Nikon D750 vs. Canon 5D MKII

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Nikon D750 vs. Canon 5D MKII

So here's my dilemma. Do I stay or do I go now?

My basic Canon kit:
5D MKII
70-200 f/2.8L IS MKI
24-70 f/2.8L MKI
17-40 f/4L
580ex II
2 430ex II
85 f/1.8

All of that is Canon's gear. I'm in a position where I can sell everything and probably come out even with a D750, 70-200 f/2.8 VR, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, and 14-24 f/4 with maybe even a Nikon Speedlight. The D750 would be new and I could afford new everything else, but the lenses could be used and could even get me an 85 prime replacement. My question is, how much would this benefit me?

The dynamic range of my 5D MKII is fine, but the focusing is slow and inaccurate. This is less of an issue when shooting models and portraits as I am not as dependent on first time results being accurate (although it doesn't look professional when you have to take several shots to make sure you're in focus). This has been an issue with my weddings I've been shooting more often though. I've been having to throw out shots due to missed AF. Also, I use one AF point most of the time and it's the middle one because frankly, the rest are mostly worthless, especially when it gets dark.

Is it worth the time and effort to switch systems? Is the image quality that much better than the 5D MKIII that I should skip upgrading just my body and switch systems completely? I've debated this in the past but Nikon's offerings still didn't offer the video quality I needed. Now I rarely shoot video and even if I did, the D750 video offerings are better than the 5D MKII.

Convince me why or why not I should switch to the dark side?

Well I own the D750 and a Nikon fan so I obviously would love to make another convert but I will do my best to refrain from doing that and just tell you what I think.
First owning the D750 and not being a pro I can tell you it is indeed a beast of a camera, AF is amazing, IQ, DR and low light performance are just wonderful!!!
The tilty screen screen is also a nice plus for some if you need to shoot low, high or do video.
As you said in video the D750 is more capable even though the 5DIII is still an excellent video camera.
Never the less the 5dIII is also a great camera and from what I see and hear these 2 cameras are in many ways very close in their performance.
Tony Northrup say the AF system on the D810/D750 is superior to that on the 5DIII
The sensor on the D750 is better then the one on the 5DIII and the main thing is that the 5D III on paper is 1000$ more expensive even though lately I heard you can get fairly good deals on it.
One more very important fact is that the 5DIII is on its last legs, Canon is sure to replace it but when is anyone's guess, spending all this money and seeing a superior camera coming out few months later is very annoying.
The D750 just came out and I don't expect it to be replaced anytime soon.
It was also voted best camera for 2014 so that speak louder then I could ever could.

Camera of the Year: Nikon D750 | Popular Photography

I personally will not tell you what to do, you will have to be the judge of that but the options are to get the D750, get the 5DIII or wait for the next DSLR Canon will come out but that might be in 3 months, 6 month or a year, who knows.

Good luck and please do keep up informed in what you decide :)

I've tried the 5d iii and have been able to process the raw files as well. I think it's an exceptional camera. While I'm not in your shoes, I would just go with a 5d iii. Easier than selling everything to make a system switch. I shoot nikon but if I WERE to go canon, I would go with a 5d iii. Ergonomics are similar. One thing I like better is the aperture dial on top next to the shutter. I find that a little more convenient. That being said, I haven't tried a d750. Rent one and see if you like it.

The only reason I’m considering this is that Nikon has been kicking ass in the body department lately. And lately seems to have been a long time. I realize that the pendulum swings back and forth, but it’s been on the Nikon side for a long time now and Canon just hasn’t been producing the bodies to compete. The 5d MKIII is a very nice camera on paper and is more expensive than the D750, but the only specification that I can see the D750 failing compared to the 5D MKIII that may matter to me is a 1/4000 max shutter speed. As someone that rarely shoots where that would matter, it wouldn’t be a huge issue.

The other thing that concerns me with the dynamics of these two companies is that the D750 is on par or better than the 5D MKIII in most regards and with Canon’s upgrades the way they’ve been going, I’m concerned that the 5D MKIV or whatever the successor is will be only an incremental upgrade in quality or priced out of my range.

I'm not a pro, and I wanted to upgrade to the 7d2 early next year. I'm seriously considering going FF and the D750 'ticks' all the boxes. That being said, If I had your glass I probably would have waited for the 5D mark IV rumored to be coming 'early' next year. If I can believe the guy at my camera store there might be something coming out between the 5D and 1D, but I personally think he is pulling my leg.

Wow. What a dilemma. Considering this is how you make money it's a serious situation.
The Canon bodies 5d and 1d (and anything in between per rumors) would still cost more than the d750, even the d8x0. Right now just looking at numbers the Nikons are besting the Canon's in low light (not including ISO capabilities) ==> dxoMark Nikon ISO numbers | Photography Forum

I'd seriously consider the swap but I'm sure other Pros would be better to weigh in and give their opinions.
I like Canon gear myself but it's priced outta my range for what I want and use. I may still buy a Canon converted IR low end camera but I currently have all Nikon.

Good luck

Well, I bought my 5D MKII when it was released. I had it within a month or two of it officially going on sale, so I have been using it for that long. The image quality has been acceptable and truth be told, I could probably have gotten away with using a lesser camera for the most part. The AF has always been an issue though. I have had lenses calibrated by Canon and have micro adjusted every lens I’ve owned to deal with front focusing and back focusing issues and 99% of my shots consist of my focusing with the middle cross point and recomposing, which alters focus anyways.

Wow. What a dilemma. Considering this is how you make money it's a serious situation.
The Canon bodies 5d and 1d (and anything in between per rumors) would still cost more than the d750, even the d8x0. Right now just looking at numbers the Nikons are besting the Canon's in low light (not including ISO capabilities) ==> dxoMark Nikon ISO numbers | Photography Forum

I'd seriously consider the swap but I'm sure other Pros would be better to weigh in and give their opinions.
I like Canon gear myself but it's priced outta my range for what I want and use. I may still buy a Canon converted IR low end camera but I currently have all Nikon.

Good luck

It’s not my primary source of income, but shooting for paying clients means the work has to be up to par or else it’s embarrassing and delivering a subpar product means they’re not getting what they’re paying for. Personally, I don’t believe that I’m delivering a subpar product, but having a camera that lets me get more keepers would help reduce post processing times for myself and would help to deliver and even better product.

I find that sometimes I have to shoot at narrower apertures that I want because of the focusing.

Also, the 5D MKII’s ISO performance is acceptable for what I shoot. The last wedding I did I had just a handful of shots that were a bit too grainy for my taste and that’s because they were in a low lit barn where I didn’t want to use flash to ruin the moment. Other than that, I’ve not had an issue with the ISO abilities of the MKII. Better ISO capabilities in the D750 or 5D MKIII would just be a bonus.

One thing I like better is the aperture dial on top next to the shutter. I find that a little more convenient.

A little more convenient than the same fingerwheel just below the shutter button in a place that makes ergonomical sense?

One thing I like better is the aperture dial on top next to the shutter. I find that a little more convenient.

A little more convenient than the same fingerwheel just below the shutter button in a place that makes ergonomical sense?

I shoot nikon but I have tripped my aperture plenty of times and all of the sudden I am wtf'n myself. Maybe my own mistake and carelessness but still it happened a couple of times in one night ( same night I shot the 5 d iii) . Not enough for me to switch brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, with the finger wheel above the shutter button ala Canon, I can actually actuate the shutter with one finger and adjust the aperture with another.

Actually, with the finger wheel above the shutter button ala Canon, I can actually actuate the shutter with one finger and adjust the aperture with another.

Ive only tried the mk ii once and can't recall the wheel. It might have just been the wheel on the grip. I really like the 5d3. My issue only happened to me that one night and was enough for me to get angry at the time but maybe it's time for a new grip lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do the same on my Nikons. Except my first finger for the release and 2nd for the Aperture whereas you probably use the reverse fingers.

Seems there was a batch of the 750's with a serious light leak problem. You may want to check into that while researching it. It's well-documented if you search for it.

Most reactions

Back