Nikon D750 vs. Canon 5D MKII

You might, and I emphasize "might" find that having a 24mm to 120mm one-zoom option is actually viable--mainly due to the D750's better-performing focus system, as well as the constant f/4 aperture. The earlier 5D classic I had with the Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS USM had a very weak AF pattern (the TIGHT, 9-point diamond), and a weak AF module with f/4 glass; the D750 has gone wayyyyy above that, in terms of being color-aware, has a lot of focusing strategies, has negative 3 EV capability, and AF sensors that are sensitive even with very small-aperture lenses or lens+ TC combos...

I know you're planning on ditching the 24-120, but it's got a LOT more top end, meaning a lot fewer lens swaps.Using the 70-200 means you are absolutely forced to swap out the lens every single time you want anything wider than 70, while the 24-70 means every time you want a medium tele, you must go to the 70-200; the 24-120 bridges a huge span of useful focal lengths. And now, you will have class-leading high ISO capability, and a much stronger focusing option, even with f/4 glass. Just something to consider I think.

I would totally keept that 24-120 f/4

Placed my order on the d750 kit and 70-200 f/2.8.
Conrats :)
You are going to be very happy very soon!

The D750 is a big jump from your previous camera.
The 24-120mm F4, it is a very useful range but I still like my 24-70mm 2.8 better, it doesn't have the range the other lens have but its much faster thus gives me more flexibility in different lighting situations which for me is much more important and it is sharper then the 24-120mm.
The way I like working is by having the most minimum lenses I need to schlep on me and minimum to change so the 24-70mm and 70-200mm gives me only 2 lenses that are fast and sharp and covers my most used focal range.
If I had the 24-120mm f4 I would need to take more lenses with me because as I mentioned I like the flexibility to shoot at low lights too thus more lens to own and schlep.

If you came from dx the dof is reduced by about 40% inherently.

I'm coming from a 5d mkii where my primary lenses are the 17-40 f/4, 24-70 f/2.8, and 70-200 f/2.8. I don't ever find the lack of overlap at 70mm an inconvenience and would rather have the shallower DOF and faster max ap over the longer reach.

And the DOF is shallower with the same FOV on a FF. If this wasn't the case, you wouldn't see the MF and LF guys using such small apertures compared to what is little crop sensor and 35mm equivalent people like to shoot at. I'm on my phone so, it's difficult to go in depth, but you can see this with the online DOF calculator.

And the DOF is shallower with the same FOV on a FF. If this wasn't the case, you wouldn't see the MF and LF guys using such small apertures compared to what is little crop sensor and 35mm equivalent people like to shoot at. I'm on my phone so, it's difficult to go in depth, but you can see this with the online DOF calculator.

This doesn't dispute what I said-- it coincides.

I'd like a little longer reach than 70mm, personally. Id be willing to give up speed to get it, since I shoot nikon and have the ability :). But you have a plan that works for you, so more power to you.

With today's lenses: I'll take versatility over the most minuscule improvement in IQ any day.

But again, that's me. I do prefer the look from prime lenses. It's just very limiting in a lot of situations I shoot.

Last edited:
With today's lenses: I'll take versatility over the most minuscule improvement in IQ any day.

But again, that's me. I do prefer the look from prime lenses. It's just very limiting in a lot of situations I shoot.

You just need three bodies and a harness to hold them all.

My camera and prime will fit in my pocket, people don't notice me, i'll take that over a big heavy zoom, also no zooms for my main cameras

I like primes and I'll get a few. They're very much useful for certain jobs, just a lot more limiting when shooting events where you would be switching lenses to capture the framing you want when movement isn't always an option.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back