Nikon D80 AF Problem

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Taceas, May 14, 2008.

1. Taceas

Taceas TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey gang, its been a while since I've posted; life got busy for a while and I'm on so many forums for a variety of things this one kinda got put on the back burner.

Anyway, today I picked up my D80 and the auto-focus is screwy. It can't seem to find the target, and continually zooms in and zooms out. This is also accompanied by an occasional metal scratching/ratcheting noise as the lens moves.

The lens is a Nikon Nikkor AF-S 18-135mm, it came with the camera when I bought it in Feb. 2007.

Any ideas on what could be the issue and if it can be remedied? I've heard horror stories of Nikon's customer service so I'm hoping I really don't have to go that route. As far as I know there aren't any camera service shops in the area.

I don't have any other lenses or cameras that I could try the lens out on, or use other lenses on this camera, so I'm kinda ground to a halt.

Thank you in advance.

2. rooky

rooky TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know this seems silly, but have you tried to take the lens off and reattach it? Mine did something similar once and i just took it off and put it back on and it worked. Figured it is worth a shot.

3. Taceas

Taceas TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    One thing I learned from my dad's meticulous problem solving skills was, "Always try the simplest and stupidest things first". So yes, that was the first thing I did, to no avail. :blushing:

I took a few pictures last night and it worked fine, I sat it on the kitchen counter and that was where it sat all night till this evening when it didn't work.

4. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I've had a similar thing with the Canon zoom lens a couple of times-(minus the noise though), And yes doing this actually worked for me - i also gave the contacts a little bit of a wipe incase there was something on them.