Nikon D80? - Help please.

SILKA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi i'm Silka.

I urgently need some advise on the Nikon D80 as i'm planning to flexi-rent one next weekend.

I'm not sure, i just need some pro's and con's because i don't want to get it then realise it's not the right camera for me.

I guess you could say i'm fairly new to photography (The practical side anyhow), although its always been a huge interest of mine.

At the moment i'm using the Kodak LS755, and i've had enough of its awful quality.

Some information on other excellent camera's would be highly appreciated!

i own a D80, and its an excellent camera.

even keeping in auto and just pointing and shooting you will get great images, but to be honest if your a beginner, you wont get the full benefit of a professional camera in just one weekend. i am a fast learner and i am still learning new tricks with the D80 all the time.

the other thing to mention is the lenses.... i dont know what you plan to shoot with it, but the lens is important. make sure when renting you take the right lens for you.

best camera choices are Nikon and Canon as far as lens choice and availability goes

if your planning on renting the D80 to see if you like it, before buying... good idea :)

A massive thumbs up from another D80 user! Ive not found any restrictions with it yet.

I don't plan on renting it just for the weekend.

I'm renting to buy it, which means i'll be paying it off over two years.

Having the D80 for just a single weekend would be almost pointless xD

I'm very much into landscape photography, so any tips on what lenses i would need would be appreciated once again.

Thanks for the information :)

Also! Whats the D80's optical zoom like?
Optical zoom is more important than megapixels, yes?
(I'm not planning to do large prints at this stage).

Also! Whats the D80's optical zoom like?
Optical zoom is more important than megapixels, yes?
(I'm not planning to do large prints at this stage).
On a Dslr like the D80 their isn't an optical zoom on the camera body like a point and shoot....with a dslr you can put on a wide angle lens for landscapes, a zoom for the zoo etc.. I have the 18-135mm lens and it is a great all around lens for the money. If you do a lot of landscapes you might want a wide angle lens in addition to a longer lens for work. I find that at 18mm it is plenty wide enough 98% of the time.

Megapixels don't really mean anything on enlarging a print, they do to a point however they are great marketing slogans imho. I have taken a slightly cropped 4 megapixel photo that was sharp to begin with and enlarged it to a 13x19 using enlarging software and a bit of sharpening and everyone couldnt believe it came form a nikon coolpix. you will be able to make posters with the D80 as long as their not fuzzy.

heres an article on megapixels that might help you.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

This Lens guide is a bit technical but the comparison pictures help see what a 70mm zoom vs 300mm zoom....dont forget the 1.5x digital converison factor in the article as well.
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/learni...der/choosing_lens/choosing_lens_schneider.asp

I hope this helps you, I was in the same boat last year and was debating d50 vs d80 and I picked the d80...I love it and it dont have any regrets.
Also heres a D80 guide that helps allot more than the maual.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d80/users-guide/index.htm

Make sure you photograph an aussie kangaroo and post it here!

Thanks a lot for that :)

The salesman i was talking to this weekend told me i'd probably go well with the 18-135mm lens.

He's also chucking in a carry bag and 2gb memory card, so i'm quite happy about that.

Just a few more questions, if i may.

How easy to use is the D80?
And do you think i'll need a tripod at this stage?

Thanks.
Silka.

How easy to use is the D80?
And do you think i'll need a tripod at this stage?

If you want to get a feel for the DS80, and are coming from the world of point-and-shoot cameras, you might want to try the following:

1. Set your camera to "P" ("programmed auto" mode). In this mode, your camera will make most decisions for you.
2. Using the menus, set "image quality" to "JPEG Normal" and "image size" to "large".
3. Set "optimize image" to VI (vivid)
4. Set "color mode" to "IIIa".

Then go out and shoot some pictures. After you get a feel for the camera, start experimenting with other settings.

I agree also those sound like good starter settings,

The P mode is really more flexible than auto, you can keep the flash off or turn it on (by poping it up) and even reduce the power of the flash manualy, you can also turn the dials to change the aperture size (it selects one automaticly but you can crank it down for more depth of field) and much more.

I would recomend an economy tripod to get started, if you find your pictures arn't sharp enough or you dont have enough light, you will need one. I ended up getting this sunpack below, I had a cheap on from walmart (dunno if theres walmart in Australia?) but it broke the first time i took it out to the zoo. This one is cheap and seems to hold up great even when lugging through the woods and fields. They also have ones that are a little shorter for about 10 dollars less....I know how it is stretching a dollar lol.
http://www.adorama.com/SU8001.html

Also for really cheap they sell bottle tripods that screw onto your camera, and then onto a soda bottle.

have fun with your new toy!

Thanks a lot for all of your feedback!

No doubt i'll do exactly what i have been told here, lol.

I will get a tripod when i go to get the camera on the weekend.

I'll let you know how i get on.

And i may snap a kangaroo for you :)

Most reactions

Back