Nikon D750 vs. Canon 5D MKII

I'm excited for you. I think you will really appreciate the step up from a 5D-II to the D750 in terms of how it focuses, as well as the low light performance, and the shadow recovery, and just the overall degree of malleability in the raw files, with the ability to really push them hard if you desire to.

I'm excited for you. I think you will really appreciate the step up from a 5D-II to the D750 in terms of how it focuses, as well as the low light performance, and the shadow recovery, and just the overall degree of malleability in the raw files, with the ability to really push them hard if you desire to.

Just seeing the photos people have taken that are nearly black and making a usable photo out of it without having terrible looking grain is an exciting prospect. I've seen photos that were taken with a really deep blue exposed sky and subjects that were just silhouettes almost and making a perfectly exposed photo out of it.

Canon has just unfortunately disappointed a lot of people with their incremental updates and lagging noticeably behind in sensor tech. Not to mention the 5D MKIII is $1,000 more and just not worth it in a lot of people's opinions. It's even 2 years old, IIRC and still $3,300. I just don't see them coming out with anything that's affordable with the tech to match Nikon. They may come out with some awesome 40MP hyper DR sensor, but like everything else, I'm guessing it'll be in a $7,000 body way before it hits anything in the Nikon D750 price range. I could be wrong, but as history goes to show you...

Just seeing the photos people have taken that are nearly black and making a usable photo out of it without having terrible looking grain is an exciting prospect. I've seen photos that were taken with a really deep blue exposed sky and subjects that were just silhouettes almost and making a perfectly exposed photo out of it.

Canon has just unfortunately disappointed a lot of people with their incremental updates and lagging noticeably behind in sensor tech. Not to mention the 5D MKIII is $1,000 more and just not worth it in a lot of people's opinions. It's even 2 years old, IIRC and still $3,300. I just don't see them coming out with anything that's affordable with the tech to match Nikon. They may come out with some awesome 40MP hyper DR sensor, but like everything else, I'm guessing it'll be in a $7,000 body way before it hits anything in the Nikon D750 price range. I could be wrong, but as history goes to show you...

That's sad. I feel like I've read this sentiment many times in the last few months. Too bad Canon is losing so many followers!

That's sad. I feel like I've read this sentiment many times in the last few months. Too bad Canon is losing so many followers!

Totally agree, I expect more from Canon, hope future models will kick Nikon's ass so Nikon will have to work double as hard to come out with ever better models.
This way both Canon and Nikon will stay competitive for many more years.

It's the blind leading the blind

Totally agree, I expect more from Canon, hope future models will kick Nikon's ass so Nikon will have to work double as hard to come out with ever better models.
This way both Canon and Nikon will stay competitive for many more years.

It used to be that the tables would turn back and forth between who had the lead and for a while there, Canon was the high ISO king, but it was never by a huge margin.

Then at some point Canon became increasingly invested in their video capabilities and although they have the technology to do significant upgrades their customers were asking for, they just went with incremental upgrades across the board. The 5D MKIII could have been the MKII four years ago. There's nothing in that camera that's a huge technological leap or could t have been found in other Canon cameras at the time.

I just got the camera and lens and took a few photos. It even has a really cool stuck pixel on the rear LCD. Time for an exchange. Ugh...

I just got the camera and lens and took a few photos. It even has a really cool stuck pixel on the rear LCD. Time for an exchange. Ugh...

Ah happy times :)

Very curious to know how do you find the camera compared to the 5D II?
Is it better in low light ?
What about the Dynamic Range ?
And AF system ?

Ah happy times :)

Very curious to know how do you find the camera compared to the 5D II?
Is it better in low light ?
What about the Dynamic Range ?
And AF system ?

We'll with 8 pictures, I haven't had a time to do any real shooting. It's going back for an exchange tomorrow. What a pain.

So I can easily see at least 15 stuck pixels on the LCD when it’s black. This is a real issue when shooting dark scenes. I called Best Buy and they said they are shipping a replacement to my house. In the mean time I’ve been messing with the one I have a little bit. I have a shoot I’m doing this evening that I’ll be testing it out on and I’ll have images uploaded to preview. I’ll have some impressions after that.

I've never been a fan of those tilty screens. A thin ribbon cable and constant motion is just asking for trouble.

I've never been a fan of those tilty screens. A thin ribbon cable and constant motion is just asking for trouble.

I wish there was a wireless 7" IPS Bluetooth monitor that could sync with the camera for reviewing images in the field. HD and fully able to be calibrated. [emoji106]

For me this tilty screen is not a must, yes I used it once or twice and actually it did came in handy but overall its just a little bonus, it mostly for videographer and I am NOT a videographer, didn't even tried the video on my D750.
Saying that I can tell you the overall feeling of this screen is actually quite solid, would I prefer s fused screen like in my older D7100 ?
After a careful thought no, its a nice bonus and as I said I actually used it few times and it came in handy, I don't feel it cheapens the camera or potentially makes it more susceptible to damage in normal use.
Maybe not the perfect camera for the rain forest, if I was a die hard nature boy I think I would get a 7D or 7D II but for normal use the tilty screen is mostly a bonus.

For me this tilty screen is not a must, yes I used it once or twice and actually it did came in handy but overall its just a little bonus, it mostly for videographer and I am NOT a videographer, didn't even tried the video on my D750.
Saying that I can tell you the overall feeling of this screen is actually quite solid, would I prefer s fused screen like in my older D7100 ?
After a careful thought no, its a nice bonus and as I said I actually used it few times and it came in handy, I don't feel it cheapens the camera or potentially makes it more susceptible to damage in normal use.
Maybe not the perfect camera for the rain forest, if I was a die hard nature boy I think I would get a 7D or 7D II but for normal use the tilty screen is mostly a bonus.

I prefer the 5200 style of flip out screen. Much more rugged and practical for video. Especially if you have it in a rig.

I've yet to really test the live view, but the Canon's 5D MKII was just so so. It wouldn't trigger a PW and when you are at weird angles, it's un-viewable.

Most reactions

Back