Nikon D80/D60 Question

bp4life71

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How much better is the D80 then the D60, relatively speaking?

D80 has the motor for autofocusing in the body correct? I just notice that the d80 is a few years old....and the d60 is new...so figured maybe the d60 might be better...lol.

I guess while I'm at it, does the canon xti compete with the d80 or the d60? And is that one a good camera as well?

thanks again for answering alot of my questions.

I don't know if the D80 is a LOT better than the D60, it does offer some advantages such as in-body focus motor if you have older lenses, dual command dials and the ability to control wireless flash units (commander mode). It also has some dedicated buttons for ISO, metering, etc.

I've had both and enjoyed the benefits of each. Currently I have the D90 and D60 and they get nearly equal play time.

Top LCD, more dedicated controls, more customizable controls, inbody af motor. That kind of stuff does it for me. Plus the MB-D80.

The ability to work with older glass is a pretty nice feature. An 50mm f1.8 is only $100 versus paying $200 for the 35mm AFS f1.8. The ability to command other flashes is pretty sweet too. As always, everything come down to cost so if you can save a few hundred buck getting a D60 then it might be a better choice and get a much better camera later down the road ( like an old D300 going for $600 when the D400 come out).

I guess for me it's more about image quality vs budget - as far as that goes the differences are almost non-existent.

You can still use older lenses, they just won't auto focus.

Write down your wants vs needs in a camera, then make a decision. If you can pick up a D80 for a good price or you can afford the cost difference, by all means go that route.

I guess for me it's more about image quality vs budget - as far as that goes the differences are almost non-existent.

You can still use older lenses, they just won't auto focus.

Write down your wants vs needs in a camera, then make a decision. If you can pick up a D80 for a good price or you can afford the cost difference, by all means go that route.

As I stated, my choices of cameras at the moment have been the Canon XSI or the NIKON 60d....but, i was looking around on craigslist and found a used D80 with two lenses, the 18-55 and the 70-300, both VR for an asking price of 640.00 obo.

So that kinda drew my attention........the product is about an hour from where I'm at, so I would get to handle the camera and accessories before paying. So thats the only reason I asked about the D80.

That's a fair price if the shutter actuations are rather low.

I say take a look and be prepared to buy if it seems legit, the D80 is a great camera.

The only thing that would concern me is if the 70-300 VR is the close to $600 70-300. There are like 3 different ones and I can't keep them straight :lol:

That's a fair price if the shutter actuations are rather low.

I say take a look and be prepared to buy if it seems legit, the D80 is a great camera.

The only thing that would concern me is if the 70-300 VR is the close to $600 70-300. There are like 3 different ones and I can't keep them straight :lol:

shutter actuations......im guessing that means amount of pictures taken? The ad states like new, selling because rarely used....so as long as that statement is true, I guess there has not been alot of "shutter actuations".

I was looking at amazon, and retail for just the body on the d80 is going for 899 still. So when I saw the d80 with the 18-55 and 70-300 vr, it caught my eye. Sounds almost too good.

Correct!

I paid $500 for mine (new), body only just to give you an idea.

You'll love the thing (not that you wouldn't love a D60, but...)

Nikon D80 LIKE NEW!

Thats one for 490.00....thats still 400.00 less than amazon's retail.

I dont know...maybe i'll stick to my original plan and get the Canon XSI or Nikon 60d so I know exactly what I'm getting.

The resale of used D80's is around $500 for the body. It will keep you happier, longer than the D60 for around the same price. They have a lot of the same internals (sensor, processor, LCD, etc.), but the D80 has more overall functionality, including the extra wheel for adjusting shutter speed on the front. There should be no question as of which one to get.

D200's don't cost that much more than a D80 and you get a much better body construction and the ability to meter with pre-AF glass and the 10-pin cable port which Nikon's professional bodies share, so remote releases and the like are cheaper. It's also compatible with GPS add-on modules whereas the D80 is not.

I bought my D80 when it was still at retail with the 18-135 kit lens for $680 after tax (thank you for typos in circulars!), so I don't regret my purchase at all. But if I didn't have that bargain on my table, I'd definitely go for a D200 now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back