipped to Germany.

Behaviour of the camera from 2017 to 2020: After a few hours without using the camera, the first picture would block the shutter in high position. But then, it would work fine again. I thought it was just a minor issue so I did not complain.

Behaviour in 2020: recently, the problem worsened. Most of the time the shutter does not work properly and I have a big black shadow on top of my picture. Shutter count: 22750.
This is an issue many other customers had, see following links and pictures attached: Nikon D750 Shutter or Mirror Issue - Help.: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D5, D600-D850) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
What sort of shutter problem is this? Intermittent problem on a D750, typically on high speed multiframe release. : Nikon
Update on my D750 shutter problem as described the linked thread. : Nikon
Stuck shutter on D750?: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D5, D600-D850) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Shutter failure on my D750 this morning.

Most reactions

Back