Nikon D80 cleaning help

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by WolfSpring, Nov 7, 2007.

1. WolfSpring

WolfSpring TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Could someone explain what exactly user level mainenance, such as cleaning certain places can and shouldn't be done to a camera. Specifically I'm getting mixed messages on cleaning the sensor. I"m reading that it can be done at our level, but should not be done, due to niokons waranty. I've seen supposed sensor cleaning adaptors that let you see the stuff on your sensor, which I think are overpriced, I'd rather just take some tool and clean the whole dang thing. Maybe you could even get a stickied tutorial on this kind of stuff and the user level that should attempt this. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I have shot sky shots with two different lenses and the spots on the pictures are in the exact spots on both shots, so it has to be sensor.

[​IMG]

if you look to the left top and the bottom right of the bird you can see the "spots" they show up on all of my pictures taken of the sky with two different lenses.

2. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just get yourself a Giottos Rocket blower, puff the sensor a few times and you'll be good.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yup, that is sensor dust.

Cleaning the sensor isn't very hard, but it's good to use a good technique, so you don't damage anything or put more dust onto the sensor.

As mentioned, a 'rocket' type blower is a very easy first step. You can blow off some dust if it's not stuck to the sensor. There are also plenty of products that use a liquid cleaner and a swab of some type. Another option is something like the Arctic Butterfly, it's basically a brush that is charged with static electricity and it attracts the dust off of the sensor.